A garage I can only dream of.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisl

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Slept a bit late on Sunday and after MissesL said she did not feel like riding tody I left home at 9.30.
Tar all the way to Riversdale and over the Garciapass and turned off left at the Buffelsdrift sign. I have passed
this sign so many times but were always on my way somewhere or on my way back. Today I'm riding it!!!

IMG_1073_zpsee0f2773.jpg

There is no better smell than that of cut lusern. (OK dieselfumes on a cold morning is also up there)

IMG_1074_zps4a2feca9.jpg

My kind of road. Narrow and twisty.

IMG_1077_zpsd5378b15.jpg

So I passed this old farmer.
I ask: stel oom die hok vir ystervarke?
Says he:Bojane
I ask: wat doen oom met die bobbejaan as oom hom gevang het?
He says: skiet hom innnie kop!!! (he was not a man of many words)

He had a whole orchard full of Quice (kwepers)
I can understand to baboons living off the veld his orchard must be like a Fruit&Veg!!!

IMG_1075_zpsd060f90b.jpg

Fordson Super Major. One of the toughest tractors ever build but with one flaw. Crap starters.
Hence they are always parked on a hill for easy runstart and they do start very easy. We had one when I was
a kid.

IMG_1076_zps342eb355.jpg

This lot says they have heard of this Stofdonkie oke but have never seen him ;)

IMG_1081_zpsa075ce61.jpg

Sometimes the road runs close to the river.

IMG_1078_zps926e17ca.jpg

I guess this house has a lot of stories to tell.

IMG_1079_zps382ea915.jpg

Towerkop in the distance.

IMG_1080_zpsdca2cfd8.jpg

As I came over a blind rise(too fast) this meter + Puffadder was in the middel of the road.
By the time I stopped and had me camera out this is all I could see.
Luckily for me he mubbled something of it being my lucky day as he has toothache!!! :imaposer:
This was one big fat mother with a massive head. :eek7:

IMG_1082_zps5da5aa80.jpg

I joined the R62 and turn left towards Baryydale for a few kilos and then turned left on a twospoor road to
a client of mine. He retired here on this farm that had nothing on and had built a beautiful house with
stunnings views. His whole household runs on solarpower and even the borehole is pumping with solar.

View from the frontstoep.

IMG_1083_zpsa6789e5b.jpg

Backstoep.

IMG_1085_zps721766d4.jpg

A tortoisshell they picked up in the veld.

IMG_1086_zpsa7560824.jpg

Johan himself with one of four cats. This one a Presian ball of hair. I guess if you shaved it there'd be nothing left!!! :eek7:

IMG_1084_zps5d977f1b.jpg

And then the garage. Can one man be so lucky?!!!!!!! :eek7:
1150 GS - 22 000 kilos.
Ducati Multistrada 1000.
KTM 990.
Truimph 955i.
KLR 650.

I have not checked all clocks but I think all the bikes except the GS has less than 20 000 kms on.

IMG_1087_zpscd904e05.jpg

So I ask him: Oom nou watter een is jou favourite?
He says: depends where I'm riding to.
Quickly back to the Free State =The Truimph.
Dirt = The KTM.
If he wants to listen to beautifull pipes= The Ducati(he started it and it was the noiziest engine I have ever heard!!!!) :eek7:
Taking his wife along =The GS.
For getting the paper on a Sunday= The KLR.

IMG_1088_zpsd0205c8a.jpg

I have ridden with Oom Johan before. He is one of those naturals. He can ride/drive anything at speed easily.
He has a Alpha standing at his beachhouse too for when he wants to fly on four wheels.

IMG_1089_zps7b692f9f.jpg

IMG_1090_zps3a23080a.jpg

After drooling over all these bikes the thought of asking Johan if he would adopt me crossed my mind
but then I thought I would I spare him the embarisment of declining!!!!! :imaposer: :eek7:

They do live in a stunning spot but nothing in life is perfect it seems.
They have a big problem with baboons the moment they leave the farm. They even bite the wooden windowframes.
Break off light and then crap everywhere!!!!

IMG_1091_zps7b10a35d.jpg

I ride back to the R62 and turn off left at another sign saying Buffelsdrift. I had to take this one for Dorsland.

IMG_1092_zpsb18257ad.jpg

I quickly stopped at Koedoeskloof but seemed Veldbrand and Veldblom might have taken their bikes for
a spin. I make my way to Karoo Rider whom I pass halfway to town. Himself also on his way to Koedoeskloof.
We "kuiered" at his house untill 5 and he rode with me on the same road which I took in the morning.
Dankie vir die kuier Jan.
"Konvoesing" this because on this side it says Baviaanskrans and the other side Buffelsdrift. Karoo Rider did give an
explanation for "konvoesing" signs.

IMG_1093_zps59f9b976.jpg

Back on tar I opened up a bit as I still had some animals to feed.
The little klofie just before my house.

IMG_1095_zpsae414931.jpg

It was a great day of little riding but lots of "kuiering" :thumleft: