Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Remove 1200GS Catalytic Converter??  (Read 19255 times)

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Remove 1200GS Catalytic Converter??
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2014, 02:48:20 pm »
If u care for the enviroment you will remove these planet killers , and protest against "the cat"
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline EssBee

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 04:00:29 pm »
I actually cant focus on anything else other than Mikie's profile pic. Does anyone have the same problem?

I've kakked him out numerous times about it but he just won't listen.....thankfully... 8)

Mike at Motorrad Works....he is actually a ( verry verry quiet ) forum member...called "Hey Pale Face"

Offline RYNOU

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2014, 10:12:45 pm »
I took the plunge and takled the job of removing the cat myself. I cut the cat box with a hacksaw just in front of the weld (engine side) and worked my way around until it split. With the cat exposed I then drilled all along the side with an 8mm steel drill every 10mm or so and wigled the drill to remove the core of the cat. Then cleaned out the cat box with a grind stone on drill. I had the end welded on again by a proffesional stainless steel workshop. (316 rod to be used)

Total spent: 3 hours of my time and R 125 for the welding.

Test drive impressions:
-no fault readings on dash
-on start up i immediately noticed the heat of the exhaust gases and the defined pulsing and sound of the exhaust strokes compared to the more even flow before. the sound is more defined yet not really much louder
-normal pull away pretty much as before, but the engine feels smoother and more flowy(if thats a word)
-mid to top end rev range is definately smoother yet more aggresive hitting the limiter in 5th pretty quick (before it took a while longer)
-on throttle response i cannot really say theres a significant improvement as it was nippy before
-big difference on the over run though which is now noticibly longer and i had to check braking distances for cornering as the engine keeps its momentum much better. this also improved the gearchanges quite a bit.
-on lower revs while gunning it the engine tends to send a bit more through the frame. i presume its the improved torque.
-i did an acceleration test in second and got quite a surprise as the front wheel lifted at 4000rpm and the asc had to keep it in check all the way to the limiter. this hasn't happened before! 

Do i think its worth it? YES!

PS. I took step by step photos, but they are too big for the forum. Can email them to anyone whos interested.

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2014, 07:51:55 am »
I took the plunge and takled the job of removing the cat myself. I cut the cat box with a hacksaw just in front of the weld (engine side) and worked my way around until it split. With the cat exposed I then drilled all along the side with an 8mm steel drill every 10mm or so and wigled the drill to remove the core of the cat. Then cleaned out the cat box with a grind stone on drill. I had the end welded on again by a proffesional stainless steel workshop. (316 rod to be used)

Total spent: 3 hours of my time and R 125 for the welding.

Test drive impressions:
-no fault readings on dash
-on start up i immediately noticed the heat of the exhaust gases and the defined pulsing and sound of the exhaust strokes compared to the more even flow before. the sound is more defined yet not really much louder
-normal pull away pretty much as before, but the engine feels smoother and more flowy(if thats a word)
-mid to top end rev range is definately smoother yet more aggresive hitting the limiter in 5th pretty quick (before it took a while longer)
-on throttle response i cannot really say theres a significant improvement as it was nippy before
-big difference on the over run though which is now noticibly longer and i had to check braking distances for cornering as the engine keeps its momentum much better. this also improved the gearchanges quite a bit.
-on lower revs while gunning it the engine tends to send a bit more through the frame. i presume its the improved torque.
-i did an acceleration test in second and got quite a surprise as the front wheel lifted at 4000rpm and the asc had to keep it in check all the way to the limiter. this hasn't happened before! 

Do i think its worth it? YES!

PS. I took step by step photos, but they are too big for the forum. Can email them to anyone whos interested.

I do think this is going to be the route I will take, and was hacking through easy?
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline RYNOU

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 11:46:27 am »
Cutting was easy. Used a hacksaw and created a groove all round before cutting through to keep the line. Also marked it for correct alignment when welding.

Offline EssBee

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2014, 12:38:10 pm »
Rynou...would dig to see the pics....open them in PAINT and then go IMAGE...Stretch/Skew and downsize...pleez.

Offline RYNOU

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2014, 06:25:51 pm »
Here is the first 4 fotos

Offline RYNOU

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2014, 06:30:42 pm »
and 4 more

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2014, 06:49:25 am »
It is amazing to think that with a restriction like that these motors actually go.  What mileage is your bike on Rynou?  These things have a limited lifespan if remember correctly.
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2014, 07:51:36 am »
Are you sure you removed it completely?
Looking at Skipskops photos on the previous page, it looks like that entire thing comes out and no drilling and grinding is required  ???

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2014, 07:52:53 am »

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline RYNOU

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2014, 10:51:49 am »
My bike is on 37000km. the whole core was removed, but the sleeve remained as i didn't think it was necessary to remove and would be more work. the pass through volume of the sleeve is anyway much more than the end pipe into the can. after riding some more im even more convinced it was the right thing to do. the engine overrun is especially nice. 

Offline EssBee

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2014, 10:55:29 am »
Okay, I picked up my scoot from Mike @ Motorad Works last night....took it for a 20k km service so asked him to de-cat the thing aswell. Yes! It feels good! Now, need to take it back for the rest of the "stage 1", the anti-ping and the ANC/CNA/whatever air-filter  >:D Can't wait!

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2014, 11:35:50 am »
Okay, I picked up my scoot from Mike @ Motorad Works last night....took it for a 20k km service so asked him to de-cat the thing aswell. Yes! It feels good! Now, need to take it back for the rest of the "stage 1", the anti-ping and the ANC/CNA/whatever air-filter  >:D Can't wait!

You feel a difference?
More responsive?

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline EssBee

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2014, 04:20:01 pm »

You feel a difference?
More responsive?

Yes...small but it's there...that's why I can't wait to do the rest. Pipe sounds more throaty too....although I didn't really want that...but it's minimal.

Offline LLTHB

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2014, 01:14:26 pm »
Just done my de-cat at Mike in Hillcrest, 100% well worth the mod.

New headers in perfect condition waiting for me, good welds, cat 100% removed and box polished out. In and out in less than 1 hr. Bike better under acceleration and runs on better when you gear down to brake, far less jerky. Whole bike much smoother.

Also did the anti ping mod - installed a resistor that works with ambient air temp and makes fuel mix richer - again so much better as the bike is much smoother, does not cut out when you gear down etc.

I cannot say if it was the de-cat or the temp resistor but both together have made such a vast improvement.

Should have done this 2 GSA's and 40 000ks again.

Cheers.
Karoo View Cottages
Prince Albert, Western Cape
Motorbike Friendly
http://www.karooview.co.za/
Discount to Wild Dogs

Offline EssBee

« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2014, 11:47:29 am »
@LLTHB...those are probably my "old" headers that you have now... :biggrin:

Offline LLTHB

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2014, 04:53:19 pm »
Update on removal of cat from GSA

Just did 2000ks this weekend - Durban to Rhodes over Naudes Pass and home via the Free State.

So much better after anti ping mod and removal of cat. No backfiring, no poop poop poop as you go down steep descents using the engine as compression brake. Bike is much smoother all round.

My biggest problem with the engine running to lean and pinging now seems to be done away with.

Cheers.
Karoo View Cottages
Motorbike Friendly
Discount to Wild Dogs

Offline EssBee

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2014, 09:03:19 am »
Lakka! :thumleft:

Do you still have the std air-filter?? Not the BMC/ANC/whatever unit...?

Offline LLTHB

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2014, 04:04:52 pm »
Still have standard but will upgrade as soon as stock arrives.

Cheers.
Karoo View Cottages
Motorbike Friendly
Discount to Wild Dogs