Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Remove 1200GS Catalytic Converter??  (Read 19254 times)

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
Re: Remove 1200GS Catalytic Converter??
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 07:51:03 am »
In my 15+ years of fiddling with cars and motorbikes of various displacements and power outputs I would say that the power gain on the "cat-less" 1200 GS to be 3 - 5 horsepower (2 - 4 kW) over a bike with catalytic converter.

I can't verbally motivate if it is worth it or not - that is a personal decision. You are right in saying that the 1200GS is a DS tourer and maybe one should buy a HP2 if all you want is to flat out all the time but there are others out there who may want that little bit more power and the knowledge that their bike is a little stronger.

My charge is based on amount of time taken to complete the job and the consumables and welding required.

I have removed the cat on my 2004 Dakar and modified the original exhaust to breathe out of both rear canisters and not just the right side one like on a stock bike. I am happy with the results - I do think it has a bit more power and a sweeter thumper sound without being loud and detracting from its "touring" nature like some of the aftermarket single pipes that are available. Top speed and fuel consumption are about the same as before but in gear acceleration and mid-range is better.
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Faantjie

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 01:39:04 am »
Same topic on UKGSER http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111173

Usefull info and pics on page four. From this fred there is also a link for the 1150's.

Happy reading!!! :deal:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:35:57 am by Faantjie »
anna go home some day...

Offline Beemer Man (RIP)

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 01:37:17 pm »
I have removed so many out of 1200's have lost count never had anything but positive feed back from any of My customers, did one one a X Challenge about a month ago, spoke to the owner Yesterday claims his top end is up by about 12kph his fuel consumtion has improved, and the front wheel lifts up at will. :biggrin:
I think if I actually found My mind, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it,

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 10:52:49 am »
OK so this is an older thread but can this be safely done on a DOHC model? MY zorst and all sorts of sensors all over it. Who can do it? How much? Is it worth it?
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Online EssBee

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 03:08:33 pm »
OK so this is an older thread but can this be safely done on a DOHC model? MY zorst and all sorts of sensors all over it. Who can do it? How much? Is it worth it?

Yes, can be done. Our local guy here, Mike, works on an exchange basis. Don't know what he charges for just that job.

Offline Steen

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 10:12:30 pm »
I had Justin (Motorradtech - Benoni) fit a Bazzaz Fuel Controller and fit a Akro pipe for me some months back. At the same time he had the cat removed on my 2010 GSA (he sent it out to be done, doesnt do it himself). I seem to remember the cat removal costing me R 1,100 odd. I can't say if just removing the cat is worth it, but going the whole hog does make a noticable difference.
BMW R1200GSA (30yr Anniversary) - 2010
BMW F800GS (30yr Anniversary) - 2011
BMW G650 X-Challenge - 2007
BMW R NineT - 2016
BMW R NineT Custom - 2014

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 07:23:43 am »

Yes, can be done. Our local guy here, Mike, works on an exchange basis. Don't know what he charges for just that job.

Exchange basis?? Do you exchange your other half for the duration of the job??
Have you done it?

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Online EssBee

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 11:04:04 am »

Have you done it?

He will ( normally) have a set of headers with the cat removed....you take the scoot to him, he removes your headers, fits the de-catted ones to the scoot, you grease his palm with silver and on your merry way. But he's is here in KZN....

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 11:55:50 am »

Ah I see. Clever, and saves the wait. YOu know what he charges? All out of interest.
I take it you havent done it yet?
Have you done it?

He will ( normally) have a set of headers with the cat removed....you take the scoot to him, he removes your headers, fits the de-catted ones to the scoot, you grease his palm with silver and on your merry way. But he's is here in KZN....

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

The following users thanked this post: @VT

Offline RYNOU

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 11:00:03 pm »
Interesting thread.  I have been toying with the idea for some time, not that I needed more power. Reading about mid range improvement now I suddenly have a need for it. Went to Gansbaai for work today and having to accelarate from 110 in 5th could be quicker as the powerband only comes in at 6000rpm or so. Especially when having to strip 3+ vehicles. (and I am 6.6ft - 140kgs) Whether theres a real improvement I will have to find out for myself, but it makes sence.

The uk thread has fotos showing where to cut and what to remove. Seems they leave the sleeve of the cat in and just cut the honeycomb clean out. Looks simple enough. Why spend to have it done? They are specific about welding back together with 316 welding rod. That I will have done by a stainless steel welder / contractor locally.

PS. I will use a hacksaw and work my way around the box until it splits. Not to fond of angle grinders and will lose less material in the cut.

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 07:25:08 am »
Interesting thread.  I have been toying with the idea for some time, not that I needed more power. Reading about mid range improvement now I suddenly have a need for it. Went to Gansbaai for work today and having to accelarate from 110 in 5th could be quicker as the powerband only comes in at 6000rpm or so. Especially when having to strip 3+ vehicles. (and I am 6.6ft - 140kgs) Whether theres a real improvement I will have to find out for myself, but it makes sence.

The uk thread has fotos showing where to cut and what to remove. Seems they leave the sleeve of the cat in and just cut the honeycomb clean out. Looks simple enough. Why spend to have it done? They are specific about welding back together with 316 welding rod. That I will have done by a stainless steel welder / contractor locally.

PS. I will use a hacksaw and work my way around the box until it splits. Not to fond of angle grinders and will lose less material in the cut.

Take pics for us and let us know if there is any difference afterwards

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline silvrav

Re: Re: Remove 1200GS Catalytic Converter??
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 07:46:18 am »
Sub

Online EssBee

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 11:57:06 am »
Mike here has a "stage one" mod  that includes the de-cat...the other goodies are the anti-ping trick and the fancy air-filter...what is it...ANC or CNA or BMC...whatever, you know what I mean.

On my to-do list.

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 12:56:03 pm »
Mike here has a "stage one" mod  that includes the de-cat...the other goodies are the anti-ping trick and the fancy air-filter...what is it...ANC or CNA or BMC...whatever, you know what I mean.

On my to-do list.

BMC  ;D

The Anti Ping trick???

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 03:27:16 pm »
Couple pics to show what to expect. I gutted my silencer the same time ,so I cant tell if it is the combined result ,but power is more now. After changing to 2nd you could lift the front wheel by just opening the throttle .  >:D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 03:33:20 pm by Skipskop »
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline silvrav

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 09:40:24 am »

On my to-do list.

can you send me his details>?

Offline TheBear

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 04:33:27 pm »
Cant believe nobody mentions the most important thing about removing the cat apart from the weight saving is that you can do away with putting in unleaded fuel only, very important when going over the Borders!!

Is this correct?  What about the Lambda sensors, for instance?
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2014, 02:03:27 pm »
 O0
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Biker_Mike

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • T-junction...What T-junction?
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2014, 03:54:50 pm »
I actually cant focus on anything else other than Mikie's profile pic. Does anyone have the same problem?
I didn't see a T-junction?

Still alive and kicking 2013.....
CRF250X '12 (little sperms leak out of my pants)
Third reality smack '10 (cant remember much) BMW F800 GS '08 (they gave me biltong and rooibos tea) Kawasaki ZX9-Rc '07 (fast piece of shit and kak service) Second reality smack '04 (even cooler x-rays) Suzuki DRZ-e 400 '03 (indestructable) First reality smack '02 (cool scars) Honda CBR600 F4 '02 (honda NSR replacement) Honda NSR150 repsol replica '01 (factory default - engine explosion)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 09:51:26 am »
Is anti ping necessary on the dohc?
But subscribed! As a standard I always try to get my catalytic converters removed
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...