Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KZN- Karoo- Sandveld- Capetown- Garden Route -Transkei- Home. 3 Weeks.  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Alpine Al

• You dont stop playin 'cause you get old, you get old 'cause you stop playin.
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If life throws you lemons reach for the tequila!!
We are presently "grounded" in Langebaan after a rather eventfull few days into our trip. My trusty 2005 1200 GS will be ariving in Stellenbosch today for Donford Motorrad to diagnose the reason for breaking down 30 km before Williston in the "Great Karoo". After performing like a dream around Mozambique in January, doing the Sabie GS Challenge recently and a few shorter rides in between and showing 81000 km on the clock she showed smoke from oil dripping onto the exhaust from the of the driveshaft front boot area. I stopped, switched off, started after 10 minutes and, after listening to the motor sounding normal, decided to press on slowly for Williston. As I released the clutch the bike gave a little lurch, a "clank" sound, and stopped dead. I think I left the ignition on a little too long ( with spot lights on) so I'm hoping thats the reason she wouldnt start. Any advice would be welcome guys?!
Other than the mechanical failure, our trip so far has been awesome. We planned this trip in January, two bikes, two couples, My mate Anton (Gyro Ratfink, Wild Dog), his wife Gabby who graciously gave up her weekly manicures, pedicures, facials and hairdoos to come along, and,of course, my fearless Pinotage Pillion Angela. Our priority has been to spend good time as friends on and off the bike, enjoying the journey as much as the chosen destinations. Just for something to do we calculated distances ( just over 4000 km), fuel costs, accomodation ( we dont rough it with our" hand breaks"), food and, of course, liquid refreshments. My bike has a Captain Morgan Survival Bag permanently strapped to the crash bars as this is Gyro's and my choice of medicine to be taken after some beers to negate the effect of a headache the following morning. As "The Captain" is omnipresent and a permanent fixture the cost and consumption thereof is divided by the kilometers we do and included in the fuel budget. What has astounded us so far though is that we are under budget on something we didn't consider worth a thought, the P.R.W.C. ( pillion red wine consumption). I remember as a kid there was an advert on the radio that said "drink Canada Dry", any of you remember,it was a sort of lemonade? Anyway our pillions are trying to drink the Western Cape Dry!
Anton and Gabby left Kloof for my home at Blue Haze, Estcourt, at 8.00 am, 2nd April and we left for Clarens just after 10am. The weather was great and we were realy looking forward to the journey. We went up Olivier's Hoek pass, past Sterkfontein Dam and through Golden Gate with Anj doing some handycam and GoPro recording of the trip. We had yet to show Gabby how these things worked. If you've never done this route before you must put it on your "bucket list" it's truly spectacular. Unfortunately, with all the videoing we didnt get as many stills shots as we should have.
We arived in Clarens and went straight to the Clarens Brewery,  to have lunch of course. I introduced Anton to a few blondes and we entrenched ourselves for a couple of hours, the girls prefered  to start on the PRWC. We stayed the night at our friends Len and Pauline Bines who, again spoiled us with their warm hospitality, the first day had been great.
Second day,Clarens to Bloemfontein through Bethlehem where I did my basic training for that big happy organisation SADF AND SONS, I Shivered from the memories as we shot through. Lunch in Bloem then we took the more scenic route through Boshof to Kimbrley. We stayed at the "Hadeda" a self cater/ B&B which was more than adequate and well priced. We rode to  The Halfway House for supper and ended our second night on a good note.
