Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tuareg Rally 2013  (Read 3408 times)

Offline SteveD

Re: Tuareg Rally 2013
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 09:43:26 am »
Cool update from Guillaume, via his FB:

EARLY
It's 4:35 and I can't sleep anymore. I went early to bed (about 22:30), so I had my few hours of sleep.

PAIN
At the moment I'm afraid that I can't drive on this morning. My right forearm is hurting a lot, not shure if it is from falling of the bike two days ago or because I was pushing it to hard yesterday in the dunes.

RANKING
For the moment I still don't know which place I made yesterday, I will have a look after writing this.

YESTERDAY'S STORY
---------------------------------

LE MANS START
I had a real good start, driving behind Oscar Polli, laying in third position. Marc Smith was leading. After a couple of minutes I could pas Oscar and we where swapping places a couple of times. At CP 2 and CP3 I was in 5 position, I was told by the timekeepers. At that time I was driving in a very controlled way, took no risk at all.

PHOTOGRAPHER
A kilometer or so after CP3 a photographer from the organisation took some pictures at a medium size water hole, so I drove through to get a nice picture.

WATERHOLE
About 500 meters further I saw a car crossing a big water hole (70-90 meters wide, 70-90 cm deep) and there the shit happened. I followed the car without thinking about the risk of going into the water hole. I was driving to fast, the water was spraying all over me, no problem, I liked that. After 30 meters my bike stopped running at one third of the waterhole. A second bike just behind me made the same mistake. His bike fell over, got down under water, but he could pick it up real quick, started it and could drive on. My bike did not start anymore, I tried for 5 minutes and called Rainer Authenrieth to send me his crew to get me out of this nasty situation. From that moment on there were no bikes or cars passing the water hole (of course). After 20 minutes (guess) a big truck came with 2 helpers and 3 minutes later the bike was safe. We tried to jump start, no result. I took of the saddle and both front tanks and took of the air filter: it was 100%WET. Shit... Then I saw water in the air filter box, even WORSE. Shit, shit... Try to start without air filter, no result. Demounted the spark plug, thanks god we have no electrical problem, the sparks where there. After mounting the spark plug, we tried again. I was almost giving up, but thanks to my 2 helpers I tried again... and yes, this time the engine was giving some positive sounds but still not running. So after trying again and again, another she was running. This whole procedure took us about 90 minutes (guess).

LESSON LEARNED
Don't drive into the water if it is not really necessary. In the desert, this should be possible .

RACING
After mounting the air filter, tanks and saddle I started to drive again. Now I was in the racing mood, overtaking a lot of bikes. Nice feeling, but because I was in racing mode, I used a lot more energy than when I drive economically in rally mode. In the end of the very hard stage, with many soft dunes, I ran out of energy so that the last couple of kilometers where even harder than all the almost 6000km of the Africa race. In this first stage I picked up the big heavy bike at least 20 times, probably even more then 30 times, I did not count. This could also be the reason for my insured right forearm. Like I wrote, it hurts a lot, I will start driving and hope the pain will be forgotten by the adrenaline production of my adrenaline driven body .

Offline SteveD

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 06:35:17 pm »
Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #75 Charlie Rauseo - Team RMS/IYSK Wines

In recent years Ex-Dakar rider Charlie Rauseo has primarily supported a number of US and North American riders with mechanical service assistance during the Dakar and other International rally events.
This year he decided to dust off his rally riding boots once again, together with one the USA’s perennial favorites - the mighty Honda XR650R - and entered the Tuareg Rally the old-school way - sleeping in a tent next to his bike and doing his own servicing for the duration, alongside the RMS supported IYSK Wine team riders.
Despite riding a big heavy kick-start only motorcycle, Charlie still had that ever-present smile on his face at the end of a long, hard day. “I probably got the most riding in of anyone who finished [in time] today” he grins - having made it to the final check with just five minutes to spare. “Of course I got it really stuck a couple of times” he continues “I mean really really stuck - it was so buried you couldn’t see the wheels!”
Certainly the heat of the day and the soft powder-like sand meant that when riders inevitably got stuck, recovery was particularly arduous for those on the bigger, heavier machines.
“I used up a lot of energy today” he admits “Basically I had to drag it out any way I could - even upside down, and then kick start it again - it really winded me. “The second time it happened was about half an hour before the cut-off, and I was six kilometers from the end of the stage. "I got the bike righted and pointing downhill, but then I just had to lie down on the sand... I really felt as if I was going to have a heart attack. "I had to yell at myself to get up and get going again in time to make the finish - it’s been a while since I’ve found myself in that position.”

