Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: No more lane splitting for the Western Cape?  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Frog

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
No more lane splitting for the Western Cape?
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:39:41 am »
Not sure if already posted but I read today that Robin Carlisle, Western Cape transport MEC said yesterday " I am contemplating a regulation that will prohibit motorcyclists from riding between lanes - because that is where they die" "I am not saying we are going to implement but I am thinking about it"
Triumph Thuxton R
Triumph Bonneville T120
KTM 990R
KTM 990 Adventure (sold), BMW 650 Xchallenge (sold)
BMW 1200GSA (sold)

Offline lecap

Re: No more lane splitting for the Western Cape?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:47:04 am »
Waste of resources and breathable air.

Lane splitting is illegal in Germany. I rode bikes over there from the mid Eighties until 2000. No one gave a s4!+, everyone just did it. It's impossible to enforce a lane splitting ban. It was more of a legal / insurance issue if you had an accident while lane splitting they made it partially your fault.

If Robin Carlisle wants to save lifes why does he not enforce cagers wearing their seat belts and yes also in the rear seat and parents buckling up their kids. ???
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:48:36 am by lecap »
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Dogmatix

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • None the Wiser
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:48:18 am »
Where do these cretins get their information and how much thinking do they actually do? I'll tell Mr Carlisle what I'm thinking one of these days...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 06:16:35 pm by Dogmatix »
"Don't believe every quote you read on the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kobus

• RPMods
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:03:34 am »
He is a twatwaffle of a leader. I appreciate the fact that he wants to do things, but he says all these things without any research. Like lowering speed limits.

Like a person that works close to him said; "he likes his own voice".

Dream like you will live forever, live like you're going to die tomorrow

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Revelation 19
Motorfietsryers gaan dalk vasgevat word
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:06:35 am »
Motorfietsryers gaan dalk vasgevat word

2013-02-17 23:58

KAAPSTAD. – Motorfietsryers in die Wes-Kaap kan moontlik gedwing word om hulle soos “motorbestuurders te gedra”.

Dít nadat Robin Carlisle, Wes-Kaapse minister van vervoer en openbare werke, gister aangekondig het hy oorweeg regulasies om motorfietsryers vas te vat.

Motorfietsryers is die enigste kategorie padgebruikers waar die dodetal sedert 2008 toegeneem het – van 63 tot 84 in 2012.

Ook Kenny Africa, provinsiale verkeershoof, het gesê dit is ’n groot kommer wat aandag móét kry.

“Ons sal in gesprek tree met die verskillende motorfietsverenigings net soos ons die minibus-taxi’s aan boord gekry het. Ons sal ook skole, en spesifiek matrieks, teiken om hulle in te lig oor padveiligheid omdat hulle dikwels ook klein motorfietse gebruik.”

Volgens Carlisle het die aantal motorfietse op die paaie vermoedelik as gevolg van ekonomiese omstandighede toegeneem.

“Daar is drie sagte teikens op ons paaie – fietsryers, motorfietsryers en voetgangers. Dié sagte teikens moet dus meer versigtig wees.

“Ek oorweeg ’n regulasie waarvolgens motorfietsryers wat ander voertuie wil verbysteek dit nie tussen motors langs mekaar op paaie met veelvoudige bane mag doen nie. Daar sal egter eers behoorlike oorleg gepleeg word.”

Carlisle het gesê dié ryers moet hulle gedra asof hulle ’n motor bestuur en slegs aan die regterkant ’n ander voertuig verbysteek.

Minstens drie fietsryers is in Desember en twee in Januarie vanjaar in padongelukke dood.

Voetgangersterftes het afgeneem. – Alicestine October

- Die Burger

http://www.dieburger.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Motorfietsryers-gaan-dalk-vasgevat-word-20130217
Honda XL650V Transalp
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Online Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Revelation 19
Re: Motorfietsryers gaan dalk vasgevat word
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 08:09:11 am »
stem nogal saam met hierdie kommentaar:

belinda.vanniekerk.3 - Februarie 18, 2013 om 07:44
Verstaan ek reg? Mense ry soos hulle wil, hulle neem NIE motorfietsryers in ag wanneer hulle verbysteek, oorsteek, of self net van baan verander nie. Hulle jaag in ons vas, hulle stop nie by n rooi lig nie en ry n motorfiets raak en nou word ONS gestraf? ONS moet MEER versigtig wees. What a joke!!!!! Jou dom idioot KYK waar jy ry!

...en hou op om op jou selfoon te kyk as jy kar bestuur!  >:(
Honda XL650V Transalp
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline The Rock

• Revelation 19
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 08:10:11 am »
Honda XL650V Transalp
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:11:33 am »
The only place in the States where lane splitting is legal, California, just published a set of rules the govern it. Quite simple really -  read them here - http://bit.ly/XxIRJb
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline Hanno @ Mad Macs

• aka Hando . Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • http://dsadventure.wordpress.com/
    • Dual Sport Adventure
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 08:15:43 am »
Obviously is Robin Carlisle 'n oningeligde twatwaffle !
Shop 2- 4 . Melcksloot Village . Somerset mall. Somerset West. 021 852 4851

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:16:15 am »
They just tried that in France........... was mass rideout and similar what we did to the Waterfront........ thousands of bikers rode the streets, but all took the space of a car.............. traffic was chaos!

