Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Pooratech Thread  (Read 381579 times)

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • View Profile
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: The Pooratech Thread
« Reply #2800 on: May 17, 2017, 08:56:01 am »
nice tip, Amsterdam  :thumleft:
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline Namakwalander

• Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: May 17, 2017, 09:59:51 am »
Hi guys

I have seen many different types of spot mounts on this thread, but thought I would add my own version.

Made from a u-bolt and purlin clamp and mounted on the handlebars (only available space I had). I also added some split open tube and a piece of rubber to protect the handle bars.

I plan to replace the purlin clamp with a piece of square tubing to hopefully make it look neater.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: May 17, 2017, 01:11:53 pm »
"A simple alternative to the more fancy spring compression tools.  I change springs so seldom that it is not worth it buying a press."

Thanks for sharing. This is one I shall remember.
eberhard
Aggostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: May 19, 2017, 10:57:12 am »
Hi guys

I have seen many different types of spot mounts on this thread, but thought I would add my own version.

Made from a u-bolt and purlin clamp and mounted on the handlebars (only available space I had). I also added some split open tube and a piece of rubber to protect the handle bars.

I plan to replace the purlin clamp with a piece of square tubing to hopefully make it look neater.

A few years back - I created a post on mounting a ZUMO 660's RAM mount to the handlebars.......... I did not want to use the U-bolt as it damaged the handlebar - so found a Brass clamp, which when cut in half provided the perfect solution - holes and diameter match perfectly............

check it out.....
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Namakwalander

• Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: May 19, 2017, 11:07:55 am »
Hi guys

A few years back - I created a post on mounting a ZUMO 660's RAM mount to the handlebars.......... I did not want to use the U-bolt as it damaged the handlebar - so found a Brass clamp, which when cut in half provided the perfect solution - holes and diameter match perfectly............

check it out.....

Hi Goose

I very much wanted to copy that idea of using the repair clamp, but I needed to extend the clamp somehow which is why I used the purlin clamp. I will try out that repair clamp mount for some other ideas I have for my Tornado sometime in the near future  :thumleft:

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: May 19, 2017, 11:51:14 am »
Hi guys

check it out.....

Hi Goose

I very much wanted to copy that idea of using the repair clamp, but I needed to extend the clamp somehow which is why I used the purlin clamp. I will try out that repair clamp mount for some other ideas I have for my Tornado sometime in the near future  :thumleft:

:thumleft: :thumleft:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Online EssBee

• View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: May 19, 2017, 02:09:05 pm »
That Goose patent clamp :biggrin: works like a bomb. Well.....mine did till my Zumo 660 became part of the Azanian wealth re-distribution programme. Now Big Dom's son will benefit from the Goose initiative!  :thumleft:

Offline katana

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: May 20, 2017, 02:17:35 pm »
I still have your other half of the clamp on my GS, Goose  :thumleft:
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline JohnB

Home made top box - Pooratech
« Reply #2808 on: June 08, 2017, 09:07:45 am »
Mods please move...I cant seem to find the official thread.

All in for roughly R260 :thumleft:

2 x ammo cases @ R100 each
Wood @ R5
Vinyl @ R40
Sponge - Mahala
Bolts and nuts @ R14

Removed the bottom from the one case.
Welded them together
Had it painted at work.

Overall dims 400L x 280W x 380H (Estimated)
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Online Franky3

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
    • View Profile
Re: Home made top box - Pooratech
« Reply #2809 on: June 08, 2017, 09:15:28 am »
How did you mount it on the bike. Oh and that looks very nice.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Online ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • View Profile
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2810 on: June 08, 2017, 09:19:42 am »
Nicely done - finish looks quite acceptable!

Here is my version of the same ammo cases in 1994.....
 :eek7:
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline JohnB

« Reply #2811 on: June 08, 2017, 09:35:26 am »
@ Franky - I will fit it tonight, onto an existing frame. But it bolts directly onto the frame if that answers your question.

@ ClimbingTurtle - I want to seal the vinyl in two places. I`m afraid there will be water ingress if I leave it as is. But I`m happy with the outcome considering the time and money spent.
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Offline jaybiker

« Reply #2812 on: June 08, 2017, 07:29:21 pm »
Well done!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: June 09, 2017, 07:12:28 am »
Isn't it a bit tall?  Might encourage  you to stash too much stuff in it and overtax the sub-frame.  Let's see the installed pics

Sent from my TECNO-N9 using Tapatalk

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline JohnB

« Reply #2814 on: June 09, 2017, 08:38:37 am »
Isn't it a bit tall?  Might encourage  you to stash too much stuff in it and overtax the sub-frame.  Let's see the installed pics

It is rather tall yes, I will test it this weekend and revert.  It might be more of a problem at speed, but as far as the weight is concerned I`m not too worried.

Offline steveindar

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Eish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: June 09, 2017, 08:52:59 am »
I just measured my Honda plastic topic,  and apart that it's  lower,  300mm,  it's bigger.  About 65lt where yours is about 42lt.  I think yours is more stashable because  of it being symmetrical.

#Nipplecaps must fall!!!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ???

Offline Jughead

• Non potest esse nisi unum!
  • Port Elizabeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: June 09, 2017, 10:02:39 am »

Not to put a dampener on your enthusiasm and project, but if you are going to ride any offroad or uneven, bumpy surface, that rear frame IS going to break!  The leverage that box has on the frame is just too great.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:03:26 am by Jughead »
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline JohnB

« Reply #2817 on: June 09, 2017, 11:40:16 am »

Not to put a dampener on your enthusiasm and project, but if you are going to ride any offroad or uneven, bumpy surface, that rear frame IS going to break!  The leverage that box has on the frame is just too great.

Agree. But the bike wont see any off-roading. Commute and the odd Lowveld trip or breakfast run  :thumleft:

Offline Buff

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: June 09, 2017, 11:54:18 am »
Nice job, it looks great  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #2819 on: June 09, 2017, 01:28:27 pm »
I like the idea.
I would mount it a bit closer to the back seat for strength. I do see why you mounted it there (For pillion) But i'd be worried that it comes off.

Btw...nice bike.  :thumleft:
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
The brand is not important, the fact that you ride is.
BMW 1200GS LC Trophy.
KTM 690 Enduro R.
Yamaha WR250F