Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Couple on bike hit Kudu  (Read 2909 times)

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Couple on bike hit Kudu
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2013, 07:38:22 pm »
Thankfully I've never had a close encounter with a large animal, but from reports that I've heard it happens so suddenly with Kudu and other buck that it makes virtually no difference day or night.
Time was that something like 90% of my riding was at night because in the UK winter you went to work in the dark and came home in the dark, and the only time for leisure riding was at night. Maybe that's why I have absolutely no problem with riding at night, but of course everyone must go according to the way they feel.
Best wishes to the unfortunate couple in this case.

Jaybiker, cows dont jump very high like a Kudu and UK "game" is usually smaller :biggrin:, I almost hit a pair of adult porcupines one night ..... they are vark all like hedgehogs and I could easily have rolled the car 8) We do major projects in bush areas, on main roads not gravel, we seriously try to discourage our guys from driving in and out between dusk and dawn, AND WE ARE TALKING CARS BACKIES 4x4 etc not bikes. I personaly missed a Kudu with entire family in the car by inches some years ago, it isnt worth it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:42:26 pm by Welsh »
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Mev Vis Arend

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 08:07:13 pm »
Sterkte aan die paartjie. 
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 12:24:38 am »
Thankfully I've never had a close encounter with a large animal, but from reports that I've heard it happens so suddenly with Kudu and other buck that it makes virtually no difference day or night.
Time was that something like 90% of my riding was at night because in the UK winter you went to work in the dark and came home in the dark, and the only time for leisure riding was at night. Maybe that's why I have absolutely no problem with riding at night, but of course everyone must go according to the way they feel.
Best wishes to the unfortunate couple in this case.

Jaybiker, cows dont jump very high like a Kudu and UK "game" is usually smaller :biggrin:, I almost hit a pair of adult porcupines one night ..... they are vark all like hedgehogs and I could easily have rolled the car 8) We do major projects in bush areas, on main roads not gravel, we seriously try to discourage our guys from driving in and out between dusk and dawn, AND WE ARE TALKING CARS BACKIES 4x4 etc not bikes. I personaly missed a Kudu with entire family in the car by inches some years ago, it isnt worth it.

I will add that they are grey so you aren't likely to see them in the spot beams anyway. Like donkeys on the road as well.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 05:01:05 am »
Yessiree they are quick .... They dart / jump right right across you, day or night.

I've heard of a whistle that you can get that you mount on the bike that lets out a high frequency sound that is supposed to scare off buck ... Anyone heard of such a device? Looks like a small funnel about 3cm by 1.5cm?

Here's wishing the injured couple a speedy recovery.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 05:06:15 am »
Yessiree they are quick .... They dart / jump right right across you, day or night.

I've heard of a whistle that you can get that you mount on the bike that lets out a high frequency sound that is supposed to scare off buck ... Anyone heard of such a device? Looks like a small funnel about 3cm by 1.5cm?

My brother in law have got two on his bakkie in Nam....they swear by hit.....and he hasn't connected one yet....and there plenty of them on those roads.
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 05:12:27 am »

My brother in law have got two on his bakkie in Nam....they swear by hit.....and he hasn't connected one yet....and there plenty of them on those roads.
Nice to know, where does one find these ?
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Offline Kerritz

• KTSSSSK!
  • Grey hound
  • What a SUPER-loss....DAMMIT man!
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 05:15:35 am »
I sent him the link!  :thumleft:
Vorige skoeters: XT660E, TL1000R, 2006 R1200GSA, 2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Anniversary, CRF450R, CRF450X, DRZ400SM, 950 Adventure, 990 SuperDuke (ISM) 2012 R1200GS Triple Black, F800GS, Wolskoeter!

Kaapse Jelly Tot!

Offline keithk

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 06:39:32 am »
This is so unfortunate , I was in a similar situation riding through the Tankwa with an Alpha male Baboon a troop suddenly started to cross the track in front of me they all cleared the road and I thought I was fine so did not scrub off any speed and then this "huge" male clears the fence and lands right(2-3m) in front of my front wheel  :o took one look at me flashed his rather large canines at me spun around and with one leap jumped back over the fence phew !! and this was in full daylight. May they both recover soon.
ROUTE DIFFICULTY:1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillion friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillion friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding
5 = expert only (we are not worthy, still to meet one)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 06:51:36 am »
Get well soon people!

To add to the debate - Kudu wander around day & night. Last November YoungGSer and I were in Northern Namibia travelling south towards Outjo on a tar road, well within the speed limit, we were doing about 90kmh, mid afternoon, 5m wide grass verge on both sides and a female kudu was startled by the bikes and ran at the road - YGS saw her coming and opened up and swerved right and realised he wasn't going to make it. I was about 60m behind him and at the very last second the kudu jumped - straight over the top of the bike & rider....... We both had to stop to calm down after that - it was so close I can still feel it.....

I am sure it is easier to hit a kudu at night, but they are around all the time...
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Sharingroads

• Race Dog
  • Bike: DKW (all models)
    • Sharing Roads
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 06:52:20 am »

Nice to know, where does one find these ?

I saw some about 2 months ago at Midas in Jakaranda centre. If memory serves me right it was R40 for 2 or something. I need to get service kit this week for SWAMBOs car, will advice.

Offline SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • 100 048 km.
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 07:59:25 am »

I have a pair of them on my gs after my collision with a buck. It happened at 10am in bright sunshine. As to how effective they are, I cant say as I have ridden past animals on the side of the road and the don't even lift their heads as I pass...
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
R1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.

Offline GEE-SH

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 08:14:28 am »

I have a pair of them on my gs after my collision with a buck. It happened at 10am in bright sunshine. As to how effective they are, I cant say as I have ridden past animals on the side of the road and the don't even lift their heads as I pass...

As far as I know these have never been proven to be effective. Kudus that are kept on farms adjacent to roads are used to all sorts of vehicle noises, I doubt if a wistle will make any difference.  Some will say - ''From the day I've fixed a wistle to my car, I never had another close encounter with a kudu''.  In the same line of logic, If you are a male and always wears a red t-shirt the chances of again cutting your toes off with the lawnmower will be significanty less'' pffftt!  ::)
BMW R9T, BMW R100RS, BMW R80, Triumph Bonneville T100, Norton Commando, KTM 300XC-W, Peugeot 50cc Help My Trap, 2003 BMW R1200C

Offline Bom-Bastic

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Daar's n moerse verskil tussen opgee & gatvol wees
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 08:39:04 am »
I sent him the link!  :thumleft:

Hi guys. Like Carrots said, I've got 2 of those whistles on my bakkie. It works like a charm. You mount the whistle on your bakkie/bike and leave the rest to nature.

The moment you start driving/riding the wind passes through the wider part of the whistle (front) and exits at the smaller part (rear)............sounds familiar. Anyway, at the bottom of the whistle is a small hole - the combination of all this engineering is a very high pitched sound that we as humans cant hear, but big animals (Kudu, Oryx, Eland) they react on it.

The thing to remember is that it doesn't chase the animals away, but it makes them react and run 100's of meters before you get to them. Usually when you drive and hit a animal, it not because he was aiming for you, but because you scared the living daylights out him - the animal's only reaction is to run, and because we've got 1 million watts of light on our vehicles, he's blinded and you connect.

These whistles are life savers, they are small and easy to fit and they only retail for around R 20.00 a pair.

I will post a photo later today
Yamaha RZ50 (piskriek), Honda XL125, Honda XR500R, Suzuki Katana 750 (achilles heel), Yamaha V-Max 1200, BMW GS1150, KTM 950S,..........'77 Wolscooter de Lux..

Offline GEE-SH

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2013, 09:13:17 am »
Mmmm I'm still not convinced that these wistles work.  Guess the only way would be to sit in a hide on a nice gamefarm, wait for the Kudus to come in and then see the effect of the fluitjie - ek dink die verkopers vang meer bang mense met die fluitjie as wat die fluitjie Kudus wegjaag hahaha

http://askville.amazon.com/deer-alert-whistles-attach-front-car-work/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=4983991

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-life/do-deer-whistles-work-to-prevent-collisions-with-wildlife/article4104175/

Rob Found, a PhD candidate and wildlife researcher associated with the University of Alberta, agrees that whistles are marketed on flawed evidence. “The bottom line is they don’t work.

“They’ve done a number of tests on these whistles, and a lot of them are actually outside the range of the hearing of deer or other ungulates that would be on the roads. Another problem is they tend to be a low frequency, and the volume really blends into the noise of the vehicles and the highway noise in general, so they really don’t jump out as an alarm.”

BMW R9T, BMW R100RS, BMW R80, Triumph Bonneville T100, Norton Commando, KTM 300XC-W, Peugeot 50cc Help My Trap, 2003 BMW R1200C

Offline Bom-Bastic

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Daar's n moerse verskil tussen opgee & gatvol wees
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:33 am »
Point taken. Fact is - I would rather put them on for 20 bucks then to take the chance of what is working and what not..
Yamaha RZ50 (piskriek), Honda XL125, Honda XR500R, Suzuki Katana 750 (achilles heel), Yamaha V-Max 1200, BMW GS1150, KTM 950S,..........'77 Wolscooter de Lux..

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2013, 02:41:08 pm »
Does anyone know who the couple is and how they are doing?

I actually grew up in the area and would like to know. (will ask around in the meantime)
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 04:58:52 pm »
Family of my daughters' in laws. Apparently it happened during daylight and they wernt found for 24 hours???? Anybody know more?
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline White Rhino

• Race Dog
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 07:14:33 am »
Some updated news on the couple would be good ETS.

I met a "professional long distance traveller" some time ago who had one of these whistles on and he swore by it - maybe it's like a rabbit paw :ricky:

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2013, 08:15:10 am »

I actually grew up in the area and would like to know. (will ask around in the meantime)
Found out this morning that it is a member of our Off Road Club, Richard (Skin) Moolman and his wife. Sounds like he was pretty beat up but is out of danger, will need a few months to heal though. Expert biker and triathlon athlete as well, I think that counted in his favor.

Offline Mev Vis Arend

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2013, 10:49:00 am »

Found out this morning that it is a member of our Off Road Club, Richard (Skin) Moolman and his wife. Sounds like he was pretty beat up but is out of danger, will need a few months to heal though. Expert biker and triathlon athlete as well, I think that counted in his favor.

Dankie tog!  Hulle is in ons gebede. 
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L