Two Okes Jolling Southern Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenbadger

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Howsit Dogs,

Finally, I get to share my own ride report after reading all of your wonderful reports!

Im doing this as I go, so at the moment I am sitting clapping a breakie in OR Tambo after a crack-o-dawn flight out of Cape Town, flight to Mombassa via Addis Ababa is only in 5 flippin hours - how many times can you have breakie?

A few weeks ago a mate (HTFU) decided he wants to sell his 950, but needs to do a trip before hand. I have been on so many verges of buying a bike over the last two years its crazy, so I schemed I'll look for a bike and join him (me thinking I had time to do this). This was on a Wednesday, that Friday HTFU called me and informed me that the bikes had to be at the shippers by Tuesday morning latest, I calmly reminded him I didnt have a bike!

Saturday - bike buying day, Weapon of choice: F800GS, 2012 9900km - done.

Sunday - recover from a hangover celebrating my purchase.

Monday - Now, if anybody has donte this, they will know that they need a Carnet before the bike gets on the ship. For a Carnet you need the bike to be in your name, for the bike to be in your name it has to be roadwarthied, and so on and so forth. By a shear miracle, I had a Carnet by tuesday afternoon and a serviced, cleaned new tyred F800gs in my possession. If it wasnt real, it certainly hit home then!

So a week after I decided to go, I had a bike on its way to Mombassa.

A few weeks of trying to learn how to change a tyre (with out success) later, I find myself clapping breakie in OR Tambo with one of the biggest adventures of my life about to unfold in front of me, and I am going to share it with you dogs every step of the way.

The route is Kenya - Uganda - Rwanda - Burundi - Zambia - Malawi - Mozambique - Zambia - Caprivi - Botswana - Namibia.

Or, check it on Google Earth: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212591021496103869249.0004d72a08df0bf1e39ce&msa=0

GO TIME!!