Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: No more lane splitting for the Western Cape?  (Read 6263 times)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Re: No more lane splitting for the Western Cape?
« Reply #200 on: February 21, 2013, 03:57:38 pm »
It has probably been asked a million times.. but, if you are lane splitting

and someone walks between the cars without looking

you hit said person and fall off your bike damaging the bike and one or 2 cars

Who is responsible for the pedestrians injuries
Who is responsible for the bike rider injuries and bike damage
and who is responsible for the car damage

I would reckon the pedestrian is responsible for everything.

If you were legally lane splitting and some idiot appears from nowhere, I don't see anyone else being at fault?

(not basing this on any legal knowledge.  Just opinion)

I think the legality of it is mostly on the pedestrian's side.

Dunno about highways though - according to law pedestrians are not supposed to be on a highway...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »

I would reckon the pedestrian is responsible for everything.

If you were legally lane splitting and some idiot appears from nowhere, I don't see anyone else being at fault?

(not basing this on any legal knowledge.  Just opinion)

I think the legality of it is mostly on the pedestrian's side.

Dunno about highways though - according to law pedestrians are not supposed to be on a highway...

if lane-splitting is not illegal and the pedestrian did not cross at a designated pedestrian crossing, how can it be the biker's fault?
Honda XL650V Transalp
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:09 pm »

That almost happened with me the other day at Lagoon beach. Cars are standing still when all of a sudden two mamas step out right in front of me.

I almost soiled my pants....

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2013, 04:18:47 pm »

That almost happened with me the other day at Lagoon beach. Cars are standing still when all of a sudden two mamas step out right in front of me.

I almost soiled my pants....
happened to me. knocked down a big mama and very nearly dropped my bike!  :eek7: they just dont look!
Honda XL650V Transalp
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2013, 04:24:09 pm »
Yeah I ask cos I saw it happen yesterday

A mama just walked out onto the road, I was lane splitting with a vuka scooter in front of me, I was'nt bothered though he was doing a stand up job.. then wham he smacked into her out of nowhere, he fell over taking out a side mirror of an AMG

Now I stopped to help the oke who was clearly in a lot of pain

The mama just stood there, she was ok but clearly upset.

The oke got out of the car and was also quite upset wondering who was gonna pay for his car

and the scooter oke who took the worst of it was the most upset cos he was hurt and his bike was damaged, i followed him home to make sure he rode ok, he lived in Edgemead.

In the end everyone went their own way and took care of their own accounts, but it just got me thinking. If everyone started talking lawyers who would legally be liable, it may just change how I think if lane splitting. Especially if it becomes illegal one day.

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2013, 04:28:08 pm »
if lane-splitting is not illegal and the pedestrian did not cross at a designated pedestrian crossing, how can it be the biker's fault?

If a pedestrian run at the front of a car (where you can't see as a driver) towards and into the road without looking and a car drives over the pedestrian, killing him or her then the driver is in for a bit of trouble.

Part of the K53 program and also by law as far as I can remember - I'm not saying it makes sense - I'm just saying how it was when I got my license.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Buddy

« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2013, 04:31:00 pm »
Stand up, look up.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Online I&horse

• You look like a
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • was Andy 950
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2013, 04:31:54 pm »
Thats why you should ALWAYS stand in traffic, so you can see over the cages ;D

IMO splitting is the biker's responsibility, if you split between a car and a truck and you can't see if someone is behind the truck about to cross your path, then you slow down until you can.

Never split past a Taxi on the left hand side, don't split past a F250 at speed, because you can't see whats behind it etc...

If you can't see, slow down to a manageable speed, its simple really ::)
Silence is golden...... Duct tape is silver

Everything works with smoke, if the smoke escapes, it stops working.

Offline The Rock

• Revelation 19
« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2013, 04:32:47 pm »
Stand up, look up.
over trucks/busses?

i always slow down when coming to the front of a truck as thats were they tend to pop out unexpectedly!
Honda XL650V Transalp
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2013, 04:34:57 pm »
you can't see if someone is behind the truck about to cross your path, then you slow down until you can.

If you can't see, slow down to a manageable speed

This have saved my bacon more than what I can remember...

Offline jagter

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #210 on: February 21, 2013, 04:40:00 pm »
you can't see if someone is behind the truck about to cross your path, then you slow down until you can.

If you can't see, slow down to a manageable speed

This have saved my bacon more than what I can remember...

Yep. I've actually made contact with pedestrians more than once.  By made contact I mean just that, basically touched them, and them touching me with big eyes.  No one hurt, and no bikes dropped. If I was hauling ass, it would have been a different outcome.

