Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Richtersveld  (Read 806 times)

Offline Rodlau

Richtersveld
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:23:00 pm »
I am going fishing in the Richtersveld in August 2013 to do some fly fishing for yellows.  It is a group from our fishing club.  We are staying at De Hoop camp site in the Richtersveld National Park.  There is absolutely zip there, no drinking water and you must even take firewood in with you.  Because all must be taken in, we will need to take a trailer with us.  All I got is a Venter type trailer with 12 inch wheels.  We are  going in a 4 x 4 as recommended by Sanparks.  Will the Venter by OK or must I use a 4 x 4 type trailer with large wheels etc?  We will be at De Hoop for about 6 days and as the Engel will only last on a 105 amp battery about 3 days.  To buy a 2nd deep cycle is one hell of an expense to use once.  How do I keep the wine and soda cold after 3 days  ???  Any tips will be welcome

Offline Serf

Re: Richtersveld
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 08:10:26 pm »
The trailer will be ok as long as you take it slow and dont overload it. Going up akkedispas has a few big rocks etc, and going down in the riverbed has some thick sand and rocks. Rather pack the heavy stuff in the 4x4. The road to De Hoop is not that bad. You wont be able to go out at the South gate as those passes are a bit more difficult. You will have to go out at Sendelingsdrift.

You are looking for trouble if you run the fridge off the main bty. You can ride around every day to charge the bty but rather look for an alternative.

Enjoy it

Offline GSAZA

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:09:11 pm »
Went there 5 years ago with the rod,luna 80 l with 2nd battery system on cole hershy solinoid and stood for 7 days at de hoop and various other spots.Fishing was fantastic but no challenge....you will eventually grow tired and drive(charge)around.Generators was not aloud but you get real quiet ones nowadays.Take enough wood,the silence is an immense experience and the fishing :thumleft:
By far my best holiday ever ;D

Offline Dawid S

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • A Quad
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 07:01:37 pm »
Drive around to charge batteries. Last time we were there we caught some " koringkrieke" for bait, man did we had some action with the barbels!!!!!!!!
I had to dive into the river twice to recover my fishing rod.

Offline Rodlau

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:01:33 pm »
How do you catch a koringkriek?  Listen and then pounce on him?

Offline Dawid S

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • A Quad
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:24:30 am »
We were lucky they were all over the area while we were there.
Ugly thing it is.
Just put a plastic bag over your hand an catch it. It is a a cannibal, those squashed on the road are eaten by the live ones.
Just look out for the thorns - horns - pricks on their back.
 Proper name is Eugaster longipes   

Offline Serf

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 07:07:10 pm »
Went there 5 years ago with the rod,luna 80 l with 2nd battery system on cole hershy solinoid and stood for 7 days at de hoop and various other spots.Fishing was fantastic but no challenge....you will eventually grow tired and drive(charge)around.Generators was not aloud but you get real quiet ones nowadays.Take enough wood,the silence is an immense experience and the fishing :thumleft:
By far my best holiday ever ;D

No generator is silent! Last year an idiot camped next to us - the first night his campsite ooked and sounded like sandton. The next day I politely told him that he will fish to find his generator. That night it was nice and peaceful as it's suppose to be in the Rveld.