Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Its gone crazy or is it just catching up on us?  (Read 1314 times)

Offline EssBee

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Its gone crazy or is it just catching up on us?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 01:53:49 pm »
Gradual slide into 3rd world standards. Depressing thought. Law and Order is slowly deteriorating. Look at the examples set by SA's...errr...."top management"....'nuff said.

Online subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 02:14:49 pm »
Die jong seun Robert Baxter word vandag begrawe . Ook vermoor deur n motoris wat "nie gesien " het nie.
So onnodige tragedie. My seun sal nooit commute skool toe en terug.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline T Rex

• Race Dog
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 02:22:33 pm »
Die padsterftes bekommer my ook. Daar is net n totale " disregard " vir padreels. Maar dit is n mindset wat ek nie weet hoe dit verander kan word nie.

Dit is n geval van geen respek vir die wette nie, geen respek vir my lewe nie, geen respek vir n ander ou se reg om die pad te gebruik nie.

Offline Masai

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 03:25:28 pm »
Verstaan ook nie altyd. Daar is 'n gebrek aan galantheid op ons paaie.
Maar die ander kant het ook waarheid. Sien gister 'n biker op sy nuwerige 1200GS. Hy staan op sy fiets in besige 17h00 verkeer en vleg teen verbysterende spoed deur 'n besige kruising. Iewers gaan iemand hom nie raaksien en word hy ook een van die statistiek.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 04:40:53 pm »
Just got home in the cage. Not 10 minutes ago, I was approaching a robot in the queue, when the light changed. One guy went through on amber and two more followed on red. I was the mug who stopped, causing much anger and hooting from the taxi who I 'forced ' to stop centimetres from my rear. I anticipated the change to green and was ready to move off quite smartly, but not quickly enough for Julius Kwela who gave me another impatient blast. Crazy thing is that when he did get going he was so heavily laden that he pulled away as if he was hauling a 30 ton trailer. Wonder if I was on a bike whether he might have just moered me out of the way. It's a jungle out there.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • www.adventureriderssa.co.za
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 06:56:56 pm »
Just got home in the cage. Not 10 minutes ago, I was approaching a robot in the queue, when the light changed. One guy went through on amber and two more followed on red. I was the mug who stopped, causing much anger and hooting from the taxi who I 'forced ' to stop centimetres from my rear. I anticipated the change to green and was ready to move off quite smartly, but not quickly enough for Julius Kwela who gave me another impatient blast. Crazy thing is that when he did get going he was so heavily laden that he pulled away as if he was hauling a 30 ton trailer. Wonder if I was on a bike whether he might have just moered me out of the way. It's a jungle out there.

I was in Zim recently, the cops were fining people for going through amber lights! Thought it was a bit ridiculous and unfair, but maybe its a good thing actually! :-\
Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline EssBee

• Race Dog
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 08:26:17 pm »

'kin unbelievable.....they bring out the worst in you...can turn a normally rational person into a violent 'madman'...

Offline Just Blip It!

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • www.adventureriderssa.co.za
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 08:32:52 pm »
There are definitely more biker related accidents, but I think also that communication through the internet, forums, new channels, social media is also far more prevalent, so because of this news travels faster, further and wider than ever before, so we all know about it. In the past the news never really made it to everyone, so ignorance was bliss.............so to speak.
Riding Africa's lesser traveled tracks, discovering true adventure!
2007 KTM990 Adventure S
2012 KTM 990R Adventure.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 08:44:45 pm »
People are nuts, and it is getting worse. It is also not just the taxis but the average soccer mom is also driving like there is no tomorrow.

This morning I took my son for a haircut and on my way home decided to stop at Bayside Mall. I was nearing the main intersection turning right across into Bayside. As I got to the traffic light it turned and I stopped but the two cars in front of me both went over the red. I just shook my head....

Then came my turn, a right arrow indicating I can now go. Something caught my eye from the left and I braked just in time to avoid a taxi blasting through the red. Not amber, not green it was a solid red light and probably was for minutes already. He just decided @#$% it and went and did not even slack down. I see this DAILY!!!!!! And where are the so called traffic cops? Sitting behind a bush in some suburb catching the real criminals doing 70 in a 60 Zone.....

Offline KiLRoy

• Rossi se Biaggi...
  • Administrator
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • We need a strong man. Strong like Stalin
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 04:35:00 am »
Grrr, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  I'm paranoid of green lights nowadays.  I mean, traffic rules install some sense of trust, trust that if my light is green you will stop for your red light. Well that sense of trust is gone.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:44:44 am by KiLRoy »

Offline Chris_M

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 05:15:43 am »
Greer, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  I'm paranoid of green lights nowadays.  I mean, traffic rules install some sense of trust, trust that if my light is green you will stop for your red light. Well that sense of trust is gone.

