Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: German Bikers need assistance.  (Read 4420 times)

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • www.adventureriderssa.co.za
German Bikers need assistance.
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:11:28 pm »
Today I met Marco Wahle from Germany, he and his girlfriend, Sylvia have been touring Southern Africa by bike, he on a KTM990 Adventure and she rides a BMW 650GS, their trip has been fantastic so far, they have toured Namibia and parts of SA down to Cape Town and back up to Limpopo.

Unfortunately a Sylvia was involved in a very big accident over the weekend on their way from Orpen Gate in the Kruger Park one of our infamous taxis did a u-turn somewhere near Bushbuckridge right in front of her, she t-boned the taxi full on and actually went through the side window, she was lucky to escape the accident with her life! Marco is a trained Ambulance Paramedic by profession and he stabilized her on the spot with his own medical kit, by the time the ambulance arrived she was already sedated and ready to be rushed to hospital. Apart from a broken wrist which was operated on and a few bruises she is fine and has been released from hospital. A miricle considering that she hit the Taxi at about 70km/h!
Sadly their trip has been spoilt and possibly cut short. The dilemma is that they have some serious medical bills to pay, they wanted to sell the wrecked bike to cover these funds, but it is not worth much and nobody wants to buy the wreck as it is registered in Germany so there would be duties involved etc.
The only way that we could possibly help these guys is to try and find some cheap way of getting the wrecked bike back to Walvisbay to where their crate is to ship the bike back to Germany where Marco reckons he could either repair it cheaply and sell it or sell it as spares. Is there anyone out their who can help with ideas or a way to get the bike from Nelspruit to Walvisbay in a way that would not break the bank? Any suggestions or assistance will be appreciated.

They have a Blog which you can checkout; www.marcoundsylvia.blogspot.de

I took these photos of the bike today.  :eek7:

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:13:47 pm by Just Blip It! »
Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline BrandsiekBrak

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Formerly known as Lycan
Re: German Bikers need assistance.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:30:19 pm »
Sorry to hear that their trip was cut short in such an unfortunate way

There are a multitude of bike transport companies available, but I have never dealt with them so I can't recommend any specific one.

Think I remember amounts ranging around R1500 to R2400 for long distances, from Nelspruit it is a little more expensive due to them having to come this way specially most of the time.

Maybe have a look and phone some of them, might be that one company has a vehicle in the area in the near future. Then it might be cheaper

Good luck to them
If you are packed for adventure, you can never be lost or late

Previously know as Lycan after getting bitten...
but then became infected

Offline King Louis

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 06:28:46 am »
I will make a plan, dont know yet what but will get in touch. Met both last Thursday on the way to Komatipoort. Was wondering why they did not come past on their planned route to Mozambique...

Offline EssBee

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 07:32:16 am »
Ah fck you know, this infuriates me!!! >:( >:( >:(

Oh well, I hope she mends well and that they come right in their dilema.

Offline Ratt

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 07:56:17 am »
Shit.. Wish I could help
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline GenXX

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 08:14:09 am »
Ja nee....I feel sorry for them.... aaai...us locals know to look out for these fuckwits on our roads, but put a unsuspecting tourist on a bike en jy soek vir kak.... call Manic or PaulB... they are both involved in the trane-sport business, maybe they can help...
Its not the big that eats the small. its the fast that eats the slow.....

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 08:21:55 am »
We need a trailer relay to get the bike to Walvis for them, surely there are WD's that can take the bike for short hops behind a cage?

Offline Swart Gevaar

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:22:53 am »
I know someone that has a courier service running between Kempton and Namibia. I'll try to find out if he is able to help.
You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi to the ramp.

Offline Swart Gevaar

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 08:40:53 am »
Ok, e-mail sent. I will wait for a reply and then revert back to this. If he can help, then we need to get the bike to Kempton Park. Will see what he comes back with.
You know you've landed with the wheels up when it takes full power to taxi to the ramp.

Offline King Louis

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 08:43:17 am »
ok, just spoke with Sylvia and Marco. She is mending well and they intend to continue their travel on Marco's bike! they intend to continue after the 10th of April, when Sylvia will have another x-ray to check, what it looks like. That's pretty good news. The financial side was sorted (for the hospital bill) via a friend in Germany who transferred funds. No pressure there!

The broken bike is in Nelspruit, I'll get it to Jo'burg in the mean time and put it into my warehouse. They can then take time to decide what to do next with it, as they are touring on a carnet, so there are financial consequences to  consider.

Offline Swart Gevaar

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:46:58 am »
Thanks KL, keep us posted if possible.  :thumleft:

Offline Sharingroads

• Bike: DKW (all models)
    • Sharing Roads
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 09:06:38 am »
We need a trailer relay to get the bike to Walvis for them, surely there are WD's that can take the bike for short hops behind a cage?

Not a bad idea. Depending on what route they choose I am willing to do 300 odd km in the general direction of namib in the direction of walvis.

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 09:11:01 am »
I'm interested in buying the crashed bike , need the motor.

Who do I speak to?

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 09:15:41 am »
ok, just spoke with Sylvia and Marco. She is mending well and they intend to continue their travel on Marco's bike! they intend to continue after the 10th of April, when Sylvia will have another x-ray to check, what it looks like. That's pretty good news. The financial side was sorted (for the hospital bill) via a friend in Germany who transferred funds. No pressure there!

The broken bike is in Nelspruit, I'll get it to Jo'burg in the mean time and put it into my warehouse. They can then take time to decide what to do next with it, as they are touring on a carnet, so there are financial consequences to  consider.

Thanks KL! Knew I could depend on the dogs to come up with a plan! Give me a shout if I can help.  :thumleft:
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 09:21:29 am »
I'm interested in buying the crashed bike , need the motor.

Who do I speak to?

Anything V, the plans have changed, they no longer want to sell the wreck, they need to get it back to Germany, as King Louis said they are touring in carnet so there would be more financial consequences to consider never mind the duties and other export issues on the bike.
However look at this thread, there is a motor for sale: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=121057.0
Bentbiker has a 650 Rotax motor for sale.
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 09:39:34 am »
Thank you for referring me.

Surely there has to be a procedure or provision for an accident when it no longer is economically viable to take the scrap out the country, to deal with the carnet?

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 09:48:49 am »
Thank you for referring me.

Surely there has to be a procedure or provision for an accident when it no longer is economically viable to take the scrap out the country, to deal with the carnet?

There is a procedure, a long and tedious one, Marco reckons that he can get used parts in Germany very cheaply, so the bike can be repaired and his losses would be a lot less than scraping the bike in SA.
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline Swart Gevaar

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 10:03:38 am »
Ok, the courier replied. He can help from JHB to Walvis Bay, but at a cost of R2500. Let us know if they do want to go ahead. Ok, just got a new e-mail. He'll do it for R1500.00
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:25:24 am by Swart Gevaar »

Offline Ratt

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 10:14:56 am »
I'm up for R200. Just gotta get to a pc.
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline Tiger8

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 12:39:21 pm »
I'm in with Ratt to help pay toward the courier, do you have an account no. ?
Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff & Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff!
Triumph Sprint 1050ST
Yamaha WR450F