Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH BMW - PLEASE READ GS/GSA OWNERS  (Read 7580 times)

Offline plonker

Re: VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH BMW - PLEASE READ GS/GSA OWNERS
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2013, 01:36:26 pm »
Eish !! :)

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2013, 01:53:20 pm »
Agter elke KTM staan n ATM.

So wat se ek nou eintlik??

Koop n fooking                 K               T                 M                  en voel hoe n REGTE bike moet voel.

En dit sluit jou in Oom Dan  :imaposer:   :imaposer: 

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2013, 01:55:36 pm »

use a better site for sourcing parts and info and you wont get worked up about nothing so quickly  :peepwall:

:ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

I never claimed my information to be fact.
Unlike you. Do you have confirmation that maxbmwmotorcycles actually HAS the parts available or do you just ASSUME they have what they advertise on the www?

Maybe trying to order the parts would leave you a bit less :ricky: :ricky: :ricky: ?

I have long and painful experience with ordering stuff which "is available on the shelf" or "ships in 3 to 5 days". ::)

Then you write about having to sand down and respray a part for your bike (which could be as little as six years old) and tell us BMW will not stop supplying parts for your bike any time soon ???

You're right. They have done it already. :lol8:
You're just lucky that you can find plenty of matching parts on the Sertao shelf.

At the end of the day it all boils down to:

The OP's bike was out of warranty and it broke.
BMW said: Sorry Dude  out of warranty.

The OP asked: How could it break so early?
BMW apparently did not bother to give him an answer. (Not good)

If I may jump in here to bring the story closer to a conclusion:
Everything can break, for a myriad of reasons.
If your R1200GS final drive packs up after 20,000km you're unlucky.
Really unlucky if your warranty has expired.

If you believe your BMW can't break after as little as 20,000km you're naive.

This is hard news. :'(
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2013, 02:02:16 pm »
2007........... Shoot, how long does a manufacturer have to guarantee something ???
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline NeelsK

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2013, 02:08:02 pm »
Fudmucker, I can and will obviously only speak of my own experiences, and having owned MANY Japanese bikes I feel absolutely privileged in informing you here that there is a good reason why Jap owners of motorcycles do not need to be babied in the BMW sense. Warranty issues only become issues if and when your bike breaks down, and I CAN NOT complain about reliability on Japanese machines.
The joke here is that if you continue servicing your out-of-warranty machine at BMW, you will have paid for any faults anyway in the form of very expensive parts and labour costs.
OR DO YOU BMW FANS REALLY BELIEVE THAT BMW IS GIVING YOU PARTS FOR FREE???? There VERY high labour and parts cost ensure that they can "give" you some stuff for "free".
Advice; service elsewhere, or at home yourself, but calculate how much you save and put that saving aside for when[not if] that FD kaks. You will find that it becomes self-explanatory why BMW can give "free goodwill back-up" to those that have invested with them already.
Common logic really, that really nothing is ever for free. BMW just convinces it's fans that it is. :lol8:

I agree with 2Stroke 100%. 
~~~
R1200GS Adv (2011) - X : F800GS (2010) - X : R1200GS LC (2013) - X : F700GS (2014) - X : RnineT (2014) : R1200GSA (2012)

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2013, 02:14:18 pm »
I think the whole issue here was the mileage, IMO very low, but because certain conditions were not met BMW feel they can refute this claim.
I had a F/D overhauled that blew bearings at 40 000km, also very low, but it was discovered that a critical spacer was missing, now this could only have been during assembly, but, because the bike was way out of warranty, and had been serviced by non BMW entities, the owner did not even contemplate taking this up with BMW, knowing it would be a waste of time.
BMW have guidelines that they work within, and they need to in order to protect themselves.
I will never fit aftermarket items to any bike, but if a customer supplies aftermarket items like oil filters, oil etc himself and insists I fit them, I will do so, but he must understand I will only guarantee workmanship, not parts fitted, or any subsequent damage because of an aftermarket item.

In this case it is a case of 'shit happens, move on'.....BMW cannot be blamed here.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline King Louis

« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2013, 02:49:56 pm »
Everybody can decide for himself if to buy from the dealer with warranty/guarantee on various items. Once you are prepared to do that, you know that you pay a premium. But you also know that they will look after you.

If you want to go the cheaper option, beware of the potential consequences. It's simple. Telaviv.

Waiting, waiting for my FD to pack in....so far only 317.000 klicks......nothing, nix, fokol. :ricky:

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2013, 02:57:40 pm »
Kurt. 2 things.

1. Ive send you a pm, you never replied  >:D
2. Stop talking on here, and finish the 1190 rear carrier plates.

Thanks in Advance.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2013, 03:22:02 pm »
Agter elke KTM staan n ATM.

So wat se ek nou eintlik??

Koop n fooking                 K               T                 M                  en voel hoe n REGTE bike moet voel.

En dit sluit jou in Oom Dan  :imaposer:   :imaposer: 

Yirre Manic you are brand fickle!  ::)

.... In the country of the blind the one-eyed man is a king.

:laughing4:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2013, 05:43:04 pm »
I'm only loyal what I ride.

I had 5 BMW's, they were great  :thumleft:
Now I have a KTM, that is now awesome and BMW is kak!!  :pot:  :peepwall:

:imaposer:  :imaposer:

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2013, 06:50:05 pm »
Bike Tyre Center(also in Centurion) who balanced both wheels and confirmed that the rear wheel weren't bend or anything.

After the service I did about 1700 km's and on the last trip it felt like the rear was  shaking a bit when I closed the throttle. I called Andrew and asked him what was wrong and he said it can be the rear shock and that I should bring the motorcycle in which I did on 22/03/2013. After inspecting the motorcycle Andrew showed me that the rear wheel was completely loose and said the flange came loose that he needed to take it apart to see if anything was damaged.

I think somebody maybe did not torque your wheel correctly and thus fubar-ed your diff.  Just saying...  And by that I do not necessarily mean Bike Tyre Centre (I know nothing of them).  If the lugs have been over-torqued in the past, it will loose tension.  The vibration will kill a BMW diff.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:56:20 pm by Bill the Bong »

Offline Duke916

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2013, 07:47:01 pm »
That is exactly the reason why I service my own bikes  ::)  sorry to hear of your misfortune but you will find that all of the other makes also suffer from these kind of mishaps and gets the same negative feedback. I tend to ride a bike that I like regardless of the trouble that they might give me at some stage ( I own 2 Ducati's   :imaposer: )
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Now :  1100RC  R100 RT    1098  RGV 250  KTM 495  R 1200GS ADV    KLR650

Offline Plaashaas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2013, 09:04:14 pm »
why do u keep on re-posting like in wtf ????

same post as last time
????

if this is how u communicate no wonder people dont respond to you !!!!!!!!

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=123688.0
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:06:03 pm by Plaashaas »
Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline GeeSA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • espiritu libre
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2013, 07:36:05 am »
@Linde, I had a similar issue with my 2008 GSA with <40k mileage and all the previous services at Lyndhurst (from when I owned it at +-8500km, also made sure the previous owner had done the same).

Fortunately I only had to replace the bearing since I caught it early, but it still made me wonder why BMW was so cagey when responding to my questions. That's what pissed me off the most. When I was told that the bearing went because of a bent rim, I went to Cytech to have it repaired only to be told that there was nothing wrong with it and the slight wobble was pretty normal on the Adventure. I was then really peeved and wrote a stinker of a mail to BMW. No response, so I then went online and found every name with a bmw/motorrad suffix and resent the mail to everyone. A few days later I received a call from Lyndhurst to say that they would refund 50% of the cost of the part (bearing), which was only such a small portion of the total cost of repair, but in the end I accepted this offer and slunk away, knowing that this was the best outcome I could probably hope for. I won't post the letter here as I no longer need to 'dump' about this and I'm not selling my GS either, because I really like it, but I still feel as though we've been kept in the dark here and it's the dishonesty that irks me.

All you have to do is google 'final drive failure' on the GSA and see what comes up. It's nothing new. Try not to get too caught up in it though, you're right --- it's like farting against thunder.

sticky side down mate.
There is nothing to fear, but fear itself

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
Re: Re: VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH BMW - PLEASE READ GS/GSA OWNERS
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2013, 07:54:02 am »
Linde, have you Hellopeter'd this situation? We South Africans need to learn to stop complaining umongst ourselves.
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
Re: Re: VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH BMW - PLEASE READ GS/GSA OWNERS
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2013, 08:47:31 am »
Linde, have you Hellopeter'd this situation? We South Africans need to learn to stop complaining umongst ourselves.

What should we do.  We are bouncing off ideas here to equip ourselves with a strategy of what to do next. :sip:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Plaashaas

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Current rides: F800GS x 2

Id rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.

Offline TheBear

« Reply #117 on: May 07, 2013, 02:46:53 pm »
Moondog,

Taking a dump but will also be an active part of the forum. Only registered recently and have been reading some of the posts and decided that other GS owners should be informed of this. I think the guys with 1200 GS's should know about this problem so they can try and avoid this somehow.

But what is the problem?  You don't say what the issue is.  My GS is at almost 80 000km and my wife's is at 90 000km without a diff problem ever.  Also, since 2008 we have only had excellent service from Bavarian, so I don't really understand the problem.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline 2StrokeDan

• I've been to paradise, but i've never been to me....
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • RD350 and Rossi!!!!!!
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2013, 02:56:46 pm »
Everybody can decide for himself if to buy from the dealer with warranty/guarantee on various items. Once you are prepared to do that, you know that you pay a premium. But you also know that they will look after you.

If you want to go the cheaper option, beware of the potential consequences. It's simple. Telaviv.

Waiting, waiting for my FD to pack in....so far only 317.000 klicks......nothing, nix, fokol. :ricky:

See what I mean?? With the sort of BMW quality control that give one guy 20 000KMS on his FD, another 40 000 and yet another 317 000KMS!!?? No, zero, nix consistency there.

Offline BliknÍrs

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2013, 03:02:00 pm »
Guys I can't hold it in any longer.
Is it really a diff, I thought diffs was for cars with 2 rear wheels? ??? ??? ???
Just a yes or no, I really want to know.