Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Essential mods and upgrades on the new KTM 690?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline DREWMARX

Re: Essential mods and upgrades on the new KTM 690?
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 12:29:33 pm »
Ja, dis lekker sakke, die nuwes is versterk ook, so hou goed, en in my opinie, baie beter as panier boxes, en hou jou fiets ligter, want jy hoef nie ekstra mounting brackets en en en op te sit nie. Die screen, Help absoluut niks nie, net as jy Bullet.
The Christini AWD Advantage!

Offline WP

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2013, 12:47:00 pm »
Bullet?

Is daar ander beter opsies wat screens aanbetref?

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 12:55:18 pm »
Bullet = plat le op jou fiets en jou kop onder die screen se hoogte hou, hahaha

Nie rerig nie, teensy jy die hele Rally conversion doen, maar dit gaan jou kos, so R30 000, maar sluit dan die ekstra tanks in.

Maar dis nie so erg sonder n' moerse screen nie, pla my nie.
The Christini AWD Advantage!

Offline WP

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 01:05:03 pm »
Sal dit seker maar net gewoond moet raak... Ek soek nie eintlik die hele rally conversion nie... Dit lyk vir my half aangeplak en ek dink dit verander die dynamics van die bike...

Offline Hooli

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • --My faith is in GOD--
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 01:23:51 pm »
Ek het in Oktober n' nuwe een gekoop en hom opgery Tanzania toe, extra tanks opgesit, dis so R10 000, Luggage rack opgesit so R2000 Flying Brick Luggage bags en ATG Duffel bag so R3 500, en n' Wings Exhaust so R5 000. Die wings is awesome, koop hom sommer van die begin af as jy jou bike bestel, as jou bike by die shop aankom, sal KTM die pyp vir jou opsit en die nuwe mapping doen. Kry vir jou n' washable airfilter ook, hang af of jy gaan trips doen of nie, daai papier filters stop nogal vinnig op.

Geniet dit!

Thanks!
Ek le nogal baie na die Stealth se rigting, omrede ek al ervaring met hulle het, en as hulle vir mens 'n full system bou, lyk dit bevange... Die standaard exhaust system lyk vir my maar baie bulky...

Ek wil juis met hom trips doen, hoe swaar was jou bagasie gewees? Ek het gehoor mens mag nie meer as 5kg oplaai nie?

Wat kos so 'n washable filter en watter een sal jy aanbeveel?

Washable filter is so R1000, sommer n' BMC, dis een van die nuwe fibre filter stories. 5kg is nonsense, netmy tools was meer as dit. My bike het great gehou, geen boutjies of goed gebreuk nie, het engie iets tussen 22kg en 26kg op gehad. Sal nou n' foto post.

Groete

Drew
Jy moet eindlik noem: Ek het NOG nie n probleem gehad met die subframe boude nie, glo my joune gaan net breek eendag, soos myne en dit wanneer jy dit lekker wou geniet het of gelaai is op n trip. Myne het gegaan op dag 1 van die 2012 Amageza en ek moes hom verder nurse vir dag 2 met net die regtekantse boud. My pelle het hulle s'n vervang en ek het ook maar uitgehou tot dit natuurlik toe gebeur het, so wees gewaarsku!!!!
Cheers.
You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.                          
Bikes: Yamaha TZR250 2S / Katana 750 / CBR600 / CR250 / KTM200EXC / YZ250F / YZ250F '07 / KTM950 SE / Kymco TB100 Mod Scooter / KTM 990 / KTM 200XCW / KTM690E / Husaberg TE300 / BMW HP2 / KTM690 R / Husky FE350, current- Husky FE250.

Offline DjfLoYd

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • Wannabe Dirt Ninja
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 10:01:23 am »
Hey WP

I've just bought a 690 from Ultimate P and I'm also going through the list of what to get. I think it was Dwerg that had the second best advise. Ride it for a while first. The bike will tell you what it wants or needs. It's very zen, I know. 

The best advise was from whomever said get an after market pipe. That standard pipe sounds horrible, but like really crap! I've
gone and ordered a Wings pipe from Warren at TornadoF5. Had a nice chat with him over the phone and he was very forthcoming with info.
I can't see myself paying R8K plus for an Akro (as much as I love those pipes) when I'm fairly sure I'll drop the bike one day and possibly damage it. The Wings pipe is just on R5K with shipping. That extra R3K will make for a nice Leatt brace or such like.

As for what has been done so far (with 100 kilo's on the clock)

- Headlight protector
- Zeta handle bar guards
- GPS RAM mount for Garmin Zumo 660 (so I can find all these places selling more KTM goodies!)

My wish list so far for the bike:

- long range tanks (undecided on which ones though - not sure I want the whole Rally Raid look or not).
- new metal bash plate
- small screen (this is more cosmetic than functional me thinks).
- rim tape (also cosmetic)
- luggage rack of some kind (still searching)

And the rest becomes obvious the more riding I do. IMHO don't fall into the trap of going ape with accessories. There are soooooo many
and besides spending a fortune - so much of them are truly not worth it.

Offline WP

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:39 am »
Hey WP

I've just bought a 690 from Ultimate P and I'm also going through the list of what to get. I think it was Dwerg that had the second best advise. Ride it for a while first. The bike will tell you what it wants or needs. It's very zen, I know. 

The best advise was from whomever said get an after market pipe. That standard pipe sounds horrible, but like really crap! I've
gone and ordered a Wings pipe from Warren at TornadoF5. Had a nice chat with him over the phone and he was very forthcoming with info.
I can't see myself paying R8K plus for an Akro (as much as I love those pipes) when I'm fairly sure I'll drop the bike one day and possibly damage it. The Wings pipe is just on R5K with shipping. That extra R3K will make for a nice Leatt brace or such like.

As for what has been done so far (with 100 kilo's on the clock)

- Headlight protector
- Zeta handle bar guards
- GPS RAM mount for Garmin Zumo 660 (so I can find all these places selling more KTM goodies!)

My wish list so far for the bike:

- long range tanks (undecided on which ones though - not sure I want the whole Rally Raid look or not).
- new metal bash plate
- small screen (this is more cosmetic than functional me thinks).
- rim tape (also cosmetic)
- luggage rack of some kind (still searching)

And the rest becomes obvious the more riding I do. IMHO don't fall into the trap of going ape with accessories. There are soooooo many
and besides spending a fortune - so much of them are truly not worth it.

Hi Loyd

Thanks for the input. If I may ask why the aftermarket handguards? The bike comes standard with handguards does it not? I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the Wings exhausts, but I really like the Stealth range of pipes and they are quite a bit more affordable than the other options, I have only had good experience with them on my previous bikes.

But for now I'm still waiting for my other bike to sell before I get my 690... And still need that test drive...

Offline DjfLoYd

• Wannabe Dirt Ninja
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 11:13:22 am »
The stock handguards are plastic with a plastic "frame" that apparently breaks too easily. The Zeta ones have a metal frame
and apparently saves the levers. That and I got them thrown into the deal when I bought the bike :D.

As for the pipes - by all means, I'm not knocking Stealth at all, I meant it to read as "just get a pipe, any pipe." That's
how bad the standard pipe sounds to me. What's a Stealth system going to cost, do you know?

Good luck flogging the other bike. Hope to see ya round on a 690 soon.

Offline WP

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 11:35:20 am »
I'm guessing in the Region of 4 to 5 grand for a full system...

Offline Jules

• Living with "LevenNinetyItis" and Loving it
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 01:44:16 pm »
The stock handguards are plastic with a plastic "frame" that apparently breaks too easily. The Zeta ones have a metal frame
and apparently saves the levers. That and I got them thrown into the deal when I bought the bike :D.

As for the pipes - by all means, I'm not knocking Stealth at all, I meant it to read as "just get a pipe, any pipe." That's
how bad the standard pipe sounds to me. What's a Stealth system going to cost, do you know?

Good luck flogging the other bike. Hope to see ya round on a 690 soon.

The Wings are  :drif:

Made to fit the style of the 690R!
Don't do the ECU Akro remap lots of folks have issues with them!

Runner has Unifilters for R600! Works well, the bike likes the extra AIR!

Also after fitting the pipe and filter start it and let it idle for 15mins with no throttle input at all, Lets the ECU adjust for the changes

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:46:47 pm by Jules »
690R Lost but not forgotten
1190R

Offline sigmund freud

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 07:21:05 pm »
So I am seriously considering buying a new KTM 690...

I would like to know which mods would be first to do?

I am definitely fitting a screen, but which one? And prices?
I am also definitely fitting a exhaust, but which one? I am seriously considering having a new full system made up at Stealth? What else and which prices?
Steering damper? Is it really a necessity? Didn't have one on my 990.
Extra fuel tanks?
Rear carrier rack? What is available?

Screen;http://178.63.234.68/shop/britannia-composites-ktm-690-lynx-fairing-cockpit-system-adventure-motorcycling-dual-sport-biker-rally/prod_299.html
Groet Hans

What else needs to be done?

I would appreciate all and any help in this regards, going for the test ride this weekend to determine if this will be the one... :ricky:

Offline WP

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2013, 07:50:18 am »
The screen looks quite good and the complete package looks well designed but I would prefer to keep the standard headlight...