The stats are there, skilled or not skilled if you ride a motorcycle you run the risk of getting taken out.
I think many of our fatalities have been prudent riders and are parents too which leads me to presume its seldom cowboy behavior on the bikers side.

Ride safe folks
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:23:31 am by Chris_M »

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 05:30:43 am »
I firmly believe that the largest part of the accidents are caused by people bribing cops and by cops being bribed by people.

Think about it, if people KNEW that they were going to get a big fine for traffic violations, they wouldn't commit them. But no, traffic cops can be bribed and the traffic cops are simply not enforcing the rules. So the roads are now a free - for - all, biggest cage wins, fastest car is the coollest

Want to find a way to stop the carnage on the road? Then find a way to stop the bribery.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 05:45:20 am »
+1
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline LoneRunner

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2013, 06:32:35 am »
Me thinks too many cages on the roads nowadays in and around the main centers of our country. I visit JHB only once in a blue moon an can really see how the traffic increase since every last visit.
The government will have to to something about a proper public transport service to get the numbers down...

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Race Dog
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2013, 07:17:51 am »
Or is it a case of when in Rome .............................

We have this little 3 way stop street on the main road into our suburb.

The road also leads to the tribal area, so kind of a thorough through to the highway.

Normally it was the taxi's and skedonks that just blasted through the Stop street without even slowing down, these days it is soccer moms, laaities, Mercs you name it.

After years of seeing everyone get away with it, seems now all seem to think fk it, I am doing the same.
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2013, 07:44:50 am »
Greer, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  I'm paranoid of green lights nowadays.  I mean, traffic rules install some sense of trust, trust that if my light is green you will stop for your red light. Well that sense of trust is gone.
Call me names and spiteful but this is one of the reasons why we moved to a one horse town with about 9 stop streets and not a single traffic light.
In fact 9kmís away from it and even when we go there, people actually stop at them.
I dealt with Jozi, CT and Pta commuting and this type of madness for long enough thank you very please.
Thankfully we survived it in one piece after countless near misses as described by many above that happened on a daily basis.
Sure thereís the issue of making a living, not enjoying certain luxuries and not being able to buy a new bike ever so often but Iím sooo happy, way more chilled, actually have some nails at the ends of my fingers and donít fly off the handle for the slightest reason no more.
De-urbanise people, get the &^$%#@! out of those big cities and come live the simple life in an environment where people do still actually care about their neighbours and you can live to tell the tale.

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline J-dog

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 07:52:10 am »
Gradual slide into 3rd world standards. Depressing thought. Law and Order is slowly deteriorating. Look at the examples set by SA's...errr...."top management"....'nuff said.

The real problem is 3rd world drivers and police, coupled with FAST CARS and FAST BIKES.

Most other third world countries have the same shitty drivers, police, etc, but their cars/skedonks/scooters don't go very fast.

There are plenty of minor accidents in those countries, generally nothing serious.

We have fast wheels and use them fast.

Ganjora

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2013, 08:08:09 am »
I'm paranoid of green lights nowadays.  

get with the program fat boy...

green means go;
orange means accelerate;
and red means go through at full speed - thus decreasing your time in the middle of the intersection...

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 08:08:27 am »
Or is it a case of when in Rome .............................

We have this little 3 way stop street on the main road into our suburb.

The road also leads to the tribal area, so kind of a thorough through to the highway.

Normally it was the taxi's and skedonks that just blasted through the Stop street without even slowing down, these days it is soccer moms, laaities, Mercs you name it.

After years of seeing everyone get away with it, seems now all seem to think fk it, I am doing the same.

+1
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.

Offline katana

• I may be cheap, but I am not a
  • Grey hound
  • Born again 1/7/2020
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2013, 08:09:13 am »
Call me names and spiteful but this is one of the reasons why we moved to a one horse town with about 9 stop streets and not a single traffic light.
In fact 9kmís away from it and even when we go there, people actually stop at them.
I dealt with Jozi, CT and Pta commuting and this type of madness for long enough thank you very please.
Thankfully we survived it in one piece after countless near misses as described by many above that happened on a daily basis.
Sure thereís the issue of making a living, not enjoying certain luxuries and not being able to buy a new bike ever so often but Iím sooo happy, way more chilled, actually have some nails at the ends of my fingers and donít fly off the handle for the slightest reason no more.
De-urbanise people, get the &^$%#@! out of those big cities and come live the simple life in an environment where people do still actually care about their neighbours and you can live to tell the tale.

My ambition and part of my 5 year plan, if I make it that long   ;D
If you want to haul ass, you gotta mix gas.