Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Its gone crazy or is it just catching up on us?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Its gone crazy or is it just catching up on us?
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:54:49 am »
In the earlier days of the forum, I remember being surprised at how few serious accidents and the total lack of fatalities that the forum members were experiencing compared to other sites and forums.

It just seems that in recent months, all those good stats and "lucky" years have gone out the window!!!!! The deaths and serious accidents are just never ending!! 
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
Re: Its gone crazy or is it just catching up on us?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:09:56 am »
I guess it's a numbers thing Welsh.
But it is very sad and should be a reminder to us all to take it easy, be vigilant, wear ATGATT and be grateful every time we reach a destination unscathed.
Please be careful friends.

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Online Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Matchless (all models)
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:22:23 am »
Drove back to jo'burg from the farm on Monday evening, N4, never in my life have I seen such insanity on the roads...

2 lanes of traffic, moving slowly at about 60 Km's, with some serious skedonks mixed in to really mess with speeds.  So the Taxi's and others just created a 3rd lane into the oncoming traffic, with no regard at all, they just steamed ahead expecting the oncoming cars to move over to the "4th" lane....

Except that that lane was used by those idiots who really thought they do not need to beheld back, and they used that "lane", oncoming cars were pushed over to the other side of the yellow lane...

Madness, insanity... It all happened, even over blind rises and into blind corners, NO regard for others at all.

It was an eye-opening experience for me! We saw so many accidents, mostly someone driving up the butt of someone else, and then having a multitude of other cars smashing into the mix.

On a bike, you'd have no chance!

And the traffic guys, they just drove along doing pretty much nothing that I saw... Whenever the traffic got thick and slow, they u-turned!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:23:33 am by Malibu »
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline ajax

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 09:34:53 am »
Heeltemal reg Welsh.... Daar is heeltemal te veel Taxis en f$%#tup Datsun bakkies wat "for free" op ons paaie rondry!!!
Daai manne wat so agter die bosse wegkruip en ons bikers so lê moet hul werk doen en hul tjommies wat met die F#$%tup Datsuns so rondry van die pad af help.....Ek wed jou die datsun wat amper vir H2O raakgery het is ook nie padwaardig of gelisensieer nie
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:38:52 am by ajax »

Offline Scribble

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:40 am »
I guess it's a numbers thing Welsh.
But it is very sad and should be a reminder to us all to take it easy, be vigilant, wear ATGATT and be grateful every time we reach a destination unscathed.
Please be careful friends.

also think its a numbers thing also since DS riding is now a very popular lifestyle I think possibly the ratio of experienced riders vs inexperienced riders may also play a big part
That said I often wonder when going into Cape town if its my imagination or not that loads of people are driving worse.I'm not sure if I'm having more close calls than I used to have or if I'm now seeing more of them than I used to,ignorance is bliss?
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Woestynhond

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:44:30 am »
IMHO it has gone crazy! The law is fucked, corruption... traffic officers not issueing fines to their brothas etc...
and she said " What are you doin today ? ".
and I said " Nothing ".
and she said " But you did that yesterday ".
and I said "I haven`t finished yet ".

Offline bronzy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 09:46:31 am »
Much more guys on bikes these days

Offline Beebop

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 09:48:00 am »
Anarchy on the roads.
Check the number of fatalaties on tar compared to dirt..then you know where the problem lies.

Offline Shaun500

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 11:42:05 am »
IMO, it's just one reflection of the problems in our society today.  People do not care any more.  We are a very, very damaged nation.

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 11:59:43 am »
Het myself dieselfde afgevra. Ek kan nie besluit of die manne wat nog  commute, baie dapper,baie dom of net baie goed is nie.
Seker maar net n ouderdom ding en ek nou n banggat is maar ek sien nie eers kans om kafee toe te ry met my bike nie.
Stedelike paaie is "cowboy - land " vandag. Chaos. Ons bly nou al amper n jaar in Centurion en ek het nog nooit n traffic cop hier gesien nie. Nog nie een nie.
Nie net teer nie. Kyk hoe val die ouens hulself moertoe op gewone grondpaaie ???
Maak my skoon bygelowig :patch:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 12:10:06 pm »
Drove back to jo'burg from the farm on Monday evening, N4, never in my life have I seen such insanity on the roads...

2 lanes of traffic, moving slowly at about 60 Km's, with some serious skedonks mixed in to really mess with speeds.  So the Taxi's and others just created a 3rd lane into the oncoming traffic, with no regard at all, they just steamed ahead expecting the oncoming cars to move over to the "4th" lane....

Except that that lane was used by those idiots who really thought they do not need to beheld back, and they used that "lane", oncoming cars were pushed over to the other side of the yellow lane...

Madness, insanity... It all happened, even over blind rises and into blind corners, NO regard for others at all.

It was an eye-opening experience for me! We saw so many accidents, mostly someone driving up the butt of someone else, and then having a multitude of other cars smashing into the mix.

On a bike, you'd have no chance!

And the traffic guys, they just drove along doing pretty much nothing that I saw... Whenever the traffic got thick and slow, they u-turned!

Ja experienced this sort of thing myself recently on long trips at busy times - 4 cars all abreast (one in the emergency lane, one in the normal lane, one overtaking and one overtaking them all in the far emergency lane) all charging up a blind rise  :o

Its absolute insanity!

