Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH BMW - PLEASE READ GS/GSA OWNERS  (Read 7572 times)

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
Re: VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH BMW - PLEASE READ GS/GSA OWNERS
« Reply #140 on: May 15, 2013, 06:35:36 am »
On the BMW diff, there is no external wheel bearing - the hub bolts directly onto the hub carrier, the rest stays on the diff like the brake disc etc etc, so I miss the point.
However thankfully this is a forum that has people wanting to listen to advice that has some bearing (pardon  the pun!)
They will take the time out to investigate a suggestion from someone who rode off-road in Portugal with the two people that designed and built the 1200GS, ran a BMW dealership and have been to Germany several times to train with Liqui Moly, Wilbers and Wunderlich including two trips to the BMW factory. No I am not a 'know-it-all' but am lucky enough to have had some experience with these things first-hand and not hearsay off the web.
But back to the diff, the Liqui Moly LS 75W140 is that good because it was designed specifically for limited slips diffs and high performance crown wheel and pinion applications,  not some general purpose gear oil. It's sheer factor is the highest in  class and I had the oil that came out of the diff on the Adventure i wrote off last year. Zero breakdown in viscosity, I mean zero and no trace of gear wear by way of evidence of iron filings, lekker hey! A lot of the BMW factory boys that ride also use this in their personal bikes, it is interesting what you learn at places like the AutoMechanika fair in Germany!
That is on a bike that got the snot ridden out of it on track days, off-road, long distance high speed and with 38 000 Kms on it. Hey as they saying goes if BK can't break it - it should be allright (not my words)
Just by the by, I am not even a distributor for Liqui Moly anymore (gave it up to spend proper time with Wilbers) so these statements aren't for financial gain, I just believe it to be the best lube in the universe. 
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Importers for WILBERS Suspension AG, TFX Suspension, HAGON Shocks UK, WUNDERLICH for your BMW!
Agents for: HYPERPRO, BiTUBO, OHLINS, RACE-TECH, K-TECH

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #141 on: May 15, 2013, 10:40:16 am »
On the BMW diff, there is no external wheel bearing - the hub bolts directly onto the hub carrier, the rest stays on the diff like the brake disc etc etc, so I miss the point.
However thankfully this is a forum that has people wanting to listen to advice that has some bearing (pardon  the pun!)
They will take the time out to investigate a suggestion from someone who rode off-road in Portugal with the two people that designed and built the 1200GS, ran a BMW dealership and have been to Germany several times to train with Liqui Moly, Wilbers and Wunderlich including two trips to the BMW factory. No I am not a 'know-it-all' but am lucky enough to have had some experience with these things first-hand and not hearsay off the web.
But back to the diff, the Liqui Moly LS 75W140 is that good because it was designed specifically for limited slips diffs and high performance crown wheel and pinion applications,  not some general purpose gear oil. It's sheer factor is the highest in  class and I had the oil that came out of the diff on the Adventure i wrote off last year. Zero breakdown in viscosity, I mean zero and no trace of gear wear by way of evidence of iron filings, lekker hey! A lot of the BMW factory boys that ride also use this in their personal bikes, it is interesting what you learn at places like the AutoMechanika fair in Germany!
That is on a bike that got the snot ridden out of it on track days, off-road, long distance high speed and with 38 000 Kms on it. Hey as they saying goes if BK can't break it - it should be allright (not my words)
Just by the by, I am not even a distributor for Liqui Moly anymore (gave it up to spend proper time with Wilbers) so these statements aren't for financial gain, I just believe it to be the best lube in the universe. 

sorry i dont own a 1200gs or any bike that has a shaft so i dont know the terms

bearing, flange, or whatever it is called

from everything i have read/heard play on this thing

destroys the final drive in due course

but that is what i read on the interwebs - so dont trust it  :-[

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 03:23:03 pm by the_BOBNOB »

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #142 on: May 15, 2013, 11:55:05 am »
Put in Liqui Moly 75w140 LS Fully Synthetic oil with the Liqui Moly Gear Oil Additive and you will never have a diff problem ever, easy really!

So you can have a busted wheel bearing that causes play and Liqui Moly will protect the diff from that ???

Sounds to good to be true  ::)

It must be true. The BK said so.  :deal:

Offline Linde2013

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #143 on: May 15, 2013, 03:20:08 pm »

Thanks for the advice!! Will give it a try!!

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2013, 05:05:17 pm »
Put in Liqui Moly 75w140 LS Fully Synthetic oil with the Liqui Moly Gear Oil Additive and you will never have a diff problem ever, easy really!

So you can have a busted wheel bearing that causes play and Liqui Moly will protect the diff from that ???

Sounds to good to be true  ::)

It must be true. The BK said so.  :deal:

What he said  :imaposer: :ricky:
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Importers for WILBERS Suspension AG, TFX Suspension, HAGON Shocks UK, WUNDERLICH for your BMW!
Agents for: HYPERPRO, BiTUBO, OHLINS, RACE-TECH, K-TECH

Offline TheBear

« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2013, 12:16:34 pm »
you just admitted on here that your wife rides more km's than you ........... 

Not true.  No such admitance at all. 
#33 #BRADICAL!