5 minutes - worth to die for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Louis

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
I THINK NOT.

Yesterday I passed the accident N1 between Rivonia and Malibongwe. A rider passed away in the concrete lane. RIP  :'(

I do the stretch between Beyers Naude and London Road twice every day. There are very few left who lane split. Most bikers use the concrete lane. So far from what I remember 4 have passed away after accidents in that lane, the actual figure may be higher.

I have taken the difference between lane splitting and using the concrete lane. On that stretch, it makes about 5 minutes diffence before the traffic eases up again - max.

There is no justification to use the concrete lane. It is certainly not safer, but really, how many more riders have to die before the others get the message?

I always try to stay calm and take care of my own safety and not getting upset when those riders go past at horrendous speeds as if they have to prove a point.

It still irritates me and it saddens me to have such a cruel reminder of what can go wrong.

Just my 2c on this subject.