Charlie Rauseo is part of the US rally team supported by Rally Management Services and If You See Kay Wines during the Tuareg Rally.

#75 Charlie Rauseo... digging those sandy socks!

Offline SteveD

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 06:37:34 pm »
Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #87 Tony Schattat

After a long day preparing his own bike and helping his Macad team-mates solve various mechanical and electric problems prior to scrutineering, Tony was looking forward to just getting out and riding a competitive stage.
Prior to this event, Tony had completely rebuilt his original Yamaha WR450F rally bike, and made a number of improvements to the [fuel] weight distribution, together with a completely new cockpit featuring his latest RNS navigation equipment.
“It was definitely a tough day today. The sand was incredibly soft at certain points - every time you get stuck, you have to throw it on it’s side and drag it out - I must have picked up the bike at least thirty times!”
“The bike worked very well, although about half way through it felt like I picked up a gearbox problem between 1st and 2nd gear - although that may just be the way I was shifting when in the dunes, as the water tank is very close to [the toe of] my boot.”
“Compared to racing in the sand in Abu Dhabi (in 2010), the dunes seem to be much softer here”
he continues - “I’m looking forward to tomorrow - we’ll be heading north away from these dunes and following more pistes. I had no issues with navigating [via the gps] today, but there will be more detailed navigation tomorrow - so I will have to follow the roadbook more cautiously as the possibility of getting lost increases.”

#87 Tony Schattat - safely back in the bivouac after a tough first day in the dunes.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 06:43:18 pm »
Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #97 Ned Suesse - Team RMS/IYSK Wines

Baja 1000 racer and Dakar 2012 finisher Ned Suesse must be one of very few riders today who genuinely enjoyed the conditions of this soft and sandy special stage. “I didn’t think it was too bad - I’m not saying it wasn’t difficult, it was certainly hard and technical... but then I like hard and technical!” he laughs “So I’d agree it was tough - I just think some riders must have a different definition of what is ‘good’ and what’s ‘bad’...”
Certainly Ned’s choice of bike - a KTM 505 XC-F Enduro bike fitted with a lightweight ‘Rally Moto’ fairing assembly and oversized gas tank - meant it was far more nimble than many of the other [larger] machines who’s riders correspondingly struggled in the dunes.
“This bike is just so much fun” he says with a huge grin. “It has a lot more power than my [450cc] Dakar bike” he explains - “I’d come into something, and knew immediately that if I’d been on the 450 I’d be stuck here... but with the 505 you can just wind it on and it simply ploughs through.”
Having completed the course in a more than respectable time, Ned is confident that he was able to navigate to each waypoint and control, despite his concern about the accuracy of the paper roadbook. “The riding was fun, and the route was excellent - but I’m not sure you could have completed today’s stage without relying [heavily] on the GPS to direct you... whereas I’m more accustomed to using a GPS to simply confirm a decision [I've] made from the roadbook” he explains.

#97Ned Suesse - really enjoyed the 505 in the dunes

Offline SteveD

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 06:49:20 pm »
Tuareg Rally Day 1 (Saturday March 9th 2013) summary - #332 Ollie Lloyd - OWL Racing

