Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: back from monkey land  (Read 2385 times)

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
back from monkey land
« on: May 14, 2006, 09:15:23 am »
it seems the tswaing crater was not caused by a rock falling from outer space - one of the locals threw the rock. yup, thats right! maybe he was from lesotho. either way, we had an excellent day yesterday untill one monkey decided it would be fun to do the first dumb thing that came into his peanut sized brain...pick up a rock and try and hit a white guy on a bike. he succeeded. i dunno whether he tried to do the same with the 15 guys that passed before me, but by the tyime i got there he had finetuned his aim and hit me on the tank. i am super pissed because the paint is now peeling off the plastic.

it would have been one thing if i fell and caused the damage myself, but this guy quickly walked off in betwee the shacks when i stopped, and none of the 20 people standing there wanted  to own-up or confront him......cowards

pepperspray would have been his dish of the day. or maybe we can go back there with sharkza's M16  :twisted:

Kev

back from monkey land
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 11:13:30 am »
Man, thats really not nice. I feel for you. It hurts twice.  :x

I have had rocks thrown at me many times in SA: while exploring fire-break roads, numerous times all over in Natal, Lesotho while training for the Roof, and near Sun City and Britz. It seem its a real rural problem.*  And it has been happening for years... Is it just a bit of fun for kids / teenagers involved, or do they think they are protecting their villages from some threat? Its a good think they are not chucking assegais around.  :shock:

* I had rocks and bottle chucked at me in Soweto, Alberton, Daveyton and a places with names I cannot spell, let alone pronounce. Thanks SADF. But that was different... mind you most of the time it was still youngsters. Maybe they get taught this from the time they are babies. We had teddy-bears to throw around the house, they get rocks. Fokken tsotsies.  :(

Offline Grootseun

back from monkey land
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 11:52:31 am »
Yeah, Krazy....they tried to hit all of us, but unfortunately, they were acurate enough to hit your bike. It is a risk one takes when traveling thru darkest africa...

Hope you can sort the problem out with little hassle.

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
back from monkey land
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 12:09:03 pm »
this twatwaffle was not a kid, he must have been at least 25 or more. anyway....par for the course....or sumthin'   :x

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
back from monkey land
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 01:02:06 pm »
Krazy that sucks, I was wondering why you stopped at the one turnoff. On the April fools ride I was hit on the knee with a rock *ouch*  :evil:
Luckily that was a small klein kak throwing the rock, at least my knee protected my bike  :lol: Anyway it was a great ride, really enjoyed the sandy bits on the road ! Oh yes and thanks for the bag, it works perfectly. My tent and sleeping bag is inside with some room to spare for other stuff.

PS The crater took another victim, Baldy had two get offs within 50 meters and suffered broken plastic and snapped clutch lever  :shock:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Baldy

• Pack Dog
back from monkey land
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 05:43:34 pm »
KE, that sucks big time!  At least my damage was self inflicted.

The damage is slightly more than plastic and the lever.  I bent the handlebar, bent the side of the radiator and it looks like the fan may be stuffed.

It looks like the KLR will be out of action for a while. I have a couple of exams coming up over the next 3 weeks, so I don't really have the time to fix it now.   :(

I was a bit upset after the fall, so I didn't even take any pictures of the crater.   Hopefully someone else will post some.

I also want to give a big thanks for all that that helped me out - much appreciated!

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
back from monkey land
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 06:15:33 pm »
fixing a bike is part of the fun for me (although this time it is the paint, and thats different). sure, damaging it sux, but once you've accepted the fact, it becomes like a big mechano set for me. as long as its nothing big, like bent chassis etc.
at least you can now fit a nice renthal handlebar  :wink:

Offline droffarc

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
back from monkey land
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 06:48:48 pm »
Geeze, does ANYBODY know WHY they throw the stones?

Maybe we should throw back and play fetch.
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

shark_za

back from monkey land
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 07:23:38 pm »
25... so that puts him in about Standard 5? Maybe struggling in Std 6?

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
back from monkey land
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 08:04:12 pm »
Quote from: "droffarc"
Geeze, does ANYBODY know WHY they throw the stones?

Maybe we should throw back and play fetch.

