Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Crater  (Read 2095 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
The Crater
« on: May 14, 2006, 08:36:36 pm »
Not withstanding Krazy's rock damage and Baldy's KLR damage it was a very enjoyable ride. Lots of new faces, I think we were 16 people in total but I may be wrong. Within the firts couple of km's some guys got lost  :lol:

The ride started at the Wimpy with freezing temps to be had. On my way to Harties my fingers and face was freezing, damn it was cold. I'm not usually a coffee drinker but I had to get something warm  :shock:

Shark led the way towards Brits and from there we took a couple of shortcuts with dirt sections. Waiting for the second group to arrive

It was not far until we reached the first long dirt stretch, it consisted of some good dirt mixed with some sandy patches which made life interesting. A little wiggle here and there, it's all good and alot of fun !

My latest Frankenstein conversion. KTM headlight with a Hella squeezed on top for good measure. I like this setup, lite but bright  8)

The dirt was pretty much top gear stuff, easy to sit at 90 - 100 km/h. The terrain was bushveld type. As mentioned before some parts we rode through De Wildt where some guys had fun on their enduro/mx and quad bikes. Looked like fun tracks, would like to try it someday. I marked a few of the cool spots on my GPS for future reference. Some of these roads went through townships and this is where Krazy's KTM came face to face with a rock thrown by a local villiage idiot  :evil:

Eventually we reached the crater, some info on it -

"Some 220 000 years ago a blazing stony meteorite the size of half a football field slammed into the earth?s crust.   The impact formed a huge crater, 1,4 km in diameter and 200 m deep.  

This crater, known as the Pretoria Saltpan (or Zoutpan), is situated 40 km north to the northwest of Pretoria.  It is one of the best-preserved meteorite impact craters anywhere in the world.
"

I think they must have hit record attendences on the day as all of us stood in line and payed our R15. Riding into the crater was quite an experience, nice to see the crater close up. As we were riding down Baldy hit a trence that ran across the trail and went down. Not a high speed crash so luckily he and the bike was ok.

Louis jnr (Wian) posing with dad's bike after stopping to help Baldy

The road into the crater

At the bottom there were some more soft sand and the KLR went down for a second time, the clutch lever snapped right at the pivot point  :shock: Note to everyone, bring spare levers or as Wino said, don't fall  :D

Bosberaad to discuss ways of getting the KLR back to the main entrance

Luckily KLR rider of note, Shark said he would ride it up out of the crater where Baldy arranged with a friend to bring a bakkie to fetch him and his bike. Hope to see the KLR back on the trail soon Baldy !

A couple of pics of the crater

The road coming down into it

Then it was time to go, everyone made their way towards the main entrance

And a final shot before heading home

All in all a great days ride, thanks Shark for the route and everyone who was there  :thumbright:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
    • Mediro Business Service Management
The Crater
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 09:24:59 pm »
So we all met up at the Wimpy in Harties, DAM it was cold, which saw all and sundry consuming lots of nice hot coffee and breakfast was enjoyed. What a great turn out, 18 bikes to start with and to young men joining dad (so nice to see the young ones being trained in the enjoyment of DS riding from an early age)..

The Wimpy before we got going.

Getting ready to go, what a great turn-out.

Our first stop after getting lost and trying out some awesome 4-wheeler tracks in the process. This is just before the real dirt riding started.

How appropriate is this, Adventurer has a Wild Dog permanently attached to the handlebars of the GS, awesome.

Two of the junior members of the party, enjoying DS riding with dad.

A smoke-break just before a short tar section close to the Crater.

Thanks first must go the Shark for arranging for us to be able to ride to the bottom of the crater instead of walking. I would probably not have gone if we had to walk the 1.7km?s to the crater.

My baby at the bottom in her natural habitat.

The 2 GS?s (mine and Adventurer?s looking as a GS should look)

Some of the guys decided to stop as we got to the bottom (camera on full zoom), some of us went around the crater to another spot.

There was a sand walkway out into the water in the center of the crater, a view looking back at where the bikes are parked. Man it was nice to be there, the place is beautiful.

Some of the guys chatting bikes and DS riding while in the bottom of the crater.

