Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What documentation to take with when traveling through Swaziland and Mozambiqe  (Read 933 times)

Offline Gwans

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Hi fellow dogs
Myself and two of my mates are planning a trip through Swaziland and Mozambiqe at the end of April. Can anyone give me some advice on what paperwork is needed to take along, for example third party..... etc.
Thank you
Be strong where you are weak, and weak where you are strong

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
You can get the third party at the Moz border, not sure what you need for Swaziland.

Take copies of bike Reg Cert, if its still financed you'll need a letter from the bank giving permission to take it out of SA. And then a letter from your insurance stating that they are aware that its out of the country is also usually a good idea.

Make laminated copies of your passport page, as well as of your drivers licence. NEVER give a cop in Moz your original, you WILL pay a LOT to get it back. I speak from personal experience.

Also stash your cash separate from your wallet, just keep a few $$ in your wallet.

Enjoy the R&R's on the beach  :drif:  :ricky:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Gwans

Thanks Mr Zog, great advice about not giving your passport to a cop. if you haven't given me this information i would have given mine. Do you maybe know if one wants to get 3d party in advance if it is possible for someone else to get for you, as i am not close to any AA agent/shop?

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
I think it is possible, but not certain. Easiest is just at the border, only takes a few mins if the border isn't too busy. And try your best to avoid Renamo Garcia border post...  :dousing:

Also never give your drivers licence to a copper in Moz...  :deal:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Cave Girl

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Swaziland once asked for bike papers so take them just in case. The people are friendly and we have never had issues with bribes etc actually got a fine for a broken side mirror - R30 and we got a written recieipt from an official book and an apology that they had to issue it. Border post should take you about 15min if they busy  :thumleft:
Even on days when you don't have the time or the energy, you are still the centre of your pet's world!
Avatar pic courtesy of Gerhard du Preez!!

Offline Gwans

Thanks for your input and advice Mr Zog and Cave girl. Last year we did Botswana, Zambia and Namibia. Zambia was a nightmare, (beautifull don't get me wrong) but a lot of corruption. I/we look forward to a more pleasant experience this time round. Thanks again.

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
We bought 3rd party at Outdoor Warehouse a few years ago - give them a call, they may well still do it. Otherwise the Swazi/Moz border posts are fast and quiet and easy.

Don't ever speed! They cops in Moz are ruthless about speeding. Don't ride at night - seriously, it's just plain dangerous!

I assume you are all on bikes? If not, make sure all car occupants are wearing seatbelts - including the back passengers. Cost us R500 for that. 2 x red triangles and a reflective jacket in your car.

I suspect you now need the yellow/blue triangle on any vehicle - not just towing vehicles - I stand to correction on this, but try and find out if you are taking a car!

And enjoy the R&R's as per Mr.Zog!!!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure - 2007 G650x - 1981 XT500 x2 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Droopy

We did a three countries (SA, Swaziland & Moz) in one day trip late 2012. Follow the advice as per Mr Zog and you should be fine. Swaziland border post and service is the best.

Offline Gwans

We will be all on bikes climbing Turtle, thanks anyway.

Offline babuja

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
NEVER give a cop in Moz your original, you WILL pay a LOT to get it back.

Thatīs not exclusive for MOZ, of course. Carry it but never give it. Much better to make 2 or 3 copies, certify them at embassy near you, and that's it.

Best way to travel is to get a police  declaration of stollen documents  :biggrin:...It's just a paper from police informing that all your docs were stolen. In Angolan it's valid for 15 day...and no police with bother you next time  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Biza

• BMW 1200 GS A LC
100% as per Mr Zog.......
We had a bad experience - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=107652.0
------UNASHAMEDLY  ETHICAL------

Offline Kenzogs

Gwans,

Driving licence - plus as advised CERTIFIED COPY for use if asked for licence
Bike registration papers - seldom asked for at Lebombo/Ressano Garcia, often asked for by Swaziland at Lomahasha/Namaacha, not so often at Mhlumeni. I have never used Jeppes Reef.
If bike is financed Border Letter from Bank
Tell your insurance company - best to get a letter or Out in Africa cover from Outsurance (if you are with them)
Buy R50 permit on entering Swaziland
Best to tick for multiple entry on Swaziland customs form
Mozambique 3rd party available at borders into Moz. R80 for a bike R150 for a car
Entry into Moz is limited to 30 days. They can occasionally be quite strict on this. 5000MZN fine if they do notice it
On entering Moz border:
-get the slip of paper with Reg # from guard at entry
-buy 3rd party
-if you have something to declare get that paperwork done
-get passport stamped
-go to vehicle desk and get import form
-fill in details (they now have English translation on the form)
-take it back to the desk with the entry paper and get them signed and stamped. Do not offer registration papers unless they ask for them.
-find a customs officer outside and ask him to check your bike
-he will sign your paper and as you ride out hand it to the guard at the exit
-stick to speed limit

Rule of road in Moz is "Anything Goes". A bit of exageration but expect the unexpected - specially at traffic lights
Moambe toll on En4 has just gone up to 135MZN. Maputo toll up to ??25?? - I have an eToll reader.

NEVER PAY AT THE BORDER OR LET YOUR PASSPORT OUT OF YOUR HANDS. 90% of "border agents" are genuine but I have heard about a couple whose agent had just disappeared with their passports and then they were "found" by someone else who wanted money for finding them.

Enjoy the ride. Some fantastic roads. If you get stuck in Moz give me a shout. +258843034961.
You can never get lost - you just reach a different destination.
Every road has to lead somewhere - even if it is a dead-end.