Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Solo newby doing Botswana, Zambia,DRC,Malawi & Zim. Info needed  (Read 918 times)

Offline ZIMCO

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi guys, I am new on forum. I have some riding experience but nothing in Africa. I am a pastor and have been asked to preach at various churches in Lubumbashi(DRC) and Zimbabwe. The initial plan was to go with the Pajero with a team of 4 in July 2013 but something they cannot make it anymore.
Now I am thinking this to be the ideal excuse to put my BMW1200GSA through its passes on a solo trip. What do you guys think? Is a solo possible for a newby? I would also like to travel as cheap as possible(tent). Any comments/ideas/suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Offline Frohan Visser

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
Re: Solo newby doing Botswana, Zambia,DRC,Malawi & Zim. Info needed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 08:12:23 am »
If you stay on the tar its no problem, otherwise I hope your sand riding skills are good, lots of sand but definitely a trip one can do solo, just take tyre repair stuff and fill up where ever you can.

:thumleft:

Enjoy!!
1986 Suzuki DR 600, Confiscated in Egypt
1992 Suzuki DR 800, sold
1997 Suzuki DR 650, sold
2005 KTM 640 Adv, sold
201.. KTM 690 R in the next 2 years

Geotraveller

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 08:40:01 am »
Just make sure when you get to the Zambia/DRC border, I presume it will be Kasambulesa (as you are going to Lumbumbashi) you have all the docs in order. That place is a hellhole. See if you can find a "protocol" and get him to assist.

If you are going near Vic Falls, let me know. I have mates there.

Good luck, sounds like a great plan to me!

Offline Agriman

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 09:26:49 pm »
Well, if you coming via Malawi give me a shout and I will help where I can..enjoy
2012 BMW F800 GS
2012 KTM 300 XC-W

Offline ZIMCO

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:04:01 pm »
Thanks guys. Can someone tell me what is the current fuel prices in Botswana. Zimbabwe, Malawi, Zambia and DRC?

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:50:12 pm »
Hi. From which Church are you?

Can I go with? Where are you leaving from? How long do you anticipate your trip wil last?

Offline Shaky

• Bike: BMW R80GS
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:11:13 am »
Solo is the best way for such a trip. i have done a similar trip but with 3 and have allways wanted to do it solo. it's  all about attitude, and from your back ground would gather you are friendly, not aggressive, and smile often. that is the secret.I feltmuch safer camping in the bush in northen Zim than i ever felt in SA. Africa has an incredible faith base network and every village has some mission donated by some cause. you  could most likely camp in their grounds.  they also have a overlander/ backpacker route with fairly reasonable rates. normally 10$ per night to camp with Good facilities. Don't  try planning too  far ahead a be flexable. ask were you are staying for info  on places for the  next day. everyone is very helpfull. the roads are sometimes too good. mud and rain is a challenge but you are going in the dry season.

good luck!!
" In the end it is not the years in your life that count. It is the life in your years " Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bergie

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • WD# 3825
    • Hydra
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 10:19:59 am »
Very do able and rewarding to do it solo, I did it 4 months ago, PM sent.
 :thumleft:
Blessed are the Cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Offline chillin_in_bots

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 11:12:47 am »
Botswana will most probably be the easiest part of your trip. This depends if you're just tearing through or looking for some adventure- Botswana has both to offer! Sadly most people just stick to the eastern side, heading through on the tar roads.
Fuel price here is just under P10/l... 95% of places accept debit cards (VISA is the way to go- Mastercard has less coverage there) and money can be drawn from ATM's. Usually get the best exchange rate doing that too.