Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Its gone crazy or is it just catching up on us?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Pavlovski

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • www.jamiezone.co.za FOR ALL YOUR W‹RTH PRODUCTS
    • www.jamiezone.co.za
Re: Its gone crazy or is it just catching up on us?
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2013, 10:51:15 am »
Baie waar Welsh

Dink daars 2 belangrike aspekte wat daartoe bydrae; Daars baie meer bikers op die pad as bv 10jaar trug & tweedens dink ek daar's teveel cage drivers wat nie meer die basics van K53 toepas nie...eg. indicate & checking blindspot before changing lanes.

Anyways, seker mens kan diť lys baie lank maak. Ry versigtig ouens & dink maar vir die vaak-vis op die pad ook.
Currently owns: BMW R1200R & Honda CX500

Previously owned: BMW R1150GS, BMW G650GS, BMW R1150R, Suzuki SV1000, Suzuki DL650 V-strom, Hyosung GT250, BMW F800ST, BMW K1200S, Harley XL1200 Sportster Custom, SYM 125 Scooter, BMW G650 X-Country

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 11:27:18 am »
Time was that your ordinary cage driver couldn't give a biker much hassle, because the bike was quick while his cage was gutless. These days even the poor mans car has a lot more grunt, so the driver tends to be more aggressive, just because he can, and he's bigger, harder, and might is right.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 11:27:53 am »
check this relevant article on N24.... the guy spells it out nicely. i see it every day, and i commute only 10km to work and back....  :dousing:

"South Africa weighs in with an official 14 000 road deaths a year - some sources put the figure as high as 20 000 through inaccurate data recording."

http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/UGC/Road-slaughter-When-will-it-stop-20130403
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 11:28:38 am »
Eerie - I just saw the thread about How Wilddogs started and on the 1st two pages there's posts by Watty, Beemerman and Malgat - all not with us anymore.

I know they have all been taken by other (non biking) circumstances - but it kinda made me stop a bit and give a think to our own fleeting mortality (and fragility).

Back on topic W - it also seems to me like we are hearing more and more about these things the past couple of months.

:(

Every morning when I swing my leg over the seat I think to myself - today can be the day.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 11:29:05 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Online subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 12:16:53 pm »
Greer, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  I'm paranoid of green lights nowadays.  I mean, traffic rules install some sense of trust, trust that if my light is green you will stop for your red light. Well that sense of trust is gone.
Call me names and spiteful but this is one of the reasons why we moved to a one horse town with about 9 stop streets and not a single traffic light.
In fact 9kmís away from it and even when we go there, people actually stop at them.
I dealt with Jozi, CT and Pta commuting and this type of madness for long enough thank you very please.
Thankfully we survived it in one piece after countless near misses as described by many above that happened on a daily basis.
Sure thereís the issue of making a living, not enjoying certain luxuries and not being able to buy a new bike ever so often but Iím sooo happy, way more chilled, actually have some nails at the ends of my fingers and donít fly off the handle for the slightest reason no more.
De-urbanise people, get the &^$%#@! out of those big cities and come live the simple life in an environment where people do still actually care about their neighbours and you can live to tell the tale.

We have moved from a very small town (Velddrif) to Gauteng and we are definately moving out of here as soon as we can. The quality of life is worth every penny you earn less in a small town.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught