Gauteng to Gamsberg in 12 days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaalseun

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
The idea of doing a solo trip to Namibia was conceived about two years ago, but had to be postponed a number of times due to critical projects at work. Eventually the planets lined up for me, the boss signed my leave form and it was all systems go.

My dear wife was very keen for me to go, although deep down I could detect that she loathed the idea of being alone for such a long time. For some weeks before I’ve been liberally using words such as burnout, stress and chronic fatigue. As a desperate measure, I even told her that I heard of a guy that collapsed during a meeting due to fatigue. The next day she said maybe I should go after all. Now, I’m not an un-intelligent person, and when my wife says I should go I don’t ask stupid questions such as “are you sure” or “will you be OK”. No, I give her a hug and a kiss and tell her she’s the best wife in the world (this bit is true).

Having been such a long time coming, the planning was done in tiny bits over many months. I know it’s fun to plan on the fly and take things as they come, but I was very enthusiastic and the detailed planning was somehow a way to “live the trip” in advance. Also, I would be on my own and I had to think of every little detail or eventuality that could potentially go wrong. Previous ride reports were an invaluable source of information, and I also relied heavily on Google Earth and Basecamp.

The basic plan was to slab it as far as possible on day one, a bit less the following two days and thereafter limit the daily distances to allow as much time as possible for relaxation, taking of photos and generally enjoying the fantastic scenery and country. I only had 12 days and therefore decided not to venture further north than Gamsberg (near Rehoboth). I know the north is equally beautiful, but I did not want to make the mistake of racing from one overnight spot to the next just for the sake of covering as large an area as possible.

Weather-wise I would have preferred to do it later in the year when the temperatures are more tolerable, but other commitments only allowed a short window of opportunity in March.

The route

The route would take me through the Green Kalahari and into Namibia at Rietfontein from where I would go north towards Rehoboth, then west through Gamsberg to the Kuiseb pass and then work my way south to the Orange river, Fish River Canyon and eventually out again at Velloorsdrif.

D-day minus 2
Driving to work I heard on the weather forecast that the south of Namibia is “bloedig warm”. I didn’t quite know how warm “bloedig warm” is, and I had visions of blood boiling out of my pores. In the office I immediately checked the weather website, and my fears were more or less confirmed.

From time to time my mind wanders while sitting behind my desk, and I’m having difficulty to concentrate on my work.

D-day minus 1
I’m finding it almost impossible to work, and it feels like the longest day in my life.

Packing completed, my socks and underpants laid out alongside the rest of my gear for quick “assembly” the next day, the donkey filled up and saddled, and that feeling of anticipation stars to kick in. Tomorrow will be an early start.