Cops don't seem to care about any sort of moving violation or reckless driving and just ignore it all.  Only thing they are worried about is easy revenue collection it seems.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 12:10:18 pm »
Have to admit - I think its getting worse too.  I'm bordering being paranoid on the bike while commuting lately.  I'm even slowing down much when approaching a green light because of the fear of a poephol jumping the red light.  I see it often happening - and yes, mostly taxis

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 12:14:58 pm »
Nog iets wat my laat wonder of die forum nie miskien bydrae in n mate om bikers te skep wat nie self vir hulle kan dink nie.
Lyk vir my soos n kultuur wat geskep raak met die grouprides. Goed vir newbies maar wanneer sny die ouens die bande en gaan "venture" uit en doen hulle eie ding(vryheid). Klein groepie ryers wat grouprides aanbied terwyl die res net agterna breindood ry. Iemand anders bepaal sy spoed,doen sy navigasie , let op na die gevare van die pad en werk sy petrol vir hom uit. Hoop julle verstaan wat ek bedoel. Dan praat ek nog nie eers van voorkomende onderhoud en tools om selfonderhoudend te wees nie.  :imaposer:

Dis hoekom ek n voorstander is van n "dash" tipe ry. Ons trek weg,elkeen ry soos hy wil op n gegewe roete binne sy perke en vermoens met so n bietjie vriendelike kompetisie tussen die wat wil en dan n lekker dop en tjop die aand. Independant en verantwoordelik vir jouself. Behoort beter ryers van ons almal te maak.

Offline ajax

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 12:23:36 pm »
Wyse woorde Subie.   Ek dink nou die dag ??? dis seker hoekom hul die KTM rally raid gestop het....en hoekom die GS echo ding nou nog so `n groot sukses is...... Dis `n ouderdom ding >:D

Online Bensien

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 12:36:06 pm »
What worries me is that most of the ones who have gone down were experienced, skilled riders. Do we perhaps get too complacent over time and that the new riders’ lack of confidence makes them safer riders?
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Race Dog
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 12:53:36 pm »
Dunno, but having spend many 1000's of km's driving trucks around Southern Africa and also doing rep work, driving all over Gauteng and KZN by car, I use to experience a "National Drive like a Hentie Day" once in a blue moon.

(Those days everyone seems to be crazy on the roads)

These days it seems we have that every other day ..............................
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline Mambat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 12:56:14 pm »
What worries me is that most of the ones who have gone down were experienced, skilled riders. Do we perhaps get too complacent over time and that the new riders’ lack of confidence makes them safer riders?

Maybe they are just less in the saddle so statistically less chance of coming off?

And I am speaking from experience here....... on the crashing front that is  ;D
KTM 990S R.I.P
Z750
YZ250
GS1150 (Sold)
Broken & Resting...................zzzzzzz

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 12:58:13 pm »

Ja dit ook. Die ouens wat geploeg het grondpad is meestal "experienced" ryers. :eek7:
As die newbie riders safer is oor lack of confidence dan is ons outoppies ook seker bietjie veiliger. Bang is goed  :imaposer:

Offline Mambat

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 12:59:49 pm »
Nog iets wat my laat wonder of die forum nie miskien bydrae in n mate om bikers te skep wat nie self vir hulle kan dink nie.
Lyk vir my soos n kultuur wat geskep raak met die grouprides. Goed vir newbies maar wanneer sny die ouens die bande en gaan "venture" uit en doen hulle eie ding(vryheid). Klein groepie ryers wat grouprides aanbied terwyl die res net agterna breindood ry. Iemand anders bepaal sy spoed,doen sy navigasie , let op na die gevare van die pad en werk sy petrol vir hom uit. Hoop julle verstaan wat ek bedoel. Dan praat ek nog nie eers van voorkomende onderhoud en tools om selfonderhoudend te wees nie.  :imaposer:

Dis hoekom ek n voorstander is van n "dash" tipe ry. Ons trek weg,elkeen ry soos hy wil op n gegewe roete binne sy perke en vermoens met so n bietjie vriendelike kompetisie tussen die wat wil en dan n lekker dop en tjop die aand. Independant en verantwoordelik vir jouself. Behoort beter ryers van ons almal te maak.

Crystal clear understanding and not even in my mother tongue!
I know a few of these, I ride with them often  >:D
KTM 990S R.I.P
Z750
YZ250
GS1150 (Sold)
Broken & Resting...................zzzzzzz

Offline BrandsiekBrak

• Race Dog
  • Formerly known as Lycan
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 01:48:44 pm »
Think this might be a numbers game, when it come to bikes, does anyone possibly have statistics about the member numbers over the past few years. Then we can compare them to the experience of more accident reports

When it comes to cars causing accidents, and their driving methods it becomes a different story. Have been seeing more and more motor vehicle accident victims at the hospital that I work at. Even though the roads around here are very bad and people also like to drink, it seems that most of the accidents are caused by a total disregard for other people's safety.

Examples: cars driving bumper to bumper, swerving into oncoming traffic instead of braking at the site of a pothole, driving fast on roads you do not know even when signs caution you not to, not pulling completely of the road (if you decide to do so) in bad fog or rain

Basically what I am seeing in the casualty department correlates to someone somewhere driving in a manner that doesn't take into consideration the conditions around them, or driving beyond their skill set. This all reflects my previous theory of a total disregard to and for people
If you are packed for adventure, you can never be lost or late

Previously know as Lycan after getting bitten...
but then became infected