Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: “Bastervoetslaanpad: a thriller on a big dual sport bike in wet weather!”  (Read 5810 times)

Offline ThomTom

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
With some good sleep behind us, early the Monday morning, we washed Bastervoetslaan pad off the bikes.

Note that this smooth tyre on the big beemer is not recommended for the Bastervoetslaan.

Sad looking TOP Box, no major damage.

View from the cottage!

We headed north, direction Gauteng, over Lundean’s Nek over to Telebridge,

We tucked along the Lesotho border along the dirt roads to Ladybrand.

The Free State was hot and dry!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:35:43 am by ThomTom »

Offline DirtCopper

• Bikers have more fun than people
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • TAKE ME TO YOUR DEALER
 :sip: :sip: :thumleft:
Die SHERIFF van Groothond

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
Etter ek mis daai wereld.......wens ons kon sommer nou dadelik weer daar wees en mielies gooi op daai paaie.

Baie goeie werk sover en dankie vir die deel.  :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline ThomTom

on to Clarens where we stayed the night.  We even managed to find a restaurant in Clarens with live music, and that on a Monday night!

How do you always have live music?  I guess you appoint a waiter/manager that can play piano?

there was also a fellow playing some oldies...

We were up early Tuesday morning, getting back into stinking dirty riding gear; no quick solutions yet on that one; they vrot after a few days riding... headed home, through some thick mist,  to Johannesburg, in time for a 14:00 meeting at the office;  and all we have now is a memory of some of the best riding in SA.

and with that; "fluit fluit, my storie is uit"; untill a next time when The Achar boys, ride another Shozalosa through the night.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:56:05 pm by ThomTom »

Offline DRAZIL

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
Everyone back safe,camera memory sticks full,memories of the ups and downs  ===A great trip
Now the stories of the trip will grow with every braai you have. 8)
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
What an experience - thanks for sharing  :thumleft:
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
Thanks for sharing.   :thumleft:

Bastervoetpad is DS riding heaven.
But with your heavy bikes, with road tyres, in the rain it must have been a real struggle!

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline ThomTom

Not wanting to Hi-Jack your RR but here is a link to the RR Veldbrand wrote after the sad farewell of our mate Glen.

We pretty much had the same ride and experience.

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=90925.0

Firesquirrel, thanks for adding, your pics just look so familiar, I think going down the pass, like we did it is easier than coming up? downhill is easier, But if you touch front break, you wipe out so easy.  What was a killer in the end is a fitness level, when you are tired, you wipe out more!  A tip will also be to be a good boys scout, take drinks and a snack when you do not know how long it will take you on your rides,,,,,,

Offline Firesquirrel

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Hey Thom Thom.. it was a pleasure... thanx for allowing the intrusion..

The one thing you need for the "Basterd Voetpad" is a HUGE sense of humour....

Luckily Veldtie and I used to share a house in the early 80's and have been mates for near on 30 years... so we know each other well and this also helped me to know when to shut the F*&% up....

Still .... with a bit of prep..... a healthy outlook on what you may encounter and a good riding buddy..... it is easily some of the best riding and scenery I have come across in a long time !

Anyone can do it....  even though it took us two 50 year olds pleeeenty hours to complete !!
Current Bikes :  KTM 690

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
Hey Thom Thom.. it was a pleasure... thanx for allowing the intrusion..

The one thing you need for the "Basterd Voetpad" is a HUGE sense of humour....

Luckily Veldtie and I used to share a house in the early 80's and have been mates for 35 years... so we know each other well and this also helped me to know when to shut the F*&% up....

Still .... with a bit of prep..... a healthy outlook on what you may encounter and a good riding buddy..... it is easily some of the best riding and scenery I have come across in a long time !

Anyone can do it....  even though it took us two 50 year olds pleeeenty hours to complete !!
Gefieks tjom.

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.