Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: No more lane splitting for the Western Cape?  (Read 5798 times)

Offline meteldog

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Alive and kicking
    • Tankwa Biking
Re: No more lane splitting for the Western Cape?
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2013, 08:40:14 am »
I think they should seriously consider allowing bikes 250cc or less to use the bus lanes. I commute on a 125, once on a freeway where you can't get up to the speed the cages go at they literally push you right off the road.
Cathsseta certified National Adventure Guide (WC9703)
it's all about the journey, not the destination
http://www.advbike.co.za
http://www.facebook.com/groups/111787138904704/

Offline jagter

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2013, 08:59:17 am »
I commute on a 125, once on a freeway

I can't remember of the top of my head now but is that legal? Isn't it above 125 for highways? Just check it out, especially if involved in an accident you might be held liable.

But I know what you mean. I've got a 150cc scooter. On the odd occasion that I've had it on a highway I've aged by 10 years every time. Trucks whooshing past is no fun.

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2013, 09:02:54 am »
125 and bigger allowed on highways afaik.

but even on my 200 it can get scary - especially with taxis on the N2. i tried that once!  :eek7:
Honda XL650V Transalp
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline Mr. Python

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Carpe Canum
« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:49 am »
Yip the minimum is 125 but it shouldn't be.
What ever you take on the highway should at least be able to do the speed limit.

My wife had a 200 vuka scrambler in the begining, we did one little tour and I bought her a DR650.
You have to sit in the yellow line, if you travel in the lane the cages squeeze past.

If you are moving just faster than the traffic you only have to worry about the kak coming at you from the front.
Life ....  when I was younger I had all these cool brave quotes and tag lines .... then life happened  ... and I have no socialialy acceptable  words 😶

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2013, 09:18:06 am »
What ever you take on the highway should at least be able to do the speed limit.

My wife had a 200 vuka scrambler in the begining, we did one little tour and I bought her a DR650.
You have to sit in the yellow line, if you travel in the lane the cages squeeze past.

If you are moving just faster than the traffic you only have to worry about the kak coming at you from the front.
and all the debris is usually in that part of the road, you are liable to get punctures there.

Offline meteldog

• Alive and kicking
    • Tankwa Biking
« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2013, 09:27:54 am »

True, I avoid freeways on my 125 and only ever really use the bit of freeway between Paarden Eiland and the city, which is a 80 zone, but the cages fly down there a lot faster than 80...
Cathsseta certified National Adventure Guide (WC9703)
it's all about the journey, not the destination
http://www.advbike.co.za
http://www.facebook.com/groups/111787138904704/

Offline ®©errie

• Incognito
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2013, 12:13:48 pm »
Wat is Lane Splitting??????????????
2003 Yamaha XT600e (Blouwa)
1993 Suzuki Djebel 200 (Project)
1984 Yamaha TT600 (Sold)
1984 Yamaha XT250T (Sold)
2001 Yamaha SR250 (RIP) 1997 Yamaha RX115 (Sold) 1987 Kawasaki KE100 (in bike heaven) :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw:  Ride Report: Verneukpan and Beyond

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2013, 07:45:43 pm »

:eek7: You serious?? :patch: :patch:
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #248 on: April 12, 2013, 09:38:59 pm »
Its on a need to know basis and you dont need to know :peepwall:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline ®©errie

• Incognito
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
« Reply #249 on: April 12, 2013, 11:35:33 pm »

No lanes here in sleepy Knysna  :imaposer:
2003 Yamaha XT600e (Blouwa)
1993 Suzuki Djebel 200 (Project)
1984 Yamaha TT600 (Sold)
1984 Yamaha XT250T (Sold)
2001 Yamaha SR250 (RIP) 1997 Yamaha RX115 (Sold) 1987 Kawasaki KE100 (in bike heaven) :paw: :paw: :paw: :paw:  Ride Report: Verneukpan and Beyond

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2013, 06:18:58 am »

Why do you assume that he knows?  Come on mate!
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2013, 09:19:53 am »

Why do you assume that he knows?  Come on mate!

OK, OK......here are some examples :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Andyman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • always available
No more lane splitting for the Western Cape?
« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2013, 09:40:41 am »
Actually, after engaging with Robin Carlisle, and when you've walked a few kilos in his shoes, then one can understand where this comes from.
I have me Gopro mounted on my chin guard, and I'm sending him clips, one or two each week, or as I fit it in in a busy day.
It's weaving that is the real problem as well as riding much faster than the stream while filtering or in either emergency lane.

While I've sent a lot of footage of cars doing silly things like jumping lanes without a plan or drifting while on their mobiles, I have also sent footage of mainly super bikes that weave, wheelie, stop beyond the line at intersections not before the line and other stuff I'm dead happy he tightens and enforces legislation on.

Filtering is riding in a more or less very straight line between two lanes at speeds not too much faster than the general flow - they do not have a problem with this.
Lane splitting is a crude term of filtering but it's the same thing.

Weaving, where the problem really lies is exactly that leaning the Ike L & R as you filter but going right into each lane, simply 'cos it feels so cool, and the cars cannot predict your next move.

Motorcyclists, like any other road user do have a responsibility to ride well and with due consideration of other road users.
We share the common road, common good sense suggests we treat others as we expect to be treated.
I commute 52 kilos daily on a 1200GSA, N2- R300- N1.
For some 15 years now and never yet had an event.
I filter between lanes and often overtake bikes than can ride fast in clear lanes ,but are scared of narrow gaps.
So the bike that tore off down the road from the lights I catch up and pass when we reach real traffic.
I'm in full support of enforcing all road legislation- 'cos I still wanna be posting in ten yrs time when I'm 61.

It's weaving that is causing the shit, not the filtering.
Weaving and emergency lane riding.
Andyman
Anyone can ride a bike fast. But can you ride real slow?

Offline Andyman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • always available
No more lane splitting for the Western Cape?
« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2013, 09:48:03 am »
Robin Carlisle has invited discussion and for sure, bikes in bus lanes is on the table.
We are fortunate in the Western Cape, where 98% of motorists realize a bike on the road is better than a car sharing their lane.
They see us coming and give us space
45 pppkm of riding since I bought this GSA last year is enough riding to know this.
I do roughly 44 loo in a low year and 55 000km in a high year (50% off tar) and loving every minute.

I ride my brothers 1150GS in the UK and in Europe and I ride in Jozi and Durban on other bikes.
western Cape is where I feel safest.

Maybe some dogs can also engage with Robin Carlisle, MEC for safety and sec here in the WC.
Several bike clubs are also in discussion, there has been a lot of interesting input.
Looking forward to seeing bikes included in bus lanes.

As for taxis, my experience is most of them are bike aware here and we share the road easily together.
Brights and orange headlight covers are a big help.
Andyman
Anyone can ride a bike fast. But can you ride real slow?

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2013, 12:13:55 pm »
Robin Carlisle has invited discussion and for sure, bikes in bus lanes is on the table.
We are fortunate in the Western Cape, where 98% of motorists realize a bike on the road is better than a car sharing their lane.
They see us coming and give us space
45 pppkm of riding since I bought this GSA last year is enough riding to know this.
I do roughly 44 loo in a low year and 55 000km in a high year (50% off tar) and loving every minute.

I ride my brothers 1150GS in the UK and in Europe and I ride in Jozi and Durban on other bikes.
western Cape is where I feel safest.

Maybe some dogs can also engage with Robin Carlisle, MEC for safety and sec here in the WC.
Several bike clubs are also in discussion, there has been a lot of interesting input.
Looking forward to seeing bikes included in bus lanes.

As for taxis, my experience is most of them are bike aware here and we share the road easily together.
Brights and orange headlight covers are a big help.

Can you ask mr Carlisle to legalize that please?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline DeadMeat

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2013, 06:56:20 pm »
I ride/lane-split 92km everyday with orange/amber headlight on bright and 2x27w LED white spots.
Best investment ever.

Have been pulled over a few times to check drivers licence and bike licence, never once given kak about the headlight.

I have now upgraded my brake light to a flashing red LED and it has helped cages/taxis backoff when they too close. Once again cops havent given me any trouble (I even tried it out at traffic lights a few times to see if they would make a fuss. Nothing)

Loud bikes saves lives as they say, well my CBX250 Twister is about as loud as a mosquito on steroids. I opt for the visibility route
Honda QR50 '1984' (Running and used when camping (and pub crawling))
Honda Express NC50 '1976' (Rebuilding)
Honda CBX250 Twister '2010' (Retired Commuter with 140 000km on the clock)
Honda NC750X DCT '2015' (New Commuter)
BMW F650 Funduro '1998' (Weekender Toy with 132 000km on the clock and running like a virgin)

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #256 on: April 13, 2013, 07:05:29 pm »
I ride/lane-split 92km everyday with orange/amber headlight on bright and 2x27w LED white spots.
Best investment ever.

Have been pulled over a few times to check drivers licence and bike licence, never once given kak about the headlight.

I have now upgraded my brake light to a flashing red LED and it has helped cages/taxis backoff when they too close. Once again cops havent given me any trouble (I even tried it out at traffic lights a few times to see if they would make a fuss. Nothing)

Loud bikes saves lives as they say, well my CBX250 Twister is about as loud as a mosquito on steroids. I opt for the visibility route

I have a suggestion w.r.t. getting your bike to sound more audible......simply cut the end can off & throw it away :pot: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: ;) Sorry....just couldn't resist that one ;) :biggrin: :biggrin:

Seriously though.... I truly believe that it should be made LAW & enforced to make it compulsory to have some form of Amber/Orange lighting on the front of bikes ;) :thumleft: :thumleft:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:07:57 pm by Bring It On »

Offline DeadMeat

« Reply #257 on: April 13, 2013, 07:07:40 pm »
Best investment ever.

I have a suggestion w.r.t. getting your bike to sound more audible......simply cut the end can off & throw it away :pot: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: ;)

LOL - I live in a very very quiet complex, the neighbours will hate me.....
....then again i own this place, screw the neighbours :)
BMW F650 Funduro '1998' (Weekender Toy with 132 000km on the clock and running like a virgin)

Offline vigilant

« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2013, 07:36:57 pm »

Weaving has saved me more than once, taking a diagonal line between cars gives you a slightly bigger space between you and the car while traversing the blind spot area.

I don't pretend that cars see me, i try keep myself as far away from them as possible at all times.

You never hear bikes coming up from behind, even if they sound zorst. They come flying past me each morning, i seldom hear it in time to react in any way before they are level with me, and i'm listening out for it, without any music or distraction.
Ride the lightning

Offline DeadMeat

« Reply #259 on: April 13, 2013, 07:42:43 pm »

Weaving has saved me more than once, taking a diagonal line between cars gives you a slightly bigger space between you and the car while traversing the blind spot area.

I don't pretend that cars see me, i try keep myself as far away from them as possible at all times.

You never hear bikes coming up from behind, even if they sound zorst. They come flying past me each morning, i seldom hear it in time to react in any way before they are level with me, and i'm listening out for it, without any music or distraction.

you have double glazing windows? LOL

I hear them a mile away when in a rented cage away from home