Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Stop writing cr@p all over Buff's page thread. What bike is good for the job..  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
What changes did you make Donald? My one tries to rip my arms off everytime I ride it; the flywheel weight hardly made a difference.
Flywheel weight ( maybe more than yours ) and suspension mods . Of course I have found way too many 2 strokes where the power valve timing is incorrect , that on its own has a drastic effect on power delivery .

I had a RM250 that I used for Enduro..

The design (ergonomics) has not changed much since Greg Albetyn won the outdoor on it, and it is a very good track bike, it turns like few other.

It is also it's downfall for Enduro's, scrubbing off after a long straight, and it shakes like a wet dog... so even if you get the engine offroad "friendly", there are other characteristics that need taken care off.

So what are you saying Dave, I should bomb the thing and buy a KTM?
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Mambat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
What changes did you make Donald? My one tries to rip my arms off everytime I ride it; the flywheel weight hardly made a difference.
Flywheel weight ( maybe more than yours ) and suspension mods . Of course I have found way too many 2 strokes where the power valve timing is incorrect , that on its own has a drastic effect on power delivery .

The design (ergonomics) has not changed much since Greg Albetyn won the outdoor on it, and it is a very good track bike, it turns like few other.

It is also it's downfall for Enduro's, scrubbing off after a long straight, and it shakes like a wet dog... so even if you get the engine offroad "friendly", there are other characteristics that need taken care off.

What shyte you on about? You ride the legs off the RM! Ok sometimes she bites back but then I remember many
incidents of your "tame" 250F biting you  :lol8:

Setup the suspension and you good to go, that bike is still suspended for beeeeg MX g-outs!
Few times behind you I could see the arse kicking back and serious chop from the front end.

:ricky:
KTM 990S R.I.P
Z750
YZ250
GS1150 (Sold)
Broken & Resting...................zzzzzzz

Offline sting

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Would like to try a race on my Husqvarna WR250 (2T). Pulls like anything and should be perfect. Pity mine is so unreliable. Have pushed it 6km+ on two occasions in 35 degree heat.

I am surprised those bike are known to absolutly bullet proof.

Everything is new on it -pistons etc, but it blows spark plugs time and again. It breaks itself overnight in the garage. Apart from that it would make one serious race bike. personally I think it pulls better than any of the 250 2T KTMs I've had (and that's coming from the biggest orange fan out there).

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum

Do you want to do Enduro...yes
Do you want to do OffRoad...maybe, if you can live with the rake/trail...but this is not a bad idea:

I have done a bit to the bike like add a.... damper,

Do you want to play around at Atlantis...get fit   ;D

I'm a lot heavier than you, maybe that affected my experience, I just couldn't get used to the head shake.
Pity though, it was very nimble, and the engine lasted well.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:57:28 pm by Beserker »
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Robski

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Buy the ticket, Take the ride.
are you all at least agreeing that 2 stroke is the better way to go

Muz

I say yes
Kawasaki KX60 (1997). Yamaha TW200 (1998). Honda XR 200 (1988). Yamaha YZ80 (1998). Yamaha YZ125 (2000). Kawasaki KX250 (2006). 5 Vespa's  ('63 - '69) . Aermacchi / Harley Davidson Brezza 125 (1967). Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (1999). KTM 990 ADV. R (2010). All gone. Now have.. Vespa 125 Super '67.  KTM 690 (Oryx RS kit to come)

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
are you all at least agreeing that 2 stroke is the better way to go
Muz
I say yes

There are advantages to a 4t...but budget conscious is not one of them. 

Offline Dux

There are advantages to a 4t...but budget conscious is not one of them. 

Dave and the art of subtlety  ;D ;D
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time

What shyte you on about? You ride the legs off the RM! Ok sometimes she bites back but then I remember many
incidents of your "tame" 250F biting you  :lol8:

Setup the suspension and you good to go, that bike is still suspended for beeeeg MX g-outs!
Few times behind you I could see the arse kicking back and serious chop from the front end.

:ricky:

You probably are correct in a lot of what you say, and it has a lot more to do with me than the bike. But having said that I have seriously lost confidence on this bike, due to one or two of those incidents where it bit me  :-\

The last two or three rides were awful, and that was in the sand where the stock MX suspension is not such a hinderance. I would never dream of taking it on a rocky trail. I clearly remember shuddering when we were doing Esselbank and you commented on how much fun it would be on our MX bikes, I could not think of anything more daunting   :eek7:    

My tame KXF never bit me, I just fell on my head a couple of times due to stupidity  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:35:12 pm by Rough Rider »

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time

Do you want to do Enduro...yes
Do you want to do OffRoad...maybe, if you can live with the rake/trail...but this is not a bad idea:

I have done a bit to the bike like add a.... damper,

Do you want to play around at Atlantis...get fit   ;D

I'm a lot heavier than you, maybe that affected my experience, I just couldn't get used to the head shake.
Pity though, it was very nimble, and the engine lasted well.

You hit that on the head, I am about as unfit as I ever been in my life, which has a severe impact on my riding ability, especially in Atlantis.

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
RR...not sure what the diffs were between the RM and the RMX, maybe investigate that, and take it from there.

The RMX was raced successfully in the States, in Off road type events, but not Enduro (I cant remember the rider, but I remembered reading an article on his bike - bored out to a 280 if I remember correctly, and some suspension work done.)

To your point, doing rocks on the RM sound like a nightmare...I nearly died doing Montagu, one week after I bought the bike..I had blisters on my hands, feet and could hardly move the next week.

....but then CPR did the powervalve, and things got marginally better.

Offline Dux

The RMX was a great bike but discontinued in 98 , the RM was very successful in Europe on the Enduro scene , mind you the Yanks also used it with great success in their enduro championship .

But the big change needed for enduro's is the suspension and power delivery , so those are the things to concentrate on .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
A mate of mine had an RMX a few years ago and he loved the bike; he said it was a KDX on steroids. I think I had a ride on it but don't recall much about it.

I think I will give the suspension a go and have a look at the power valve; and if that does not work I will bomb it.

I recently rode a Freeride at Missverstandt dam and it was so easy, felt like I was cheating. I don't think I will buy a Freeride, unless of course I keep the RM for the sand.

Offline Mambat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
A mate of mine had an RMX a few years ago and he loved the bike; he said it was a KDX on steroids. I think I had a ride on it but don't recall much about it.

I think I will give the suspension a go and have a look at the power valve; and if that does not work I will bomb it.

I recently rode a Freeride at Missverstandt dam and it was so easy, felt like I was cheating. I don't think I will buy a Freeride, unless of course I keep the RM for the sand.

That is what I would do, suspension is the answer, get a decent revalve kit and soften the powervalve hit as per Dux  :thumleft:
Also bare in mind you are a "sandflea" ( A damn good one at that!) set the bike up for that type of riding not for rock hopping!

The Freeride is awesome but not for the weekend type riding you are doing, now if we were back at Franschoek then a different story all together!

BUT....

If its just a case of an itch that needs scratching  ;)
KTM 990S R.I.P
Z750
YZ250
GS1150 (Sold)
Broken & Resting...................zzzzzzz

Offline ALLAWYN

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
I am in a delicate state of mind searching, I came from an adventure background and feel that because of the latest model upgrades that "adventure riding" as defined by myself has finally reach the end of an era, but not to be discussed on this tread.

Where I live there is uncountable off road opportunities, not to be all explored in one lifetime! So why not the offroad scene, even some racing, it can quench my thirst for technical riding for the rest off my able riding life?

What bike, I am 1.95m, weigh 105 kg and I am fit.

I don't have a offroad, plastic bike, history and therefor also no 2stroke experience. A wonderful but very brave friend of mine lend me his second Ktm 300 and we did some rocks and steep up/downhills, but explosiveness off power of the 300 was something that I could not got use to? And my body positioning on the steep uphill technical stuff, eish!!!

I am going for it even if I train myself into a coma, BUT, even if I know all the theoretical philosophies about 2 versus 4 stroke, 300 Ktm or 350 Ktm I can not make that decision. I am going to buy the latest technology, so what should I do.

The terrain is mostly mountain goat paths with rocks in various sizes, steep uphills in high rainfall areas, thick overgrown bush so mooses are a must!

Offline Toors

I am in a delicate state of mind searching, I came from an adventure background and feel that because of the latest model upgrades that "adventure riding" as defined by myself has finally reach the end of an era, but not to be discussed on this tread.

Where I live there is uncountable off road opportunities, not to be all explored in one lifetime! So why not the offroad scene, even some racing, it can quench my thirst for technical riding for the rest off my able riding life?

What bike, I am 1.95m, weigh 105 kg and I am fit.

I don't have a offroad, plastic bike, history and therefor also no 2stroke experience. A wonderful but very brave friend of mine lend me his second Ktm 300 and we did some rocks and steep up/downhills, but explosiveness off power of the 300 was something that I could not got use to? And my body positioning on the steep uphill technical stuff, eish!!!