Third day Kimberly to Carnarvon, long straight roads, not much traffic, one or two go and go's ( in a car they are stop and go's), now deep in the Great Karoo.
We stayed at the "Lord Carnarvon", a delightfull, beautifully apointed establishment full of tastefull antique furniture where you are personaly served by the owner, Pieter, and his Mom. Supper at the next door restaurant and drinks at the famous "blikkies bar" down the road. Unfortunately the town looks a like a place, like many others in S.A., that have had much pappier days. Poverty and alchoholism are rather evident and a bit of begging was endured, but the friendliness, respect and peacefull way of the Cape people was evident and a their faces lit up when we spoke to them. When served by them and when asking for directions they had the willingness to please that the people of KZN lack dreadfully. Pieter informed us that the town is looking forward to the enormous "Telescope" project which is about to be started nearby. We left Carnarvon hoping that this project would help the little town back to happy days.
Day four.Departure 9.00am and all was well. 10.00am and all was not well. My bike buggered, Anton and Gabby drinking beer and wine in Williston and Anj and I trying to work out from how far away we could hear the next car coming. No cellphone coms therefore we had to rely on Anton's organisational skills. One hour and five vehicles later we were playing" I spy" when "Oom Smitty" arived with a trailer to fetch us. I insisted he drop me and the bike at "Die Bandediens" where a farmer who had stopped for us earlier had told me to ask for Johan. Johan was a star, he made a few calls for me and, whilst he was on the phone I noticed a courier bakkie with a nearly empty "railing type" venter trailer behind it. I asked the driver where he was going, he said "kaap toe" and that was enough for me as I knew that the nearest Motorrad dealer is in Stellenbosch and Anton had established that they would charge R4500.00 to collect the bike. It wasnt long before Johan had negotiated a cost of R850.00 and the bike was op pad.
Now the next order of bussiness was to get our own butts to our next destination, an amazing place that few people know about, Donkie's Kraal, near Lambert's Bay and nearly 400 km away! Unbeknown to me Angela, who had jumped out of Smittys bakkie whilst it was stopping near the local restaurant/pub to join Gabby and Anton, had contacted Donkie's Kraal to cancel our 2 night stay. They were firmly entrenched in the restaurant, Anton was on his fourth beer and they were making accommodation arrangements in Williston whilst I was intent on getting to Donkies by asking people at the petrol station for a lift to the Cape, after all it was a Friday and still school hollidays. I watched my bike being towed away and called my cousin, Paul, from Langebaan to tell him about our predicament when my Irish luck came back to bless me. A tap on my shoulder, I looked around and there was an attractive lady, a Prado parked behind her, asking me if I wanted a lift to the Cape! She said she was on her way to Lambert's Bay for the weekend, saw my bike leaving on a trailer and me in my bike gear. Attractive and clever and going exactly where I was going! How could my luck get any better? My next thought was of Anj. How would she react when she heard that my bike was on its way  on a trailer and I had left for the Cape with another lady? I will leave you to work that one out while I transfer some pics to the thread and get some sleep after a weekend of partying. More a bit later...

Bike history : Honda 50cc, Yamaha 175 DT, Honda 200R, Honda XL 500, Yamaha YZ 465, Yamaha IT490 CURENT BIKES: Honda CRF 450R, GS 1200. PRESENT BIKES : KTM 525 Street legal,  and BMW GSA.

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window!!

Offline trevorwb

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Warning Labels are only recommendations
An interesting trip so far.Keep it coming Al.

Offline Dusty

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
....and then ?  :sip:
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Offline Alpine Al

Hout Bay Sat 13th
Bike history : Honda 50cc, Yamaha 175 DT, Honda 200R, Honda XL 500, Yamaha YZ 465, Yamaha IT490 CURENT BIKES: Honda CRF 450R, GS 1200. PRESENT BIKES : KTM 525 Street legal,  and BMW GSA.

Offline Alpine Al

Hout Bay. Dont build close to dunes!

Offline Alpine Al

Donkie's Kraal is an unforgetable place. It is located about 30 kilometers from Lambert's Bay, tucked against the west cliffs of a long, narrow mountain. The two Brothers,who own a big farming operation, have built a lodge and campsites in and around some amazing rock formations. We stayed in their two luxurious caves sporting spa baths, shower, flushing loo, fridge and most of what you would expect in a 3 star establishment. We had the place to ourselves on the first night but were warned that a group would be arriving the following day. We'd had a long day and only arived at Donkie's just before dark so we made a braai and went to bed early. The next day was chilled, we swam in their rock pool, walked to watch the resident nyala, kudu, duiker and eland from the hide in the rocks and filmed the first group of cars coming in with the new group.
Our new neighbours turned out to be a mixture of about 40 people, kids, dads and moms and a few extra dads. The moms arrived in modern SUV's whilst the guys pitched in vehicles mostly resurected from the scrap heap. There was an old Corola, a B1600 Mazda bakkie with 3 seriously large boere taking up nearly every square centimeter, a rather nice old Ford F250 and seven other "skorokoros". These guys had planned this adventure for years, they had to buy a vehicle and spend less than R10000.00 to get it roadworthy, they then raced from somewhere near Vredendal down to Donkies Kraal, only venturing onto tarred roads when absolutely necessary. Every few hours they would stop, their time was recorded and they would compete in another activity, I recall one was a darts competition and another was clay pidgeon shooting.
We found out that the owner of the F250 was Abrie, a big farmer, bussinessman and the chairman of the Namaqua Wine Co op. He had bought the old bakkie off a Dominie in a pub, deep in Namibia whilst the preacher was "tending to his flock". The three boere in the B1600 aparently couldnt fit in so they closed one door then got two other chaps to kick the other door closed.
Within no time my mate Anton had hooked up with another guy with the same surname  and "Atman" introduced us to Gerard and Jaques, the old Corolla team, who turned out to become our bestest friends for the evening, so much so that we polished off every bit of booze we could find, laughed until we were bent over double and had to deliver Anton to his "Wilma Flintstone" who was fast asleep in her cave. The sun was just about to come up, I opened the door and warned Gabby that her caveman had a few "oil leaks" on his legs and a bump on his head from accidents incurred whilst fetching more liquid refreshments. Needless to say, we awoke in high spirits, literaly! Anton and Gabby were to ride to Langebaan and My cousin from Langebaan was on his way to collect me.
We took the coastal road from Lambert's Bay, to Elands Baai, Velddrift, Port Owen, on to Paternoster where we had a superb lunch at a restaurant on the beach. Anton later admitted that he was nearly falling asleep on the way into Langebaan.
Langebaan is one of my favourite places. The people we've met there, the relaxed lifestyle, the low crime rate, the awesome scenery and the relatively warm lagoon water draws us back more often each year. I bought a property in the Paradise Beach development a while ago and plan to build a "retreat" there in the future. We had a fantastic time at Langebaan, crayfish braais, picking mussels off the rocks, spending time with local friends and enjoying just being at Paradise Beach and my cousin's beautiful self cater flat which he rents out.
On the monday my bike was delivered to Donford Motorrad, Stellenbosch and the workshop foreman, Chris, assured me he would get someone onto it immediately. By that evening we knew that I had somehow distructed an" indestructable gearbox". After many phone calls and emails I managed to buy a used box off a smashed bike from an auto salvage company in JHB for R6000.00. The bigger challenge was to get it couriered to the Cape in a day so as to allow enough time for the work to be complete when we got to our next B&B in Stellenbosch on Friday. I eventualy called Chris and asked him to do his best with the transport arangements. It is not often that one comes across service providers who not only do their best for you and deliver on time, but Donford Motorrad even surprised me with the very reasonable invoice! Well done Chris and thanks Donovan for offering me a bike  for a day if mine wasnt ready.
We spent yesterday afternoon, friday, checking out the local watering holes and envying the students studying here. Anj and I have often spoken of moving here for a year to study something, immagine the experience!
Today we rode from Stellenbosch to the V&A Waterfront,along the beaches past Seapoint, Clifton, Camps Bay, Lundudno? and on to Hout Bay, then the Chapman's Peak road past Noordhoek, over the hills to "Ou Kaapse Weg", Muizenberg and lunch at the "Brass Bell". We returned to Stellenbosch just in time to watch the Stormers vs Sharks game at the old Stellenbosch Hotel , a stones throw from our lodgings. Our boys just couldnt do anything right with the ball in hand and we were lucky not to have lost by a bigger margin. My travelling companions hit the sack early tonight so I've had some peace and quiet to bash out the report. Tomorrow we leave for George or Wilderness, taking the longer, more scenic route and route 62. Then it's on to St Francis Bay, Bathhurst, East London, Port St Johns and Durbs. The weather is not looking good for Friday so we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

I took pics of over the 500 kb limmit for the forum with my tablet and dont know how to downsize them. Yesterday I gave up trying to downsize so changed the camera setting instead, hence todays pics only. I may need to send the others to someone else who can download, resize and send them back. Any volunteers?

Offline Alpine Al

Go pro and video footage aplenty but here's one rare stills shot taken on our way to Wilderness today.

Offline Alpine Al

Stellenbosch to Wilderness was a fantastic ride. The weather started off cool and the day got progressively hotter as we neared George. I lost count with the number of passes and their names but I'll never forget riding them., My bike bottomed out so often that the   centre stand was eaten away and the bolt on the right hand side gave in. I only realised this when we got to East London the next day, I tried to put the bike up onto the stand and the right side colapsed. A bolt was found in no time but what a bugger it was getting the springs back in place. Our stay in Wilderness at "Shining Waters" was great  and the weather was good again on Monday as we left for East London. Another scenic ride with so many more bridges than the Western Cape. The green pastures and smell of dairies reminded me of home and that our trip was nearing its end, my next thought was that I could quite happily carry on going up to Mozam and further.

Offline Alpine Al

Van Stadens

Offline Alpine Al

Sunset river and canal cruise, St Francis Bay.

Offline Alpine Al

Re: KZN- Karoo- Sandveld- Capetown- Garden Route -Transkei- Home. 3 Weeks.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 06:59:25 pm »
Lunch at Guido's Port Alfred.

Offline Alpine Al

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:32 pm »
Another humdinger party. This one with Wharton and  Adrian who are East London based bikers.

Offline Alpine Al

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 06:30:38 pm »
We decided to cut our trip a day short and skip Bathurst as the cold front was catching up to us and we didn't relish the thought of riding through the Transkei in driving rain. So as much as we like the little town and it's people, we shot straight through to East London after a pizza at Guidos in Port Alfred. Our prepaid booking at the Rose and Pig would have to be forfeited if neccessary but I'm happy to pay that to get the 4 of us home safely. Good news Anj made a call , they  would refund us our money. Well done Rose and Pig!
Arived at Gonubie, E.L. at about 3pm and my bike nearly bliksemed over onto Anton's bike. A centre stand could no longer stand the punnishment of the corners we had taken on this trip. It's not so much the corner but those bloody little dips in some of them and it doesnt help if you love cornering!  That night we stayed with friends and Anton and Gabs stayed with their old friends. Well if anyone knows how to create laughter like we did without the help of a bottle or two I'd like to know how because it would be cheeper and, more importantly, lighter on the body the next day. It wasnt the beer or the Captain but wild dog  Gyro Ratfink's self destruct mechanism of drinking anything when the Captain is finnished. Problem is he's like Ahmed to suiside bomber, he takes others out with him!

Next day we saddle up after a good breakfast, thanks Jacks, and notice our pillions are very slow mounting the bike, we stood there wile they huffed and puffed and eventualy got leg over. Same thing was noticed when dismounting! What had changed?  When in doubt, ask. So we did and our pillions, being the honest and fun loving type admitted that the P.R.W.C. AND P.F.C. (Pillion food consumption being a new one), along with all the laughter, had caused them to be rather uncomfortable with their riding pants on! We then took silent notice of the way they walked, sort of a cross between the John Wayne walk and the birthday walk. (only ladys do this walk it's when theyr'e cutting the cake).
Now that I could work out why the cornering problem was getting progressively worse, my mind was more at ease as we rode to our next lodgings at The Jungle Monkey in Port Saint Johns. Its another of our selected spots as we prefer to stay at, or close to a place with food and a vibe. We enjoyed some local live muzos doing their thing and planned to leave at 7 the next morning as we had been caught up by the cold front during our supper and the rain came bucketting down. Now if ever you stay at  this place take my advice and dont stay in the main house where you share with all and sundry because we were awoken by people returning from their binge, slamming doors and then calling their friend "Raaalf", firstly outside the room then in the loo. When we awoke I noticed Raalf's friend was still leaning out of the wondow next door and still missing his friend. Serves you bloody right you young idiot, but dont worry you'll get better at pacing yourself and have a lot more fun. After all what's the good of having fun when you cant even remember it?!
We rode the 200 km to Port Edward today in light drizzle, dodging potholes, school kids, farm animals and something more stupid than all of those, taxi drivers.
Breafast at the restaurant on Port Edward Beach and we all said goodbye as Anton and Gabby would be heading home for Kloof an Anj and I would stay over in Amanzintoti for a couple of days before heading home to the Berg.

Offline Alpine Al

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 07:24:18 pm »
Thanks Trevor and Dusty for your comments / encouragement. Are you the only dogs who read these threads?

Offline Alpine Al

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 09:51:12 pm »
Nearly 3 weeks has just become a blur, one with many memories though. We are already thinking of planning our next trip and Iv'e been considering what I would do different and what I'd  keep the same: 
Firstly, we decided not to duplicate certain things. I took tyre related stuff and a mini compressor and  a basic medical kit, Anton brought the tools we may require. It just makes sense.
Our hard luggage panniers and top boxes work well for two up, predominantly tarr road riding. Traveling on my own on dirt roads I would use my soft luggage( in case I go down and end up with broken boxes, bent racks etc.)
Anj says she would definitely pack less toiletries and clothing, I would pack only one pair of jeans and an extra 2 t shirts more than I did this time. Scants are easy as you can just wash them in the evenings and they dont take long to dry. Oh and as you can see I dont have space for shaving kit when on a trip.
I would try to convince my travelling companions that a GPS is not for getting from one town on a tarr road to the next, road signs and common sense work well most of the time. On most of the rides I have been on lately, even during the GS Eco and Sabie GS Challenge, I saw guys leading a group because they had plotted the course on their  GPS. Everyone follows them blindly, often getting horribly lost but the GPS professor has a stiffy because he's the leader. Often these guys do it because otherwise they wouldnt be in the front, the others get impatient and overtake, some stay with the professor and then you end up with split groups. My Garmin Nuvi 500 stays on but I normaly use it as a last resort, after all it is called " adventure biking" and who cares if you get a little lost sometimes?
Another thing I got right was to have a 5 day stopover in the middle of the trip. In fact it was 9 days spent in 3 locations relatively close together. It worked out well for various reasons but the main one was that it allowed us not to alter our lodging plans at all when my gearbox packed up.
On this score I would also add that, if travelling with couples it may be a good idea to split up for two days or so every 2 weeks to give each other a bit of space. We all got on well on this trip but we do think it would be a good thing. My next trip I think will be with just guys, my soft luggage and more dirt roads and challenges.
Because we dont have time constraints I would also spend more time in each place, meeting people, learning the area and experiencing more interesting places like Donkies Kraal. We have prommised to return to Vredendal at the end of August when the flowers are out. Jaques, Gerhard, Atman, Abrie and the boys have promissed us a good time and convinced us there are interesting places nearby they will show us. We, in turn have invited them to Natal.
I wouldnt want to plan these trips in our Summer months unless I'm just taking it day by day as I'm not keen on riding for days in rain or in 40 degree + temperatures. My last trip to Mozambique in January almost cured me of that. For that kind of weather I'll do day or weekend trips, either on the KTM or the GS.
Tomorrow we watch my youngest son playing for Johnson Colledge Rovers of Durban who are nearly always the strongest Rugby club in S.A. We were mortified when they were recently beaten (after the hooter had gone) by Dispatch in the Cell C Community Cup final. Well done Cell C for giving  club rugby the platform it deserves.

Now to check out the weather report on www.yr.no  to see what time we should gap it for home. More pics to come, when I can down size them.

Offline Alpine Al

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 10:39:44 pm »
BIngo! Iv'e just figured out how to downsise pics on the Samsung tablet: tap menu then "more" then crop. Youcrop to required size, even full size, and hey presto, the file is smaller. Only problem it a bit too small!  bloody thing goes to under 100 kb, but probably good enough? Here goes:

Jungle Monkey, while its raining cats and dogs outside.

Port Alfred, before saying goodbye.

Offline trevorwb

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Warning Labels are only recommendations
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 10:43:44 pm »
Thanks for the ride report -looks like you had a good time.We must get together for another ride into darkest Africa........Now that it is cooler.Al have you still got a HP 2

Offline Alpine Al

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 11:05:21 pm »
Howzit Trevor
No Iv'e never had one. When I first went onto the forum I just said I had a GS 1200 and later noticed that "HP2" had apeared. Someone must think I need one, even before that hectic piece of hell hill at Zingela! Since then I got a leaner toy for playing in rocks, dongas and sand. Uses less sweat and the insurance company likes me again.
Give us a shout when your'e up again.

Offline Alpine Al

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:19 pm »
Checking out Anton's new GSA in the sand at Donkies Kraal.

Offline Sat Diver

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Semper en excreta!
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 12:34:13 am »
Awesome trip dude! Your notes will help in my planing of future trips
'13KTM 690R (Oryx)
'09KLX 450R