“Bastervoetslaanpad: a thriller on a big dual sport bike in wet weather!”

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomTom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Achar Boys do another train trip!
"My name is Thomtom and I am an addict.  Yes, I am addicted to Ride Reports."
To admit the addiction is the most importnat step, or say they say?

I am sad to say, I have no intention on quitting either.  For years I was just a heavy user, but I now decided to also contribute.
P1110931.jpg

Which title, “Achar Boys do another train trip”!, “The 8 stunning passes in Eastern Cape”, and a number of other titles to this trip could be considered, BUT, let’s stick to “Bastervoetslaanpad: a thriller on a big dual sport bike in wet weather!”
Achar Boys, we are supposed have an interest in Arts, Culture, History, Antiquities and Recreation; but with most of our recent trips we diminished into an Ancient, Crocked, Hopeloos, Arthritic bunch of Reprobates.

P1110923.jpg

My new secondhand KTM; with a loose battery terminal, diagnosed later; some swearing on "why the battery was down there?", and wet weather made Bastervoetslaan a challenge, more about that later.

P1110919.jpg

We like to take the Shozalosa train to a place and bike back to Gauteng.  This time it was Johannesburg to East London.  The train left Park station on time at 14:20 on the Friday and we were in Queenstown at 06:00 the next morning.  We normally enjoy the dining car, some “Jannie Stap”, the one with the red jacket on (Johnny Walker) and some discussions on any Achar topic that will steadily deteriorate into plain crap!
P1110876.jpg

Unfortunately, this time there was no dining car but there was a kitchen and room serviced served us some nice “Pap and Vleis”, “Fish and Chips” and other delegacies.  We convinced the very nice train manager to let us off load the bikes in Queenstown.  With a good sleep behind us, we rolled into Queenstown station on time at 06:00.  Actually this is not all true, my cabin mates were grumpy when I fumbled around in the middle of the night for a few Panaodos, to ease the discomfort from a small kick on the head by Mr Jannie Stap.

P1110875.jpg