Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tuareg Rally 2013  (Read 3409 times)

Offline SteveD

Tuareg Rally 2013
« on: March 07, 2013, 12:58:54 pm »
The  Tuareg Rally 2013 starts with scrutineering tomorrow, racing on Saturday.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cSz77puYJWY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cSz77puYJWY</a>

Though there is no live coverage  :( Jenny and Piglet will be there providing on-the-ground reports as the race progresses.
The home page of the race itself is http://www.tuareg-rallye.com/
http://tuareg-live.com/ appears to be a blog, not sure who will post there
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865985 is the Advrider page, and it seems rather active  :biggrin:

Scanning through the entry list, I see a lone South African - Adriaan Geldenhuys, riding a KTM 690 Rallye.
Anybody know him?

Other noteable riders:
Ned Suesse aka Neduro
Tony Schattat, of www.rallyenavigationsolutions.com. The designer of those RNS instruments is a rider! Got to respect that, designer and test pilot.
Dave Peckham, the guy behind www.rallynavigator.com. Brilliant application, and for free nogal  :ricky:

I have attached some pictures, all taken from Advrider.
The lion fairing looks  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:48:13 pm by SteveD »

Offline SteveD

Re: Tuareg Rally 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 01:01:47 pm »
Saturday's stage 1 is apparently 100km.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:48:40 pm by SteveD »

Offline ChrisMann

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 02:23:25 pm »
Great fun. Am I right if I say it is a more relaxed rally for the amateur than the Dakar?
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 02:31:36 pm »

Scanning through the entry list, I see a lone South African - Adriaan Geldenhuys, riding a KTM 690 Rallye.
Anybody know him?

WHAAAAT?? Is this true? Sure hope so.... :thumleft:

Pls confirm Mr Geldenhuys.
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Panne

• Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 02:39:49 pm »

Anybody know him?

Mr Geldenhuys would've been there...  :-\

but then he decided to break his hand, which has still not completely recovered! Might have to go for an op! ::)
"Daar is honde wat maar net hoef te knor. Dit is diť wat reeds tevore gewys het dat hulle kan byt." - C.J. Langenhoven

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 02:50:45 pm »

Anybody know him?

but then he decided to break his hand, which has still not completely recovered! Might have to go for an op! ::)
Eish Panne, still not sorted...

Send my regards to Mr Geldenhuys.  :biggrin:
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline SteveD

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 03:47:03 pm »

Anybody know him?

Panne, is that you? Confusing, this business of entries being in the persons name. Can't they just use the forum names, like normal people!
Hope the hand feels better  ;D

Offline SteveD

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »
Posted on Advrider:

Training day 2

Today we had our second training day. Timi and I where doing two training sessions together, one after breakfast and one after lunch. One session on myself to train some speed in the dunes and on the pistes.

Let's start at the beginning. Timi did very well on the first smaller dunes but this was just to warm up and soon we both got several times stuck in some really soft and difficult dunes. She could improve her skills in picking up the bike, turning it around, pushing it down, picking it up again and so on... This is a very exhausting matter.

After 2 hours the batteries of Timi where pretty empty and a little frustration and disappointment was recognizable (she is a very ambitious woman). She showed a lot of willpower and perseverance. I was really proud of her, these dunes are not as easy as the ones we know from Morocco. I think next Saturday there will be a real battle in the dunes here in the dunes of Douz when around 190 motorcycle racers will start for the first special and some first timers will have to suffer a lot.

In the afternoon session, after a good lunch, Timi got her energy back and her confidence was growing again. She had a lot of fun, reconicebly at her big smiles. All in all a very good performance on her second day in the dunes.

As Timi was not in the mood for another session in the dunes, this was the moment for me to decide to have a quick round on myself through the dunes in a speedy session, which I enjoyed a lot. After a very satisfying training ride of 1,5 hours, I was a little over motivated and fell of the bike while making a wheely (like I do every second year ) on a sandy piste for the local public (shame on me). So I fell pretty hard on my back and it hurts a lot. I think I'm lucky that I can start on Saturday and it is probably the nessecairy signal from above, that tells me that I have to control my emotions more again, like I did in the Africa Race last January. Always when things are going well, I get over exited and then this kind of things do happen... (me stupido).

Tomorrow, Tony Schattat will help me to fix the bike, especially some broken parts on the navigation tower. The disassembladge of the broken plastic and bend metal parts could be done by myself this evening. And tomorrow I will start asking around in the bivouac if some friendly fellow racers can help me out with selling me some parts for replacement of the broken ones. If not available, we will have to go to town and let them be custom made by a local craftsman. In Douz there are more car workshops then anything else. It's the most important Trade in town, by the looks of it .

I will keep you informed, as time let's me!

