Yamaha's - they build them tough

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buff

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
This is not a brag post (much  ;)) but I heard this story which I found quite interesting so I thought I'd share with you guys  :)

While chatting to one of the mechanic at Droomers Yamaha the other day I noticed a few PW80 standing around the workshop with their seats shortened and these huge metal boxes on the back of them, most of them looking very used, forlorn and dirty as hell. I obviously had to ask WTF they were used for?

Turns out that they're owned by SANRAIL (if that's what our rail service is now called) and these little bikes are used for railway line and cart inspections. They need to be stored in a very confined space on the train behind the motor so they actual drop the suspension slightly on them as well (leaving them with also no suspension because there's not much there to start with  :eek:).
The huge metal box is added for when they discover broken shackles/links on the train while in transit. The broken shackle gets removed and replaced and transported in the box along with the tools. The shackles alone can weigh up to 50kgs.

So for the duration of its life, this poor little bike is used by some bloke normally weighing over 100kg's, with a huge metal box and a shackle weighing around 55kgs and they mostly only ever come in for routine maintenance, with apparently very few failures at all.

Interesting hey, now I'm sorry I never took any pics  :-\