Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: WC Pigfest  (Read 6970 times)

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
Re: WC Pigfest
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 01:37:04 pm »
Wil net gou die 2 fotos opsit. Die eerste een is as jy van Krasgat oor die hoogte kom. Daar in die middel is 'n paar groen bome. Ek dink dit is waar Mof se opstal is.

Nr 2 is waarvoor ons motorfietse (en seker ook 4x4) het. Die ander sien dit net op fotos.
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8
2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE   2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE   TW200 Project Bike

As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Wanneer vat ons vog?
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 01:51:01 pm »
Wil net gou die 2 fotos opsit. Die eerste een is as jy van Krasgat oor die hoogte kom. Daar in die middel is 'n paar groen bome. Ek dink dit is waar Mof se opstal is.

Nr 2 is waarvoor ons motorfietse (en seker ook 4x4) het. Die ander sien dit net op fotos.

Eish.... verlang ek al klaar....  :(

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 01:55:38 pm »
Never thought I'd wish I had an XR  :peepwall:

I could then also eat spitbraai and mingle with Grrr...

Dit lyk baie, baie lekker.

One question:

Who is this ghost biker spoiling the timelapse video?  :patch:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:55:59 pm by Heimer »

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline DirtHound

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • If you don't know Jesus, don't die!
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 02:00:33 pm »
I've got plenty of pictures. Brace yourselves...

All packed and ready to go.

My route started with all good intentions of taking the dirt roads on the first half of (the many variations of) the alternative route to Malmesbusy, then through Riebeeck Kasteel, Gouda and Ceres to arrive at our morning meeting spot at Prince Alfred Hamlet. The rain made me think twice, and when my legs were shivering uncontrollably around my tank, I decided "stuff it, I'm not going to enjoy it like this", so I took the N1 to Klapmuts, then Wellington, Bainskloof, Ceres and arrived at Price Alfred Hamlet where a coffee was very welcome.

The usual introductions, and ogling over the farkles on other bikes followed. Kindof like when dogs meet on the beach, they sniff each other's butts. The bikes all looked fantastic, and there are some great ideas that I'm going to be implementing on my bike in the nearest possible future.

JC took it upon himself to attempt to make the two non-Honda bikes more reliable by dressing the sheep in pig's clothing. ;D

On the way to Tankwa Padstal

We arrived at the Tankwa Padstal where beers were ordered and bike stories were exchanged.

The combination of the rattling on the Tankwa roads, and his fearless (sometimes crazy) riding resulted in Tau loosing a bolt on his luggage rack. It was a very long one, and none of the spares that we had among us fitted, so a McGuyver plan was made, and were soon on our way again.

Hitting the road again, we did Gannaga pass to arrive in Middelpos. Fuel, beer and 'Dop kaas' was the order of the day. First time I tasted 'Dop kaas', but it was lekker! Just a hop and a skip and we landed at Mof's farm - Kransgat. The most beautiful Karoo farm that I've ever seen! You are a lucky man, Mof!

Beserker thought he'd take a short cut when he repaired a pucture the day before the trip (with a patch on a patch), which ended up costing him at least half an hour of kuier time while he re-repaired his first attempt properly.

We ate like kings, and talked nonsense around the fire like most guys do.

My spot for the night

The next morning

From Middelpos, we made our way to Stonehenge for a very welcome cold beer.

Mof arranged petrol for us at Elandsvlei which was our next stop.

From Elandsvlei, we followed the postal route to eventually end up in Wuppertal.

Group photo

Brede River in the distance

I think that hanging onto the handlebars of my naughty pig was the cause for some cramps in my hand. The cold water from a stream in Wuppertal sorted the cramp out in no time.

Forty-something degrees Celsius, a big heavy transalp, and the fatigue from just powering through the postal route and the 4x4 track to Wuppertal was too much for FuzzyMuzzy, and he dropped his bike in the thick sand between Wuppertal and Oasis. Other than a few scratches, no harm was done. He dusted himself off, and we aimed our bikes towards Cederberg Oasis.

Before we could get to Oasis, WatKykDjy met us coming in the other direction. He suggested a swim in the river. The cold water was refreshing, and a welcome cure for the Cederberg heat.

When we arrived at Oasis, there were some other Wilddogs also enjoying the great outdoors. Among others were Nismark and Dusty Rusty, representing the smaller cousins of the BRP's

Nismark & Dusty Rusty

An overloaded Beetle

As usual, we were treated to excellent food from Chantal.

The next morning, the group of Wilddogs split into subgroups as we headed for home. I joined Ant, Grondpaaie & FuzzyMuzzy who were going to Langebaan via Algeria and Clanwilliam.

Boys will be boys

Beautiful gravel road on the way to Algeria

We stopped for lunch on a road that Grondpaaie had found by accident one day while exploring the area. After lunch, we tried to get petrol at Redelinghuys, but were unsuccessful, so we pressend on until we reached Aurora. Liquid refreshments and great company went down very well for me.

After what seemed like days on the monotonous R27, I saw Table Mountain, and knew it was not long before I could pull into the driveway, and sink into the couch.

Thanks so much to everyone who made this trip undoubtedly the best group ride that I've ever been on!  :thumleft:

Previous bikes: '81 XR500;   CBR400 NC23;   '85 XR600;   '97 VTR1000;   '91 KDX200;   '85 XR600;   '97 XR600   :paw:
Current:  '01 XR650R; '06 CTX200
PE to Cape Town on the XR  |  XR Pigfest  |  Anniversary ride - Old Houw Hoek Pass

Offline DRAZIL

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Alpha et Omega
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 02:26:50 pm »
that camping spot by the spit is a piece of beauty.
Great ride you all had :thumleft:
ďYou know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.Ē
Charles Manson

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 02:53:11 pm »
Awesome guys...just awesome!!  :thumleft:
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 03:44:57 pm »
I am not going to buy a XR to join you next time, but I considdered it   ;)
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Scenic Ride

• ...for Mental Floss!
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 04:15:47 pm »
Ek kon lekker elke aand van die ride so ietsie beleef/geniet deur op jul "tracker site" te gaan kyk!