Follow us on:
http://rally.macad.ch/
http://www.facebook.com/guillaume.martens.9
@macadrally (twitter)

Hang lose.
Guillaume

Offline Robski

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Buy the ticket, Take the ride.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:24:26 pm »
Looks like an awesome race to participate in!
Kawasaki KX60 (1997). Yamaha TW200 (1998). Honda XR 200 (1988). Yamaha YZ80 (1998). Yamaha YZ125 (2000). Kawasaki KX250 (2006). 5 Vespa's  ('63 - '69) . Aermacchi / Harley Davidson Brezza 125 (1967). Honda XRV750 Africa Twin (1999). KTM 990 ADV. R (2010). All gone. Now have.. Vespa 125 Super '67.  KTM 690 (Oryx RS kit to come)

Offline SteveD

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 07:52:45 pm »
(all of this from Jenny via Advrider)
Team Torque Racing travelogue - Day -1 (Scrutineering)...

The Memo Tours transport assistance truck arrived early this morning - loaded with a couple of dozen rally bikes, together with a race car in the two-tier trailer!

With the Torque Race bikes unloaded, our riders joined the rest of the throng for the event admin and scrutineering checks, that with the high number of competitors is scheduled to take most of the day...

Early morning admin line comprehensively resisted moshing to German heavy-metal played continuously over the PA...

Offline SteveD

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 07:56:39 pm »
Walking around the paddock it was most enjoyable to see the different approaches and solutions to what are basically the same set of requirements - that is sufficient fuel capacity, navigation gear (roadbook holder, trip meter and a GPS as a minimum), emergency water, and somewhere to stash tools, essential spares and safety equipment - and despite the majority of the field being on what are essentially converted enduro bikes - no two machines were the same.

The majority of the field are [of course] on KTMs of one sort of another... plenty of EXCs with bigger tanks (including Ed Taylor's solitary 2-stroke - brave fellow!), together with a large number of 690 Enduros with all manner of tank and fairing combinations - typically from the Rally Raid catalogue, and not least a handful of 640 Adventures and ex factory 690RR and 660 Rallye bikes.

Husaburg have a particularly good showing this year, the FE 450 and 570 offering a very slim and [visually] lightweight alternative... and on a similar theme I counted a number of Husqvarna 449 and even a brace of G450X's in 'rally lite' configuration...

Over the past couple of days the organisation have delighted in telling everyone how soft the sand dunes are that surround Douz, and that it's going to be a tough rally right from the start... in fact they have described the first 7 kms of the first special as [potentially] 'hell' for riders who are inexperienced or at least not fully committed!

Coupled with the GP style mass-start, it could well be a baptism of fire for those new to the desert, especially on the bigger bikes!

Jx

Offline SteveD

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 07:59:11 pm »
Quite a clever way to carry the rear wheel spanner.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 04:46:29 am »
Day Zero Video, its quite cool those camera Angles:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2XisKJ8mETs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2XisKJ8mETs</a>

Commisserations Adriaan!  :'(  But Sertoes is coming soon...  :deal:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 06:13:55 am »
Holding thumbs Adriaan  :thumleft:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline SteveD

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 07:33:35 pm »
So there is a live tracking site   http://tracemyway.com/tuareg-rallye-2013/tracking/?lang=en_US# It looks like not all riders have live tracking enabled?

First stage is done and dusted.
I gather the roadbooks are printed to roll the "wrong" way. Must be a bit disconcerting.

Neduro: "Fun day, but definitely not easy! The dunes were quite soft and disorganized, easy to get stuck. Love the 505, it works really well when it comes to making power. About a hundred times today I thought I wished id had this power in Dakar!
Fun to have the whole team spending time together... Nice to share the experience with people who have some of the same reference points as me.
Awesome to have Jenny here, not only to take the burden of updates but for good company as well."

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 05:22:46 am »
How is this for fine sand, hey. It looks hard.....  >:D

Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 05:36:10 am »
Got to feel for the photographer in this one..... ;D

Looks like he was able to survive the onslaught though...

Love this, my all time fav rally car :thumleft:

Hot, bothered and sucking air big time...

Pics from http://rallymaniacs.nl/466-lastige-eerste-dag-in-tuareg-rally

Some really interesting looking rally light builds on the Tuareg - Lots of ideas for guys wanting to do the Amageza  :deal:  :deal:

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 05:38:17 am »
Soft desert sand looks like fun ...... NOT :o
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:38:56 am by White Rhino »
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 05:43:28 am »
sub
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 06:34:08 am »
Soft desert sand looks like fun ...... NOT :o

That sand is so soft and fine, amazing.

Trick is to hit it with pace, keep the pace up and keep your weight back. As soon as you slow down, then you sink in, increasing resistance and you end up fighting it - Exhausting. The problem is going fast is that one needs also need to be confident enough to jump those dunettes 6-12 feet high.  :ricky:

Here is the video from Day one, looks like a lot of people struggled.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tnDpwNu-YMQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tnDpwNu-YMQ</a>
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:34:35 am by BlueBull2007 »