Once again everyone, thanks for an awesome ride. Sorry to Krazy and Baldy for the misshaps. Hope to see you guys on a trip shortly.

I think we are going to have to start limiting size of trips, 18 was a bit much IMO, we need to think about maybe splitting the group into 2 leaving 10 or 15 minutes apart but ending at the same destination. Also people need to get used to waiting for the person behind them before continuing on the road, this can save a lot of time?.

All in all a GR8 ride. Thanks again everyone!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 10:44:57 am by funacide »
KTM 890 ADV R

Offline FortyZA

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
The Crater
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 07:47:15 am »
Quote from: "FortyZA"
:D On behalf of Voelvry, I would just like to say that that the bunch of guys that met at the Wimpy on a very chilly Saturday morning, were very enjoyable and friendly bunch of people who enjoy riding bikes.

I joined them and we took the road off North and rode both tar and gravel, gravel highways with very loose sand in patches, however, everyone enjoyed the route. Once we turned and headed South, things became different.  Things to remember on this route are keeping an eye out for H and G (Houts and Gouts).  These ranged from mobile traffic lights to dangerous stone throwing little buggers who hurl rock at the bikes (damaging bikes). Otherwise, everyone enjoyed the route, the crater was outstanding, being able to ride our bikes down to the base of the crater.  It was however, with a small incident but nothing to mention and the persons who I talked too, were amazed at the beauty of this meteor crater.  It is hard to believe that a rock, no bigger than 50m wide did so much damage millions of years ago and the damage is still there for all to see.

Sorry, I have no pictures as I forgot to pack in a camera, but thanks again to everyone who attended. It was nice to put a face to some of the names on the site, Funacide, Wino, Krazy-Eyes, Grootseun, DigitalDan and so on.  

Keep on riding  :P
Eddie :P

This in a copy of what was posted after our trip on the planning forum.

Funacide wrote:
I think we are going to have to start limiting size of trips, 18 was a bit much IMO, we need to think about maybe splitting the group into 2 leaving 10 or 15 minutes apart but ending at the same destination. Also people need to get used to waiting for the person behind them before continuing on the road, this can save a lot of time?.

I tend to think that he has the correct opinion as a group that is too large makes the logistics more difficult and time spent waiting for riders could be spent making arrangements at the destination.  This should assist the group behind getting into the end venue or area being visited.

All in all, I think it was a great ride and I enjoyed it immesely and look forward to the next planned trip which I can attend.

Cheers to Shark for a great route

Regards
Eddie
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline Grootseun

The Crater
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:34:43 am »
All i can really add, is thanx to shark for being the fearless leader on our crater trip.
IMO the group was not too big, if one sticks to the rule of keeping the guy behind you in your mirror everything should be fine. I do however understand that the more experiened riders that average more than 80/90 on the dirt get a bit frustrated waiting for the slower riders. So yes, i think splitting the group into two might be a good idea...experienced go first.. and the less experienced go second.

The sandy patches was fun... it realy keeps one awake on the long dirt highways we traveled.

It was good meeting some new forum members.

Keep on keeping on.

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
The Crater
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 09:35:32 am »
hey! i'm not slow, i merely stopped to take in the scenery and let the dust settle  8)

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
The Crater
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 10:10:31 am »
Nice trip guys!

Bad luck on the damage Krazy. :cry:  Sad and shocking that such things happens. :shock:  :evil:

Baldy. Also not nice to get damage when going down but such things happens. Sometimes you are lucky and other not. I've been lucky so far (damages).

16-18 Forum members! Nice going!
He who angers you, controls you.

shark_za

The Crater
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 10:37:36 am »
All things considered (sorry k-e and baldy) it was a success of a day.

18 bikes met at the wimpy and it was something like this

5x KLR 650's
3x 1150 GS Adv's
3x 1200 GS's
2x Honda Transalps
2x BMW F650 GS
2x 950 KTM
1x Suzuki DRZ400

Makes me happy to see the mix of bikes, and happier to see the KLR's coming out the woodwork :)

Some of the roads had been recently graded and this allowed us to travel at good speed, the soft sand sections were nice, I found myself riding into them just for fun.

Do any of the people remember riding down this road?
Sheesh it dried up properly since we rode there last.

As for being too many, it would be fine if we waited for the guys behind, I could always see Eddie in my mirrors.. so I was ok...

Next time its a bigger group with a set course, we will get a few people with GPS's to lead and sweep. I actually enjoyed riding at the back in the end.

Thanks to Kim for riding me back down into the crater on the Adv, I didnt feel worried for one second.

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
The Crater
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 10:49:18 am »
i'm over it. the damage pissed me off then, but as they say "you'll look back and laugh"
it still was an awseome ride and i'd do it again.

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
The Crater
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 11:41:08 am »
an amazing group, and apart from the 2 small mishaps, rather fun-filled  :D  :D
another solution with larger groups is to let the inexperienced ride out an hour earlier (depending on distance of course) so that maybe all arrive more or less the same time.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
The Crater
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 12:15:21 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"
18 bikes met at the wimpy and it was something like this

5x KLR 650's
3x 1150 GS Adv's
3x 1200 GS's
2x Honda Transalps
2x BMW F650 GS
2x 950 KTM
1x Suzuki DRZ400

Makes me happy to see the mix of bikes, and happier to see the KLR's coming out the woodwork :)

Makes me unhappy to see that the GSV was not there.

Welshie   :evil: 8)
Putting the Drunken Pagan Debauchery back into Christmas.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
The Crater
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 01:57:55 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"

Some of the roads had been recently graded and this allowed us to travel at good speed, the soft sand sections were nice, I found myself riding into them just for fun.

What's the verdict on the new tyres?
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Gerhard

• Pack Dog
Crater Ride
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 02:22:16 pm »
Sharkey - thanks for your effort put into the ride saturday. Had meself a ball of a time! Wish we could have gone on to the rock but that we will hopefully do in the very near future! As my first ride with guys I havent met before, there was some good interaction. And a mine of walking info on riding, trips, kit knowledge, etc. Wish we could have made a longer ride and sleeping over somewher to get to know the other riders better - and tapping some of their know-how!
Re the comments on splitting the big groups - I concur on that idea. Some of the riders went like a bat out of hell but - in my case - some of the riders got caught between traffic and goat herds and lost the fast riders. So yes, split the group, can only contribute to safer and better riding.
By the way, when is the next ride? I am moving this weekend but June is there and July and.......
LR 650 - the best by far

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
The Crater
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 02:41:18 pm »
tx to everyone who did the trip! looking forward to the next one!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
The Crater
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 04:42:25 pm »
Thanks to all, especially Shark, for the lekker run to the crater. It was a bonus to be able to ride into the crater, I visited the crater 2 weeks before, and only got to see it from the top, also an amazing sight, but better from inside.
I am not one for riding in such large groups, but apart from a few mishaps, the ride was great.
Things I have learnt over the years, everyone should be fuelled and ready to leave at the prescribed time,a big group could be split up into smaller groups, with at least one person in each group with a gps and a fair amount of riding skill. At each turning a person stops until the next person arrives, he then leaves and the last person to arrive waits for the next rider, this worked very well once it started happening, regular breaks, under very dusty conditions, ever 50 km or so, this we also did on this ride which worked well.
The spirit I experienced on this ride was tremendous, and I look forward to riding with everyone again.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
The Crater
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 04:54:58 pm »
Shark too much FMX for you, is that a "lazy boy" done on a KLR  :lol:

Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

shark_za

The Crater
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 07:24:27 pm »
Dont want to get too much air, the suspension cant handle the landings ;o)

xtreme

Introduction and crater ride
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 10:15:37 am »
Just to introduce myself and say thanks for a great ride. the 3 off us that is me, Gerhard-KLR and Eduan 1200gs left for Cullinan and took a very dusty road towards Cullinan we took the road to Kwa-Mhalangu, through Mamelodi and ended it with a bear or two at Riverside Mixer.

Thank again and hope to see everybody soon.

PS: My offer too host the site still stand - talk to me
 :D

Offline bud500

• RIP dear friend
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
The Crater
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 04:03:53 pm »
Looks like a fun trip.

BTW, if you plan to do technical stuff where you might fall over, consider drilling a small hole about 25mm from the end of each lever. That way if you do fall the lever will break on the weakened spot and you will have some lever left to ride with.
Live like someone left the gate open.