Popping Wheelies in Traffic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentbob

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So on Tuesday I'm commuting home on William Nicol and this bloke on what looked like a KTM 950 Super Enduro with a KINI Red Bull sticker kit (to the owner ... nice bike) pushes past me... OK, slightly not impressed because if he has just waited 30 seconds there would have been ample space and I did not have to almost have my handle bar clipped.

I however catch him at the next light and the moment it turns green he fly's off and so it goes for about 8 lights (I guess though some folk have this absolute need to be the first to stop at the next traffic light). Racing off like that is however not my problem and since I'm riding my speed behind him, I'm not really bugged by it. What however did bug me was this absolute need of his bloke to pop a wheelie and try hold it for as long as possible (or at least till he caught the tail end of traffic) from each and every friggin' traffic light. Heck the one light he even stopped the bike on a front wheelie.

This blokes skill on the tar is OBVIOUSLY far superior to mine and impressive (I can't wheelie and I don't really care to either) ... but really, that sort of riding is just immature and reckless in my opinion. If you want to pop wheelies, fine ... go pop wheelies on a track where you don't pose a hazard to your fellow road users, because quite honestly everyone just looks at this and thinks "<insert Afrikaans word for a box here>".

So my question is why? Why this need to act like a "<insert Afrikaans word for a box here>" and pop wheelies during afternoon traffic? I just don't get it. Please explain.

Oh... just another thing (in case you are on this forum) ... get some gear. T-Shirt = Road Paint.