In the UK, I was told categorically by the MET Cops that we have to lane-split......... if you don't then what is the point of riding a bike, you might as well enjoy the warmth, comfort and music of a car....!

Check out this video.. ( :eek7:  cannot get the embedding right anymore....) http://youtu.be/QTi5PyWeraA

To lane split or not? The French Federation of Angry Bikers took to the roads in a 40,000 strong protest, after an official from the French Transport Ministry stated that the police would start pulling over and fining motorcyclists who lane split.

10,000 of the protesters made a point of taking up as much room as a car and not lane split which resulted in a massive road congestion in Paris, and after the French Transport Secretary Jean Marc Belotti said if bikers didn’t the like the idea that they couldn’t lane split anymore “they can take the metro like everyone else” which the bikers did and wearing full leathers, mobbing into the Paris subway system and blocking one of the lines.

… apparently the Transport Secretary has now had second thoughts and is re-considering the restrictions on lane-splitting.

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/4086/french-federation-of-angry-bikers-protest-against-lane-splitting-ban
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:22:13 am by Goose »
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Jman

• Bike: Suzuki XF650 Freewind
  • Ride the freewind like you stole it
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 08:16:27 am »
Hoekom maak hulle nie eerder 'n baan vir motorfietse nie, as die aantal aan die toeneem is.

Offline Hanno @ Mad Macs

• aka Hando . Forum Vendor
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • http://dsadventure.wordpress.com/
    • Dual Sport Adventure
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 08:33:05 am »
And by the way - who is the chairman of the Western Cape motorcycle association who applauded the idea (according to the radio)

Please can we have a vote of no confidence in this oke.
Shop 2- 4 . Melcksloot Village . Somerset mall. Somerset West. 021 852 4851

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:35:33 am »
I hope 'we' the motorcyclists will stand together to create chaos if this gets implemented.  F#ck that!

And F#uck the MAWC too!  I don't belong to them.  Arghhhh!!
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline mountainboy

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:40:16 am »
how about stopping that lady from doing her nails this morning , sitting in her cage while driving to work

shit dude, there are bigger fish to fry and bigger problems to solve

but that said - there are just way to many bikers on the road who also lacks commen sense, most of which are using the cheapie commuter  :-\
I love my bike..................

Offline Kobus

• RPMods
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 08:40:45 am »
And by the way - who is the chairman of the Western Cape motorcycle association who applauded the idea (according to the radio)

Please can we have a vote of no confidence in this oke.

This oke also sounded like a d&^s.

Who are they?

Me is most likely a Sunday morning racer on his supabike and not a commuter.

Anyway, on whos behalf did he speak.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 08:51:41 am »
Well.............. here's "Mr farking righteous Carlisle's"  email address for his PA............ dsmit@pgwc.gov.za

Interesting read here of the same tool!  http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2012-12-11-carlisle-and-car-key-confiscation-dont-go-with-the-traffic-flow/

I just LOVE Pierre Vos's utterance..........

Power does funny things to people. A communist who becomes a minister suddenly believes he has a right – at the taxpayer’s expense – to be driven around in a million rand limousine and to stay at the luxurious Mount Nelson Hotel, probably the most colonial of hotels in Africa. Democratic Alliance (DA) leaders who squeal day and night about the flouting of the Rule of Law by the ANC suddenly blithely advocate lawlessness on the part of law enforcement officers when they become MECs......The latest victim of this kind of power-sickness is a man named Robin Carlisle, the Transport and Public Works MEC for the DA Western Cape government.

:imaposer:

"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Snoekie

• BMW F650GS Dakar aka "Blikkies"
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 08:58:37 am »
Well.............. here's "Mr farking righteous Carlisle's"  email address for his PA............ dsmit@pgwc.gov.za

Interesting read here of the same tool!  http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2012-12-11-carlisle-and-car-key-confiscation-dont-go-with-the-traffic-flow/

I just LOVE Pierre Vos's utterance..........

Power does funny things to people. A communist who becomes a minister suddenly believes he has a right – at the taxpayer’s expense – to be driven around in a million rand limousine and to stay at the luxurious Mount Nelson Hotel, probably the most colonial of hotels in Africa. Democratic Alliance (DA) leaders who squeal day and night about the flouting of the Rule of Law by the ANC suddenly blithely advocate lawlessness on the part of law enforcement officers when they become MECs......The latest victim of this kind of power-sickness is a man named Robin Carlisle, the Transport and Public Works MEC for the DA Western Cape government.

:imaposer:

Goose, I have his direct email, any WD(s) that want to correspond with him in a professional manner on behalf of all of us?  Lemme know.......

Offline Kobus

• RPMods
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 08:59:37 am »
O ja, he is also the guy that want to implement a law whereby an ordinary traffic cop can decide that you look tired and confiscate your car keys for a couple of hours so that you can rest.

FFS

Offline nemodakar

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 08:59:42 am »
Hoekom maak hulle nie eerder 'n baan vir motorfietse nie, as die aantal aan die toeneem is.

Ja, dan ry in Govin Mbeki af, 1 baan vir busse , 1 baan vir mororfietse en een baan vir die taxi's om in te ry en stop soos hulle wil. Karre, ag te hel met hulle, los die goed by die huis, hulle is in elk geval net in die pad.

Of stel jy voor ons gaan nog 3 jaar deur pad verleggings sodat die paaie kan weier gemaak word en dan strike ons as hulle wil tol vra vir nog so 3 jaar.  :pot: