KLE Rally Raid modification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakar wanabe

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
Hi Guys,

I am busy planning to modify my KLE 500 to have a Rally Raid look, I was looking to repaint and do a bit of cosmetics repairs to my 19 year old steed. So the idea come up to redo te whole bike. I also looked into bying a new bike to replace my KLE, but I am no fan of singles, thank you!!!

So waht I am planning to do to the bike is the following:

Strip bike completly down and powdercoat all metal parts black
Repair cracks and scratches on fairings and paint it
Take wheels in to check for trueness and powedercoat rims (I have the black rims and it have a few scratches on and the paint is fading)
Redo all the wiring on the bike
Seat is still ok, from a 2005 donor bike
The above is all basic stuff, engine is still good and sound so no major work there, (would love to bore and tune it to perfection, but maybe another time)

So the real hard work would be the following:
I want to design a Rally Raid front end with the twin headlight above each other, below a bigger and top a small one (already have the lights), I thought of taking the standard headlight fairing and modify it to give me the look I am after. As we all know that the standard KLE's wind protection is crap, this design would take care of the wind problem.

I also want to install a new digital, speedo cluster, so the current housing and mounting must also be modified to fit the new speedo cluster which has a wireless speedo.

I am also looking into a dual exhaust system, this is one major flaw in the KLE's peformance department. The left side must be modified to take the hanger for the exhaust, but shoul not be that big deal.

Comments that are constructive would be welcomed.

I will try my best to keep a detailed record of the progress, although it might take a long time, as I use my bike to commute daily. If anyone have a donor frame or parts that I could use for the testing and design it would be great!

Hope I can get this right, would love to see the end result!!