Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2013 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge.  (Read 4697 times)

Offline atkinse

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Stoetbul Mod 101
Re: 2013 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge.
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:49 pm »
2012 500 EXC. 510cc efi.
Work to live, Live to Ride

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2013, 05:55:01 am »
Ooh Naaice!!  :drif:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2013, 08:44:56 pm »
Here are some pictures before we left for scrutineering

and some fart-assing around before the prologue

Documentation went by quickly and without any problems, scrutineering started off with Team SebSports arriving with 6 quads and 1 bike.  When the TDCom guys checked the Iritrack and GPS it was found that my sentinel was not working and here is when the French and I got lost in translation. I was told to change the GPS and on returning with a new GPS was told they actually meant the sentinel! So off I go again to change the changed GPS and get a new sentinel. That fixed it was time for the dB test of the exhaust and remembering what happened to Kenesis last year, we insisted to warm up our engines before the crap was wringed out of it. It passed and moved along to be checked out for all the other stuff like condition of helmet, boots, chess protection and if you have a strobe light, compass etc, Peculiar is that they did not really show interest in any of our neck braces. All passed and we are cleared to race!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:04:19 pm by Skaiidawg »
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2013, 08:46:39 pm »
Scrutineering pics

Lined up for prologue – highest number first to go, so the quads opened the course followed by the bikes and cars. When it was my time to be presented to the millions of people watching, nah just kidding, I rode up the ramp and was introduced by the Arab lady announcer as “Rider 144, Eugene Moolman from……………….Russia!!!!! According to her RSA stand for Russia, ah well at least she got my name sort of right but was struggling with Przygonski and Juszkiewich. She also announced Collin Mercer to be from Germany while he is from GBR, Brittian.

A Carrots salute
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:30:02 pm by Skaiidawg »
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2013, 08:47:35 pm »

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:39:53 pm by Skaiidawg »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2013, 09:10:13 pm »

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:44:48 pm by Skaiidawg »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2013, 09:14:00 pm »

The prologue was fun but slippery for the quads and I can just imagine how slippery it was for the bikes. The fastest 15 quads and bikes could choose where they would start the following day. I was nicely in the middle of the pack and would start 11th the next morning. The conditions was shit at best, with wind and a lot of dust, got my roadbook went to the hotel to mark it and when we went to put the roadbooks on the quads it was raining cats and dogs, we all thought it would be lekker the following morning, it turned out not to be lekker, still high winds and lots of dust.
We all sat at the start and was later told to ride in convoy to the refueling point where a final decision will made if we would start or not. Eventually we were told to get on our own time to the bivouac about 120kms away by tar road. We stopped at a petrol station for chicken biryani and was joined by Helder Rodriques, very nice guy.

Potgieter & Coma

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:53:33 pm by Skaiidawg »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2013, 09:14:53 pm »
Image shack and WD site is FCUKING around, some double posts at the top so will post the rest tomorrow,

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:44:33 pm by Skaiidawg »

Offline Kenisis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dubai
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2013, 07:52:58 pm »
Thanks for Posting Bud!
2012 KTM 990 Adventure
2015 KTM Rally Replica
2016 Husqvarna FE 450
2017 Husqvarna FC 450

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2013, 03:39:09 am »
Awesome photos and story so far! Keep it coming Eugene. How is that cut healing up?
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2013, 03:07:06 pm »
I have corrected the previous posts and pictures, so for your enjoyment have a look from the start of my picture posts

At the refueling point there was even a Yamaha XT500   :biggrin:

From these photos you can see the dust storm we had

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2013, 03:18:53 pm »
Even with the long faces there was still smiles around

Coma washing the dust down with RedBull

From here we rode to the bivouac to be ready for the next day's stage.

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2013, 03:27:46 pm »
The following morning, I was waved off and after about 130kms liaison the rally proper started, I took off and relaxed and quickly got into a nice rhythm and start to overtake the quads and some of the bikes in front of me.  About 50 km from the service point I came way to fast over a sweeping dune, braked and broadsided the quad towards the steep side of the lip and before I could counter steer left, hit the lip and topple over! The quad and I rolled separately down the dune, I got up, try to shake some of the sand from me, got on the quad only to realize the left rear tyre came off the rim….FUCK….I tried to inflate the tire with tire weld but to no avail and as I was trying to inflate I heard one of the most awesome sounds ever, 6, 450 rally bikes bearing down on me, what a jaw dropping moment as Sunderland, Coma, Rodriques, Barreda-Bort, Goncalves and Israel came racing past, all within a second of each other.  I thought fuck it, I will ride the quad till service and have the tyre changed there. For the remaining 50 km, I took it easy but still maintained an average speed of 55km/h.  I refueled and the mechanics changed the tyre and 15 minutes later took off again and finished the stage in 4 hours 40 min, lying in 21st overall and 7th in the quad class.