I am going for it even if I train myself into a coma, BUT, even if I know all the theoretical philosophies about 2 versus 4 stroke, 300 Ktm or 350 Ktm I can not make that decision. I am going to buy the latest technology, so what should I do.

The terrain is mostly mountain goat paths with rocks in various sizes, steep uphills in high rainfall areas, thick overgrown bush so mooses are a must!

get the 300 you'll get used to it - the later 300 models can be made quite a bit tamer (put green spring in etc) also put a mapping switch in - will also make make bike more controlable in tech.  300 is as perfect an all rounder bike as they get (especially for your weight and length. 

I have the 350 4t (I weigh 130kg) and absolutely love it - less twitchy than the 300 lot more tractable power, less vibration etc but more expensive to maintain (you really have to watch the fuel you use) - slightly heavier than the 300 (yes 5kg does make a difference) I made some mods to my 350 - bigger rear sprocket, KTM sx pipe; remapped it Map 1: very aggressive and map 2 very technical/mild, low seat etc.  The 350 wants to rev and you have to change gear more to keep it in the sweet spot.  - don't get a 450 unless you only do open stuff
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time

That is what I would do, suspension is the answer, get a decent revalve kit and soften the powervalve hit as per Dux  :thumleft:
Also bare in mind you are a "sandflea" ( A damn good one at that!) set the bike up for that type of riding not for rock hopping!

The Freeride is awesome but not for the weekend type riding you are doing, now if we were back at Franschoek then a different story all together!

BUT....

If its just a case of an itch that needs scratching  ;)

I will revalve the suspension and tinker with the powervalve and see how it works; if still not comfortable will bomb. 

Offline REVS

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
I own a virtually new 2008 RM 250 which I trail ride and mess about on. It is not really ideal for what I use it for and it is always trying to kill me.

I have done a bit to the bike like add a long range tank and a flywheel weight but it needs more so I am toying with the idea of throwing money at it to make it enduro friendly; things like Recluse clutch, 18" rear wheel, damper, complete revalve and respring of forks and shocks, reeds and reed block spacer etc. I think the WR gears work on the RM too, but will have to do some homework on that.

Do you guys think it is worth spending money on this machine, or should I just cut my loses and buy an enduro bike???  

Don't do the 18" tyre I did it on 2 bikes waste of fuel money. Rather take her to CPR or Tom 747 racing  so that they can tweak the suspension for you. also fit Billet clutch basket and hub one of my favourite mods. Also fit water bottel from a KLX 450 or WR 450 for when the bike overheats.
  So tell me Tau, you're saying EVERY manufacturer using 19" on MX bike and 18" on enduro bike doesn't know what they're doing?  Because an 18" sure as sh!t makes a big differance for me and most of the world!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:51:45 pm by REVS »

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
  So tell me Tau, you're saying EVERY manufacturer using 19" on MX bike and 18" on enduro bike doesn't know what they're doing?  Because an 18" sure as sh!t makes a big differance for me and most of the world!

I don't think he is saying that...he simply says that with reference to taming RR's RM250, and making it more enduro friendly (on a budget) look at spending money on suspension and get the motor to perform less than a SX machine.

I agree, rather than re-invent the RM, see if you can make it work for your intended purpose, if not, bomb it and get an enduro designed machine (and the 18" comes standard)

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Agito ergo sum
I don't have a offroad, plastic bike, history and therefor also no 2stroke experience. A wonderful but very brave friend of mine lend me his second Ktm 300 and we did some rocks and steep up/downhills, but explosiveness off power of the 300 was something that I could not got use to?

Considering your weight and length, I would imagine either a 300 2T or a 450 4T.

Regardless of which one you choose, not having off road/technical experiance, there is a learning curve involved.

Offroad competition bikes, by nature is more explosive than road going bikes...imagine that explosiveness on tar...your tyres, chain, sprocket and gearbox will not be able to sustain performance like that with the amount of traction available on tar and good gravel.

I don't think you should base your decision on a single outing...if possible go a few times, and don't try keeping up with your "off road" buddies. Give yourself time to adapt, and experiance the dynamics of offroading before you start pinning it.

Offline Etienne2T

Old people will tell you to go 2T cause in the old days try didn't maintain their 4ts properly and they blew up.
Fact is that 4t is much nicer to ride. You'd see, especially down here in CPT with the offroad dudes they go through these phases, then it's YZ250WR is the most amazing machine ever, then 2 years later they are all on KTMs, if buying new go 4t, if 2nd hand and you don't know the bike then 2t.
Have both and prefer the 4t