Lekke manne...

https://share.delorme.com/JacoSmith

Password:  "Pigfest"
Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose.

Offline Stoetbul

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I is Stoetie
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 04:40:46 pm »
The spirit of all the riders...and the one pic I'll never forget:

Now what we have here is what is commonly known as the "Karoo Brad Pitt" species. Thought to be extinct but they pop up from time to time.....................
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:20:23 pm by Stoetbul »

Offline weskus

• Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 04:54:33 pm »
Lekker een manne, Kransgat raak nou 'n gewilde kuierplek en ek was nog nooit daar nie, sal moet plan maak.. :thumleft:
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides, KTM 1290 Superduke teerpad en Buff toe & Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline Mof

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 05:04:21 pm »

Now what we have here is what is commonly know as the "Karoo Brad Pitt" species. Thought to be extinct but they pop up from time to time.....................

Die 'Karoo' deel beteken Angelina Jolie stel nie belang nie, maar ons maak darem vir atte Anna jollie.

Offline Stoetbul

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • I is Stoetie
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 05:21:16 pm »

Now what we have here is what is commonly know as the "Karoo Brad Pitt" species. Thought to be extinct but they pop up from time to time.....................

Die 'Karoo' deel beteken Angelina Jolie stel nie belang nie, maar ons maak darem vir atte Anna jollie.
:spitcoffee: :lol8:

Offline Fenderbender

• Robertson
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 05:22:11 pm »
Lekker om so klomp Zaars EN  goeie geselskap te sien .  Hel dit lyk lekker , bly julle het dit geniet . :thumleft:

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 06:18:26 pm »
What a ride, i must just say a massive thank you to everyone who went on this ride, it was amazing., just hit 1100km for the weekend.

If I knew the route before I left there is no ways I would have done it on a Transalp, she was too heavy for some of the sandy roads and the lack or ground clearance on some of those rocky roads was a bit hectic, but other than that it was a test of endurance and sheer determination to get a heavy bike through that route, respect to everyone and their riding, no serious falls and only one or 2 punctures  :thumleft:.. next time I am taking the XR for sure.

thanks to Mof and everyone who had a hand on sorting out fuel stops, food and the planning of the route.. thanks to the dogs for being such a lekker group to ride with, it was awesome to ride with some familiar faces and to meet and ride with some new ones.

A special thanks to everyone who offered me help on the Sat after I left my camelbak with 3l of rehydrate at Stonehenge, your kindness, sips of water and biltong / tuna and sweets kept me going during the day when I was suffering a bit from fatigue fighting that machine, thanks to beserker for offering to swap bikes  :laughing4:.. flip that droe wors was the best.

Also thanks to Dirthound for lending me R150 for fuel to get me back home.. appreciated mate  :thumleft:

I have about 270 photo's of the whole ride, I will upload and post a few, if anyone wants all the pics, I will burn it to disk and take some to the WD bash or just let me know.

Just an update and a special word of thanks, to the fantastic owners of Oasis a massive thank you for letting me drink and eat ( wow those ribs ) on a tab, kindly letting me do an EFT to pay for my bill when I got home, I got hold of Bernard at Stonehenge through Henks wife and they found my wallet and camelbak.. it is there waiting for me.. so guess where I am heading this weekend. What a lekker bunch of people !!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:14:51 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline BliknÍrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 06:37:27 pm »
Lekker ouens, die XR's is cool maar daai DR roer my hartsnare (SSS lid, ekke).

Offline Tweets

• Shop Mods
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Centurion
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 06:41:34 pm »
Thanks for this RR guys. Reminds me of the Takwa trip I did to the WC Bash at Stonehenge.  GREAT !
Borrow money from pessimists - they dont expect it back
Current bikes : 1200GS, 800GS, 400XT

Offline tgg

• Bike: Piaggio (all models)
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 07:55:15 pm »
A very nice trip, I noticed you were all rather tired. Is that long sand stretch where myself and the KLR had "tafel gebed " still there.

I notice that your route was in reverse to our,s  So I must get fit and try it up hill .

Best bunch of Wd,s I met was the Xr guys.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 08:38:21 pm »
I noticed there were a lot of Garmin 62s GPS's around

I have a question, I tracked the whole route as we were riding, at the end of a long stretch I would go to current track and save it, now I have the track saved in pieces. how do I import the tracks into mapsource? I went to 'import' but all I got was our last track on Sunday heading on all those dirt roads all the way to Langebaan, but I have Fri and Sat saved which I want to thread together into one track

Any ideas
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Beserker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 08:50:33 pm »
I noticed there were a lot of Garmin 62s GPS's around

I have a question, I tracked the whole route as we were riding, at the end of a long stretch I would go to current track and save it, now I have the track saved in pieces. how do I import the tracks into mapsource? I went to 'import' but all I got was our last track on Sunday heading on all those dirt roads all the way to Langebaan, but I have Fri and Sat saved which I want to thread together into one track

Any ideas

You have to import all the tracks to Mapsource, seperately, and then stitch them together.

If your question relates to importing more than one track...that should be automatic as you upload.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 09:38:14 pm »
Well, I am just going ' Transfer ' and then 'receive from device' it then tells me transfer is complete but it only transfers the current track, how do you transfer the archived tracks