Regrets, I've had a few - New Old Ballie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuyB

Pack Dog
Reaction score
I was a bit apprehensive about introducing myself initially, but there seems to be room and tolerance on the forum for the wide spectrum of humanity and IMHO some sense has prevailed.

8673067970_abef7384d6_z.jpg

With Grandson Evan having his first ride on a bike.

8670146988_0cab2fe444_z.jpg

Residing: Durban - New Germany

Previous Bikes:
* 1979 Honda XL 185 – Traded it in on a
8669133893_9402e1b1b8_z.jpg

Yamaha XT550 which I sold in 1986,
8670197400_3559d845c3.jpg

after which I rode friends BMW 1000 RT for around a year until 1987. Nothing since then.

Current bike: Bought myself a 2005 BMW 650GS with 12000 on the clock in December. Why – Well you chose:
* The devil made me do it.
* Male menopause.
* An adventurous heart, or maybe
* I want to sing like Frankie – Regrets I've had a few…….

Other interests: I have a passion for the outdoors and visiting new places which has taken me all over South Africa and our neighbouring territories/countries. Started in varsity days with 2 Land Rovers and competitive spearfishing, switched to a Hi-Lux 4x4 and then owned a rare FJ43 and currently a 1996 80 Series S/W.

Land Cruisers: I have been integrally involved in the Land Cruiser Club of Southern Africa for over 10 years now and have a passion for these robust and reliable Kings of Africa. At our 10 Year Anniversary Saamtrek some of the Club’s guys came down on their bikes. They looked like Matrics on their 50’s (For those that still remember Itom’s Garelli’s and C110’s) and I felt like a Std. 6 lightie admiring their bikes. Maybe that also prompted me to buy the GS. Must say I battled between deciding between a KLR and the BMW.

For those who can still remember - ITOM
Itom_50cc_Moped_1.JPG

GARELLI
pic1_copy.jpg

HONDA - C110
12597.jpg

Workshop: I have collected and developed a well-equipped workshop over the years and I enjoy fiddling and building things 4x4 in my workshop and have made a variety of different add on’s for my Cruiser and friends Cruisers. I consider myself an accomplished DIY person and I have started to fiddle with the 650 GS as well.  Making knives as a hobby was where the workshop interest started.

8673068516_72ccdcab71_z.jpg

8671967671_ccf8b436e7_z.jpg

Hunting: I love the veld and enjoy an annual Hunt, born from my passion for spearfishing when I was younger, but I am getting to the Old Ballie stage now.

Radios and Marshalling: I am a not so serious HAM, rather using the little HAM skills that I have in assisting with marshalling local rallies and events such as the Total Rally, local Off-road events and other sports activities requiring mobile radio communications. The Cruiser guys also do the recovering of vehicles after the event.

JP Damseux's car, which had to be cut out of a tree at Rally SA
8671966787_eee9107dbc_z.jpg

Enzo Kuun's Polo being extracted from the Sugar Cane Total Rally 2013
8673067504_555108c746_z.jpg

Family: Been married now, for the best 32 years of my life, to the most wonderful girl in the world. We have a son and daughter and 2 grandchildren.

They are part of my family and I love my dogs and have owned 4 Rotties over the years. I can’t imagine a better family friend and protector than Rottweilers. They are just such awesome animals. Also always had a JR as a mobile in-home alarm service. Problem is they think they are Rotties.

What do I want to gain from this forum: I hope to make a couple of new friends; I need to pick up the experience of others, having been on 4 wheels only - for far too long. I hope to add to my technical knowledge since there are some real Guru's here and I hope to ease myself into some adventure travelling, without the luxuries of Fridges and stand up tents, in the back of a Cruiser.

I have enjoyed the forum so far, well….. some of it. I was rather dubious about some of the threads, but it does look like there are at least a number of kindred spirits here.

What has amazed me on this forum though, is the sometimes very open, contentious and potentially volatile discussions, with diagonally opposed opinions, but with very little of those discussions ending in a ‘flame war’. Congratulations to the mods and to the participants for the exemplary way in which most people have conducted these discussions.

What can I give back to this forum: Given my lack of current experience, I hope to be able to return what I can and also help someone along the way. Time will tell

Looking forward to the ride. Thanks guy’s + girls!