Later we heard that Helder and Israel had an accident, apparently at refueling Helder told Israel to leave some gap between them as Helder could hear him all the time following him, well what happened is that Helder jumped a dune fell and scampered away from his bike as he could hear Israel’s bike, Israel landed on top of Helders bike, broke his arm and broke Helders rear shock. Word went around that Israel’s RB was still showing the refuel point, so speculation is about that he just followed Helder blindly and not navigating at all.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:29:56 pm by Skaiidawg »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2013, 03:34:42 pm »
The next morning saw me take off and again I found my rhythm and at the same time took it easy and careful of the drop-offs that some of the dunes have. These drop-offs are nasty because they have a nice and gentle rise with a near vertical drop on the other side, some in excess of 4 metres. On some of the sabkahs (flat plains) I clocked a top speed of 132km/h. For this stage the refueling and service point was in the bivouac. I arrived at the service point, feeling good and relaxed, drank some water and set off again.

Just after the refueling point we entered an area littered with these drop-offs I mentioned before.  About 10k’s from the refuel point I looked down on my RB for a split second and that split second was a split second too long!! I rode over such a drop-off, about 2.5m high, at about 30km/h and having no momentum or speed the quad bogged down  like an illegal Zimbo in Carletonville and me not expecting this shit was flung forward and I hit my face on the RB, ICO and front fairing and got knocked on the ribs by the GPS on the handle bars. That knock felt like a fucking mule kicked me on the chest! When I hit the nav tower I saw blood being splashed all over. Being at the bottom of a drop-off my immediate concern was that someone else might do the same and land on me and my quad, I pushed the up and down arrows on the GPS to set off the alert signal which immediately transmitted something is on the other side of that dune.   I tried to catch my breath and swore at the same time, but crap the blow on my ribs is tremendous. One of my team mates stopped and asked if I am ok, I tried to wave him over  and catching my breath, but in the confusion of me catching my breath and trying to wave him over in sign language that would have looked like someone doing the Harlem shake he read it as I am waving him off!

Another quad rider stop and I told him to help me lift the quad to get it unstuck, when he saw all the blood he nearly fainted and lucky for him, members of the sweep team pitch up and took control. They had a doctor in the car and she came over to assess the damage, I asked her to patch me up so I can finish the stage and then will attend to the cut. She, however, told me the cut was too deep and the helmet strap will just do more damage. 15 minutes later I was airlifted to a state of the art hospital in Madinat Zayed, where I got 23 stitches and was diagnosed with 3 fractured ribs. One of the cuts in my lower lip was right through and like Douw said I was seaping through it! The race dr advised me not to ride the following morning, but could ride the last day to finish the rally.

Blue is not really my color....

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2013, 04:42:52 pm »
So the next day I went to PC2 and took a couple of pics and I can tell you I was itching to ride, seeing all the riders come and go.

Riding down to a point where the competitors need to cross the road, I saw the other Saffa, Nick Black, quad 143,

being stopped by the chief marshal, he had a similar crash as me, and was also cut under the chin, oh the dreaded “quad kiss” however his cut was more serious than mine and that was him done and out of the rally  :'(

That evening I packed my bags as tomorrow is the last day and the whole circus need to get back to Abu Dhabi and went to bed, got up the next morning and felt rather stiff,  mount the quad and was the very last rider to be waved off due to all the penalties incurred. The previous night I spoke to the race director and the challenge rules are such that if you do not complete a stage you can with permission partake in the remaining stages and still finish the rally. They gave me permission to start, however I must start the stage and present myself at the stage finish, either by road or through the stage, and rode the quad to park ferme.  On the liaison to the stage start I felt that my ribs are pretty sore and I opted to just start and turn around and took the long way around on tar and then the last 75km of the stage until the stage finish. I was pretty sore but glad to have made it, I met Atkinse at the stage finish and set off with my team mates to park ferme where we parked the quads and bikes, went for a shower and returned for the ceremonial finish. This time around I was from South Africa and not Russia.

Rider 99, Robin Colgan, is in my books 1 of the luckiest persons alive.

On the last stage he fell  and broke his fairing, while a little dazed he went to fetch his broken fairing 2 metres away from the bike and the next moment a Mitsubishi came jumping over the dune , nosedived into his bike, rolled over back onto its wheels! Robin, the driver and navigator was truly shaken. I am glad nothing happened to him .

All in all a very good experience and I am looking forward to next year and hoping that apart from Kenesis more “outside dogs” will come and partake.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 04:48:47 pm by Skaiidawg »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2013, 05:00:58 pm »
Some of the cars and crew from SA

And others, just like yours truly, made it to the finish line! :hello2:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:06:05 pm by Skaiidawg »

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2013, 05:09:54 pm »
Awesome photos and story so far! Keep it coming Eugene. How is that cut healing up?
Cheers Neil, cut has healed up and looking good.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2013, 12:14:12 pm »
Sheesh, that's quite a story, well done again for pushing on despite your huge crash and coming back to race! :hello2:

You must have been riding like a man possessed to get in front of the top guys like you did on the first day!

How is the No 99 guy! :eek: Stories like that really scare me big time. Is there a big gap between the start time of the cars and bikes?

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2013, 01:17:52 pm »
Very well done on finishing Skaiidawg, and thanks for the great pics and stories. :thumleft:
'16 KTM 300 XCW