Moved out of Cape Town a few years ago, but when I lived there I eventually stopped lane splitting at the robot just where you leave the city to get on the N1 near the waterfront.  ALWAYS people running over the road between stationary cars, without looking. Connected more than 1 big issue seller/pedestrian there.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #211 on: February 21, 2013, 04:46:36 pm »
I eventually stopped lane splitting at the robot just where you leave the city to get on the N1 near the waterfront.  

Yeah - that intersection is especially bad.

Btw - its hard to find that combination of fear/relief in someone's eyes are than when you are going slow enough when they jump out in front of you in that moment from when they notice you coming towards them and then realising that you are in fact going to stop in time.

:imaposer:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:47:00 pm by Eisbein »

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #212 on: February 21, 2013, 05:34:10 pm »
Oh @#$, just remembered I almost took off a woman's car door not so long ago.

Moving towards the front of the que at the lights opposite the Paddocks shopping centre to take my right when her passenger opens the passenger door to get out in the middle of traffic.

I still don't know how I missed her but my nought was chowing through to the seat and when I looked back they were sitting in the car laughing.

I wasn't.

Offline Bacchus2

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #213 on: February 21, 2013, 06:39:24 pm »
I know what that feels like. Passanger opened the car door on the N1 near the Durban road offramp. Traffic was standing still because of an accident so she thought it would be easier to walk! Good thinking on her part, just a pity she didn't make an effort to look before opening the door. Missed her and the door by a ball hair!  :-[

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #214 on: February 21, 2013, 08:57:39 pm »
Thats why you should ALWAYS stand in traffic, so you can see over the cages ;D

IMO splitting is the biker's responsibility, if you split between a car and a truck and you can't see if someone is behind the truck about to cross your path, then you slow down until you can.

Never split past a Taxi on the left hand side, don't split past a F250 at speed, because you can't see whats behind it etc...

If you can't see, slow down to a manageable speed, its simple really ::)

This is good common sence.. but it has nothing to do with the legality of who is right

Amazingly we have all had close shaves, but I have yet to find anyone who has actually taken someone out lane splitting and has ended up in legal kak for it and has survived to tell the tale.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2013, 09:40:54 pm »
One of the most hectic spots for us guys "lane splitting"....is in the region of the Koeberg interchange!!!!!! 456..... I can vouch that I have come very DAM close to connecting some of the "Frikking Dum-Ass & Totally Brain Dead" TWITs....that insist on running across the N1, just after the interchange going into town.

The fact is that it is becoming darker in the mornings now & becoming ever more difficult to spot these Stupid Brain-DEAD Twits!!!! Very often what happens is that they misjudge the flow/speed of the traffic,.....they get stuck in between two of the lanes.....now we come around the bend (while lane splitting) & all of a sudden have nowhere to go,.... because of this "waste of precious oxygen Twit".... is standing in the middle of the road. Keeping in mind that there is a bridge they can safely walk across,.... about 20 meters away.
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2013, 09:48:11 pm »
Bring it under the attention of Traffic services  :thumleft:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2013, 09:50:52 pm »
Don't get me started on bridges.

Everyone ran across the road from summer greens to Montague gardens, a few of them ended up under buss wheels and there was a massive public outcry

Why the fuck they can't cross at the robot is beyond me.

So the DA raises....... wait for it......... 13 million rand to build a pedestrian bridge so that the stupid assholes don't have to walk the 500m to the robot.

Now they just walk under the bridge, the stupidity blows me away, I don't think I have ever seen anyone even use the bridge and they are still being taken out by buses.

Now they are onto the next one.. the N7 by Du noon, the disadvantaged steal all of the vibracrete slabs and now the kids or drunk okes walk onto the N7 and get taken out, now guess what they are demanding, you betcha, a footbridge.

Whatever.. like I said, don't get me started

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2013, 10:02:36 pm »
Bring it under the attention of Traffic services  :thumleft:

This I have done.....more times than I can remember!!!! They police it for a while, get some company to fix the wire fence along side the road.....but without fail...only a few days later a new hole is made & the cycle repeats itself all over again & again & again.

Not to come across as being harsh..... but you know that feeling that you sometimes just wish someone can just drop "Stone-Cold DEAD"......well I openly & honestly wish that on a daily basis, that they would do just that before they make that fatal dash across the Highway.....so that my wife & I don't have to face the possibility of being forced to face Death in the Eyes, as we meet this Brain-Dead idiot standing in the middle of the Frikking Highway.
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline ChinaPete

• 乘风破浪
  • Bike: Singer (all models)
« Reply #219 on: March 03, 2013, 03:05:34 pm »
A link to a posting on the BMW club site re correspondence with Robin Carlisle about the lane splitting issue.

http://www.bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/discussion-robin-carlisle-re-lane-splitting