The Rally organisation had warned the competitors to expect very soft sand dunes on this first day, and Ollie certainly found himself ‘in at the deep end’ - after getting trapped in a 6-foot deep sand bowl  :eek7: for an hour and a half!
“I started well, although there wasn’t really a lot of space with all the competitors starting at the same time. The first 7km [dune field] was fine, and I loved the open ground afterwards where I could make up some time. "But the second set of dunes were very soft - and they really caught me out... I ended up in a sand ‘bowl’ about six feet deep, and the bottom was the same width as the bike - there was no way out! "I dug for over an hour with my hands, and eventually used my rally jacket as a sand-ladder under the wheels... it is still out there somewhere, buried under about four feet of sand!  :sad:
Fortunately Ollie had the forethought to check the pockets before sacrificing his jacket and removed his [essential] time-card prior to disrobing. Once free of the sand trap, he was then able to navigate as far as check point 3 (of 5) on the stage.
“To be honest it had taken me so long and I was now exhausted. I considered that at least I had made it that far and not damaged myself or the bike, so I elected to take the assistance route back to the finish and accept a time penalty - particularly as I’d been advised that the softest dunes were still to come.”
“This is my first desert bike race and I’m here to gain experience and learn how a rally works. I’d got stuck a few more times after that sand bowl, and I learnt a lot about how to get the bike out of the sand more quickly, but all my energy had been used up by then.”

Ollie was certainly not the only rider to get bitten pretty hard by the soft Tunisian dunes - with many other riders suffering similar mishaps and exhaustion throughout the day. His forethought and focus on the whole event and not just a single stage result means he is able to recover and start the second day with renewed enthusiasm

Offline SteveD

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 09:45:08 pm »
Eish, not lekker. From Jenny via ADV:

Tuareg Rallye 2013 - Sunday 10th March - Fatality

I have spoken with the media representative of the organisation, and in an effort to alleviate any concerns that friends and family of competitors on the rally may have, they have asked my to make the following announcement ahead of their official briefing this evening:

It is with great sadness that I can confirm that rider #25 - Wesley Beane (GBR) suffered a fatal accident earlier today during a special stage.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 10:46:22 pm »
Beaney was a regular ADV inmate and a Tuareg veteran, its a terrible loss.  :'(
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline SteveD

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 10:04:20 am »
via Alessio Corradini's FB:
Today nothing race, yesterday died a British rider. Wesley Beane.
He wanted to win at all costs this year and took risks overtaking cars and motorbikes in the dust. The incident occurred at high speed and there was nothing to do. Those who lent aid reported that he died without regaining consciousness in ten minutes. Wesley in the last edition had distinct winning some stages.

So sad....

An idea of yesterday at the Boiler pass  :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 06:19:22 pm »
That looks pretty hectic for a rally. More for an hard enduro... :eek:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline SteveD

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 07:18:19 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RbK_8ducABY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RbK_8ducABY</a>

Offline SteveD

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »
Tuareg Rally Day 3 (Monday March 11th 2013) summary - #87 Tony Schattat

The second stage (Sunday 10th March) was a series of frustrations for Tony, with his bike refusing to start at the beginning of the special stage.

“At first we thought it was a fuel issue as I had changed a pipe that had been leaking in the middle of the night” he explains - “I eventually got it running again, but throughout the first part of the stage it kept cutting out, and was increasingly difficult to start - so that lead me to believe the valves may have gone out of adjustment. “Finally my battery died, and after trying to kick-start the bike, eventually a local guy in a pick-up truck gave me a tow-start. “It ran for maybe ten minutes more then cut-out again and would not start. “Ultimately after about two hours I had no choice but to contact the organisation and wait for the sweeper truck to collect me. "I broke down at around 11am and it was not until after 6pm that I finally arrived at the bivouac.”

Tony spent much of last evening inspecting and adjust the engine to the correct specification, only to find there was no compression. So he elected to also change the piston, finishing work at 5am this morning and getting just a couple of hours sleep.

Due to an incident on the rally yesterday, the timed section of the route today (Day 3) was suspended, and Tony [who is competing without an assistance team] again travelled in the sweeper truck to the next bivouac, where he can continue to repair his bike before the rally resumes tomorrow morning.

Photo: Tony worked into the evening adjusting the valves, only to have to continue all night with a piston change in an effort to resolve the lack of compression

Offline SteveD

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 07:26:33 pm »
From Hagenblad's FB:

Tuareg raceday 2 Douz - Gafsa

Woke up feeling a bit better and drove in sandstorm to the start as no 10 with no pennalties. Felt great and the first special went without any real problems. More gravelroads and then another special. This time high speed and easy navigation. At one time I followed the Belgians and thougt, this can’t be right, and turned around, found my track and wasted about 10 min. Morgan, Tony and Mattias was already there, and that means the Swedes are climbing, since the Belgians where ahead yesterday. A bit later there was a ravine where I got my max pulse so long I had to lay down and take a nap. Fever and max pulse are NOT recommended.