Because they are still stuck in the stone age that's why  :evil:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
back from monkey land
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 08:04:40 pm »
This stone throwing is becoming a problem all over, possibly a case of the 'have-not's' being pissed off at the 'have's'. We have had this problem in Lesotho for many years, sad that it is happening in SA as well.
KE, while you are sorting out the paintwork you can attend to the rust as well... :D  :D
What happened to you after this, you weren't at the crater?
Baldy, no first gear prangs count...They are called 'learning curves'.
A new set of Renthal handlebars and a decent set of hand protectors will sort this out. Any good MX shop will sell you a set of hand protectors, get the ones with steel liners.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
back from monkey land
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 08:40:18 pm »
Krazy, sorry you had such bad luck that spoilt a really nice ride for you.

Baldy, I am afraid that is DS riding, happened to most of us, just the cost that varies.....

Thanks for the ride guys, it was awesome...
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
back from monkey land
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 11:23:15 pm »
Quote from: "Adventurer"
KE, while you are sorting out the paintwork you can attend to the rust as well... :D  :D

i was waiting for that! it is an aftermarket bolt, the non stainless steel type, hence the rust.  :?

What happened to you after this, you weren't at the crater?

i headed back to joburg because i was pissed about the damage to my bike, and had a braai to organise for the evening.

Offline FortyZA

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
back from monkey land
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 08:06:53 am »

Baldy, no first gear prangs count...They are called 'learning curves'.
A new set of Renthal handlebars and a decent set of hand protectors will sort this out. Any good MX shop will sell you a set of hand protectors, get the ones with steel liners.

I agree with ADV, If I were you Baldy, I would look at replacing your levers with the folding type.  I saw them at Mosskays and they bend up and down and if you put good set of handle bar protectors on, any off's occur, all should be okay.

KE - If anyone can fully explain why Houts throw stones, maybe then everyone could understand and maybe try and get the word out there to the locals that their actions not only cause damage, but could eventually end up KILLING someone, either from the rock or as a result of the fall. Good thing is it is only paint and not anything worse like falling off.  Sad but true. I feel for you.

Otherwise great ride and amazing company, amazing destination.

Thanks to all who attended.
Eddie
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
back from monkey land
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 08:23:59 am »
Man thats something I hate. The stone throwers. But wait......here it comes.

2003, Aliwal North, early down, 2km before town,  a peanut brained monkey stuck in the stone age, took aim and hit my AT between her eyes. Glass everywhere, pissed big time, made an u turn and charged with the foothpath up the low hill.

Monkey whose age I put round 15 run to his parents sitting in the sun in front of their shack. Nope they said. Leave our monkey alone.  Back to the road and on to the police stastion. Big mistake.

"you got Insurance? "yes I replied".  "So whats your problem" they ask.

This my friends, I believe is the core of the problem. Nobody gives a shit. So it will go on and on and on and on......SAD! :twisted:
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
back from monkey land
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 09:31:26 am »
Quote from: "Ama ride ride"
Leave our monkey alone.

:lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
back from monkey land
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 10:20:19 am »
Maverick make mental note for next holiday....pack rocks in suitcase :D

This seems to become a more regular occurance, spend nine years on the road in SA and never ever had a rock thrown at me and my areas covered anything from JHB, Sasolburg all the way up to Brits. Not one single problem ever, maybe they felt sorry for me riding my little opel cadet hoenderhok looking poorer for the part :) I can however confirm that the little fekcers this side of africa are more likely to throw you with a bottle or firecrackers/rockets  :shock: , it's another specie of monkey though being very cheeky and white and confronting them in large packs could lead to you getting a beating if you don't kick their heads in first(bliksem nou vra vrae later :wink: )
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

masehare

back from monkey land
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 01:45:49 pm »
Quote from: "Ama ride ride"
Monkey whose age I put round 15 run to his parents sitting in the sun in front of their shack. Nope they said. Leave our monkey alone.

You should have told the dad to go and spank his monkey.  :twisted:

Offline Grootseun

back from monkey land
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 09:06:40 am »
In Afrika, damage to your bike is just a stone throw away.....

Made it myself...what happens when you have to sit througha 2 hour graduation ceremony....

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
back from monkey land
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 04:57:57 pm »
Obviously I was not there. But on offroad rides we encountered the same thing and mostly it was because riders were speeding. This was dangerous and also created loads of dust that settles on these people's washing.

Throwing stones is obviously not the solution.
Live like someone left the gate open.