Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What is a good bike to start enduro style riding with?  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: What is a good bike to start enduro style riding with?
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 11:46:10 am »
Yeah, after looking at a few bikes I really could'nt wrap my head around a 2T.. I know, I know, it is for sure the way I should have gone BUT bear in mind i am an adventure bike rider like a lot of okes on the forum, so my riding style is to load a bike with tons of crap and go for a ride for a few days on anything from jeep tracks to gravel highways so when i got onto a 2t I basically just spent the entire time living in fear, I don't have the time, skill or patience to learn to ride one right now, so I am going to do this in stages, I got rid of the XR650R and got the CRF450X which will allow me to still do some of the riding I like to do but also gradually introduce me to a different kind of riding. My 1st impression already is that the bike is a lot smaller , a lot lighter.. so that is a step in the right direction. Also with the kid getting the CRF230 it will allow us to ride in similar places without much fuss.

In a year or so and if my budget allows I will probably go down to a 200/250.

The CRF450X has arrived and has gone to Dux to be stripped down and gone over with a toothbrush.. I hate getting a bike and not knowing that everything is not perfect on it, so as soon as he has worked his magic I will get on her and give you a little ride report comparison between the XRR and the CRF.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 11:51:19 am »
Congratulations Fuzzy

I understand where you are coming from. I just could not get used to a 2T since I have been riding 4Tís my whole life. I did however find one 2T that I truly loved more than a 4T. So will be buying one as soon as I get my shit sorted.

Hope you enjoy the CRF. Great bikes

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
  • No vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 12:00:05 pm »
Congrats Fuzz, enjoy the little red demon   >:D
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2013, 08:27:41 pm »
Took her out into Atlantis dunes today.. shoo wee.. it was lekker fun. I need to work on my fitness though, I can feel I haven't been on a bike in those kinds of situations for nearly a year, it was a cool day and after 30min I was sweating up a storm. It was great to get back in the seat and let her rip. I even pulled off my 1st standing wheelie ( completly by mistake  :imaposer: )
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2013, 10:32:12 am »
Hey Muzzy,

So what did you do ? I'm in the market as well now for a play bike. KDX, CRF 250 X or WR 250. Don't want to go bigger than that.

What do those who know say between the Honda and Yamaha. No idea what my budget is yet. First time shopper so don't even know what these bikes are going for.  :eek7:

Frankly, I have little idea what they are  :imaposer:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2013, 10:35:07 am »
Hey Muzzy,

So what did you do ? I'm in the market as well now for a play bike. KDX, CRF 250 X or WR 250. Don't want to go bigger than that.

What do those who know say between the Honda and Yamaha. No idea what my budget is yet. First time shopper so don't even know what these bikes are going for.  :eek7:

Frankly, I have little idea what they are  :imaposer:

Kan nie verkeerd gaan met die WR250 nie. Vra maar vir tau  ;)

EDIT: Nuut is hulle nie cheap nie. Dink dis 78k as ek dit nie mis het nie
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:37:29 am by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2013, 10:37:43 am »
Dis wat ek hoor.

Het eers nie agter gekom die thread het meer as een blaai toe ek gevra het nie. Nou als gelees. Genoeg om oor na te dink.  :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2013, 10:45:09 am »
 :laughing4:

Yeah, look I did everything the wrong way around and I paid the price.

Everyone starts off with a small bike and moves their way up, I started with an XR650R and I saw my ass in more ways than one.

I am still new to this kind of riding and I have a ton to learn, smaller is better. Even with my 450 now I can see the benefit of going smaller.

Maintainance is a bitch of a reality, changing a filter after every ride or second ride, oil after 10 - 15 hours and on some bikes a piston after 15 hours..  :eek7: takes some getting used to.. the wallet is flippin empty, but the grin is wider.

Offline weskus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2013, 10:42:02 am »
Fuzzy, dan gaan ons jou sien by Eendekuil, het so 3weke terug my scootertjie gekry en geniet hom vreeslik...ek like weer die by-innie blik :laughing4:
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax,Honda S110 Benly, Honda C110 trail, Yamaha RS125, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:59 am »
Fuzzy, dan gaan ons jou sien by Eendekuil, het so 3weke terug my scootertjie gekry en geniet hom vreeslik...ek like weer die by-innie blik :laughing4:

You have the worlds best bike to learn enduro riding on  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:33:41 pm by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Wihan

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2013, 05:27:55 pm »
+ 1

Offline gardenboy

• has quite a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • ex-Wes46
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2013, 10:15:50 am »
KDX or CRF it is  :thumleft:
CRF250X is a brilliant bike. Very popular, as well as the YZ250F for enduro. I have a CRF450X that I want to start enduro with..Electric start makes it a breeze when you fall over and flood the bike. You can pick up a nice one that hasn't been used much and been well maintained for about R24k.

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2013, 10:25:09 am »
CRF250X is a brilliant bike. Very popular, as well as the YZ250F for enduro. I have a CRF450X that I want to start enduro with..Electric start makes it a breeze when you fall over and flood the bike. You can pick up a nice one that hasn't been used much and been well maintained for about R24k.

My KXF250 started every time, with a gentle prod on the kick-start lever, regardless of whether it fell over or not. It was easier to start than my RM250.

Offline gardenboy

• has quite a
  • Race Dog
  • ex-Wes46
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2013, 10:27:29 am »
Nice! Went riding at melkbos last weekend, and in one of the tighter turns, a mate of mine dug in and dropped the bike. Took us ten minutes of kicking that YZ450 before it started. And the valve timing had just been done on the bike... So that just made me happy to have electric start (if the same had to happen to me).

Offline gardenboy

• has quite a
  • Race Dog
  • ex-Wes46
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2013, 10:32:43 am »
Now I see you got yourself a CRF450X... Nice choice! I'm thoroughly enjoying mine!

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2013, 10:37:56 am »
Nice! Went riding at melkbos last weekend, and in one of the tighter turns, a mate of mine dug in and dropped the bike. Took us ten minutes of kicking that YZ450 before it started. And the valve timing had just been done on the bike... So that just made me happy to have electric start (if the same had to happen to me).

There is a trick to starting all 4T thumpers after they fall over.
Open the throttle fully and give the bike five or six good kicks in a row.
Bring the piston to just past TDC.
Keep the throttle closed and give one good kick; it should start every time unless it has other issues, like tight valves etc.
Oh; don't forget the hot start; it is there for a reason.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:38:35 am by Rough Rider »

Offline gardenboy

• has quite a
  • Race Dog
  • ex-Wes46
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2013, 10:43:34 am »
Awesome, will definitely remember that for next time!!  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2013, 10:48:03 am »

Keep the throttle closed and give one good kick; it should start every time unless it has other issues, like tight valves etc.

Jirrrrr.... Try repeating that 20 times on a hot summers day  :puke_r:

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Hang time
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2013, 10:52:23 am »

Jirrrrr.... Try repeating that 20 times on a hot summers day  :puke_r:

If your bike is not starting after it fell over there is something wrong it. The same trick will also apply to electric start thumpers that don't start on the first prod of the button after it fell over.

BTW nobody said that electric start is not lekker to have  :thumleft:

Offline gardenboy

• has quite a
  • Race Dog
  • ex-Wes46
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2013, 10:55:44 am »

BTW nobody said that electric start is not lekker to have  :thumleft:
[/quote]
AH, it's a dream. I'm a skinny dude, so my chicken legs wouldn't survive kicking a 450 700 times on a hot summer's day.. Electric start for the win.