Got to the hotel feeling like shit and found our Brittish friends devastated. Wesley had broke his neck and died on a liason. I just talked to him this morning Lost the will to everything. Left the bike, and fell asleep. John, his best friend came over and gave me a hug, and are now leaving. Now I’m beat, sore, and feverish. Good night.
Wesley, I will miss you.
/Calle

Raceday 3 Gafsa - Nefis ta:

Because yesterday's death today is without time. Cruised through the two cities like a tourist, stopped for a coffee in a beatiful oasis even. Quick maintenance and fleed from the sun, which made me dizzy. Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow, but if not, the special is 3 laps, and I CAN just do one if im dying or something. But maybe not.
/Calle

Offline SteveD

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 07:29:29 pm »
Via a phone call to Brodovitch from Timi, a Greek lady who seems tough as nails:

- The roadbook directions are painfully small in size, plus the fact that it runs backwards, so most racers used to the normal size & way of doing things are still trying to get used to it.
- Lots of dust, at one point she was genuinely scared shitless after falling, wondering at which point a car was going to pop out of the dust and run her over...  :confused1:
- Her Touratech roadbook failed her yesterday (well it was to be expected, those and sand really don't mix), so she followed some Italians for the majority of the day. Changed to her spare (TT again) in the afternoon and is trying to find a solution to make them sand-proof with lots of duct tape.
- Yesterday had some really tough technical sections, there's a photo somewhere by Alessio Corradini that looks like it belongs in a hard enduro race and not a desert rally.

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 05:44:38 am »
Thanks for the update - Tragic about Wesley's death
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline SteveD

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 08:45:37 am »
Tuareg Rally Day 3 (Monday March 11th 2013) summary - #97 Ned Suesse - Team IYSK Wines

Ned Suesse has consolidated his successful first day result with a 3rd place stage finish in the Profi Moto group on the second day of competition, and was characteristically upbeat as usual:
“It’s a good event, and to be honest I was surprised that the riding today was much harder than I thought they would include... for example there was a short section about 800 meters long, that was more like Erzberg or King Of The Motos than a traditional rally... I mean it was really difficult - I had to wheelie-turn to place my [front] wheel over these huge rocks, just to get through it!”
“I loved it! I thought it was really fun - but it is certainly more technical than I though I would see...” he added. Ned then explained how he had witnessed a fellow competitor really struggling “He was on a Yamaha rally bike with a low slung exhaust and wide tanks, and he was just beating the crap out of it - it really wasn’t pretty, [and] he was really upset!”
“There was also a pass early on in the day that looked like it was an old road through the mountains from WWII or something, and it had been completely washed out - you had to be really careful with your line to avoid sliding down into a six or eight foot deep gully...”
“The whole day was really neat - the scenery was gorgeous, it reminded me a lot of Utah - and it definitely was the kind of riding that I would want to come back and do again...”

Photo: Ned about to start the third day after a night of rain

Offline SteveD

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 08:49:12 am »
A few Guillaume pics from his FB

the Boiler pass was not very kind to his 690RR  :sad11:

Offline SteveD

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 03:47:45 pm »
Some more fodies from Jenny.
Neduro is #97, he is apparently having a good day and looks like he may actually win the stage.

Offline SteveD

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 08:59:26 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zo6nHHSux64" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zo6nHHSux64</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SjeYJ4qaEmk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SjeYJ4qaEmk</a>

The helicam footage is awesome  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 09:02:36 pm by SteveD »

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 09:05:37 pm »
Nice work Steve - keep it coming!
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline SteveD

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 09:06:16 pm »
Hot dang diggity huge news just in from the bivouac hotel in Douz...

#1 I was surprised to see #22 Guillaume Martens arrive in the hotel lobby, sporting a braced and bandaged wrist... he explained he'd crashed just 5kms from the start in the camel grass trying to overtake a slower bike (Guillaume started toward the rear of the pack today because of a large time penalty for missing a check yesterday on stage 4) - his wrist is almost certainly broken and although he was able to ride one-handed to the checkpoint, he is now out of the race.