700km spontaneous therapy session

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LYCAN

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Going into the first weekend of February the plan was to spend the weekend at home and sort out the last few thing in and around my house, seeing that I have moved to Lydenburg at the end of December and haven’t been home for a weekend ever since. Keeping that in mind, I went to bed early on Friday night with a plan of action for the weekend. Around midnight I awoke and couldn’t seem to fall asleep again, so I did what any normal person would do. Made some coffee and sat back to catch up on some reading, not a book but the Wild dog Forum naturally. Around 3am, I found myself with the REAL NEED for some riding and bonding with my therapist (my GSA).
So now the question, where and how long?
Answer, don’t know and don’t care! Tanks can be refilled and food bought, only unavoidable appointment is on Monday morning 8am.
So, I got up and started packing. Camping gear, tools and clothing. Seeing that it was still early and I wanted to stop anywhere if I see something nice. Coffee being essential, a flask was also strapped on. I was ready to go….direction…maybe Dullstroom…why not?...don’t know…OK, sounds good

30km outside Lydenburg on the way to Dullstroom, I came across a monument dedicated to the British soldiers that died on the 9th of December 1901 during and after a skirmish with the boere, about a 100m down the road there is also a monument dedicated to the boer fatalities. A wonderful spot to take a coffee break, and enjoy the scenery.

After feeding the soul, it was on to Dullstroom. Nice bends to ride and potholes to avoid. But all of this can be done at 120+, while taking in the views that are crisp this time of morning. 7h30 saw me riding into Dullstroom and after a quick tyre pressure check (felt a little low), it was time to get a breakfast and look at the maps for the next direction. Here I found another historical site to check out. This place is dedicated to the Groottrek, and there are even ox wagon tracks on show. Dullstroom is quiet this early, and I set off. Outside Dullstroom towards Belfast, I took the gravel option towards Machadodorp. GPS said 30km, I said, bring it. Deflated tyres and assumed the meerkat and 3rd gear. Stopped about twice in order to appreciate the beauty that is nature. This is what adventure bikes are all about. Needed to get air in my tyres again, so I stopped off at Milly’s and reflected on the trip thus far.

Attachments

• 087 - coffee.JPG
    087 - coffee.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 423
  • 092 - british graves.JPG
    092 - british graves.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 422
  • 112 - bloedrivier monument.JPG
    112 - bloedrivier monument.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 418
  • 122 - dullstroom.JPG
    122 - dullstroom.JPG