Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW 800GS or BMW 1200GSA??  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Draadwerk

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
Re: BMW 800GS or BMW 1200GSA??
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 05:02:53 pm »
Incidentally I saw this just now. Take a look

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=123858

Offline luv2ride

• Strand brak
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Strand brak
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 05:05:58 pm »
 All of the above is relevant. Only you can choose. You may get it right, or you will eventually wish you made a different choice.  I moved from the 1200 to a 800 because the 800 ticked more of the boxes for me

Maintenance cost - chalk and cheese. The 800 is far cheaper to run

BMW S1000XR and BMW R1200R
BMW F800GS - sold, Honda NC700X -Sold; BMW1150GSA -sold
BMW F650 twin - sold
BMW F800ST - in bike heaven Kawasaki KLR 650 - sold Kawasaki ER6F -sold Yamaha FZ6 - sold BMW 1200GS - sold BMW 650 Dakar - sold Yamaha XJ750 - stolen Honda MT5 - given away as scrap

Offline Skip_ZA

• "Shake and Bake"
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2013, 09:45:00 am »
Thanks for all the replies guys....

Much apreciated  ;D

Will have to abit more thinking.  :ricky:

Sounds like i wont make a mistake going for either one in the end!!
 :laughing4:
Gelšnde Strasse!!!

Growing Old is Mandatory - BUT Growing UP is Optional

Offline Skip_ZA

• "Shake and Bake"
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 09:49:11 am »
whoops... double posting.

My bad.  O0
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:50:20 am by Skip_ZA »
Gelšnde Strasse!!!

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 10:04:25 am »
 You are a big guy, and want to do a lot of two up touring. The 800 is all but comfy in the back. Lane splitting on a 1200 is not much different on a 800 if you can ride. How wide is the handle bars on the 800 and how wide on the 1200? Probably the same. You will quickly pick up the rythm on the 1200 in hectic traffic. I am a 800 fan because I love off road and when you need to pick up a 1200 all alone (I love riding solo) it's another story. The 800 is so light although I haven't dropped her yet. The 1200 S10 is a very good option, trust me, I know these bikes!

Offline Skip_ZA

• "Shake and Bake"
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 02:38:34 pm »
You are a big guy, and want to do a lot of two up touring. The 800 is all but comfy in the back. Lane splitting on a 1200 is not much different on a 800 if you can ride. How wide is the handle bars on the 800 and how wide on the 1200? Probably the same. You will quickly pick up the rythm on the 1200 in hectic traffic. I am a 800 fan because I love off road and when you need to pick up a 1200 all alone (I love riding solo) it's another story. The 800 is so light although I haven't dropped her yet. The 1200 S10 is a very good option, trust me, I know these bikes!

I hear you...

So what is your opinion about the S10 then. I quite like Yamaha as well, but do they offer the same assistance (roadside, financial and warranty's) as BMW does on their bikes?

Gelšnde Strasse!!!

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 02:45:45 pm »

I hear you...

So what is your opinion about the S10 then. I quite like Yamaha as well, but do they offer the same assistance (roadside, financial and warranty's) as BMW does on their bikes?

If you looking at other brands then consider the Triumph Explorer
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Skip_ZA

• "Shake and Bake"
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 03:16:03 pm »

I hear you...

If you looking at other brands then consider the Triumph Explorer

Love the look of the Truimph Explorer, but...

From what ive seen is the Truimph is abit expensive, maintenance costs and extras (farkels etc) are hard to find.  :pot:
Gelšnde Strasse!!!

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 07:40:53 am »
Thats why personally I would stick to BMW, spares available just about anywhere in the country, just about every dorpie has a BMW dealership, with the other brands I am not so sure. I know even for my Suzuki RMZ450 even the big dealerships in Jhb most of the time dont have spares and have to order which takes 3 days minimum most of the time.

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Stofdonkie

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 07:46:09 am »
1150 and XR/XT.
Carpe BM.

Offline weskus

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 07:52:25 am »
I would say the 800, but then again, that's just me, the big pig is heavy china... :deal:
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline Skip_ZA

• "Shake and Bake"
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 08:15:55 am »
Problem is if i choose a bike, thats gonna be it..

Seeing as the market is slow (and even slower as its winter) if i have to change the bike i chose, its gonna be a struggle.

Eish...

Im leaning towards the GSA, it ticks alot of boxes for me.
Gelšnde Strasse!!!

Offline Slingervel

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 10:54:51 am »

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 10:58:51 am »

Seeing as the market is slow (and even slower as its winter) if i have to change the bike i chose, its gonna be a struggle.

Eish...

If you lean towards the GSA you got to listen to your heart. Awesome bilke and best service but it comes at a price. S10 I would say might win you over if you do test ride them back to back, also heavy but feels lighter and the way it makes it's power is so users friendly especially in the rough stuff like the last 2km up Sani pass. However, no secondhand spares available like with BMW and not all dealers 'up there' with service and backup. Maybe resale value also not the same as beemer but you got to make that decition. If I am ever in the 1200 market again I will go for S10. Main thing; listen to your heart

Offline Skip_ZA

• "Shake and Bake"
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 11:42:20 am »

Eish...

If you lean towards the GSA you got to listen to your heart. Awesome bilke and best service but it comes at a price. S10 I would say might win you over if you do test ride them back to back, also heavy but feels lighter and the way it makes it's power is so users friendly especially in the rough stuff like the last 2km up Sani pass. However, no secondhand spares available like with BMW and not all dealers 'up there' with service and backup. Maybe resale value also not the same as beemer but you got to make that decition. If I am ever in the 1200 market again I will go for S10. Main thing; listen to your heart

I quite like the S10, im a Yamaha fan! But the things that you mention are importatn, 24hrs roadside assist (yamaha doesnt have that), Delaership Network (Yamaha Doesnt have that), Aftermarket Extras (yamaha doesnt have that).... I love the look of the S10, but there are these issues that are saying to me  :patch:.
Also i heard from someone that part adn servicing on Yamah especially the S10 is more expensive than GSA??  ???

SO i dont know...

Another problem is my learners has expired!!  >:( So im writing a new test in June, and i can only purchase after that... so i cant even test ride anything!!!  :xxbah:

eish  :dousing:
Gelšnde Strasse!!!

Offline Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 11:48:54 am »

Eish...

I quite like the S10, im a Yamaha fan! But the things that you mention are importatn, 24hrs roadside assist (yamaha doesnt have that), Delaership Network (Yamaha Doesnt have that), Aftermarket Extras (yamaha doesnt have that).... I love the look of the S10, but there are these issues that are saying to me  :patch:.
Also i heard from someone that part adn servicing on Yamah especially the S10 is more expensive than GSA??  ???

SO i dont know...

Another problem is my learners has expired!!  >:( So im writing a new test in June, and i can only purchase after that... so i cant even test ride anything!!!  :xxbah:

eish  :dousing:

I love teh S10 too, but those reasons mentioned there are what keeps me away from it

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Man On Fire!

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shalom
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 11:51:46 am »
i agree with DWERG to go and test ride the bike yourself and have a look at the bikes.

get what YOU want and don't settle as you will be riding it often ....if not you will ride less!
Aka - CHEF!

"food is not just to fill one's belly.....it's for fullfillment too!"

Offline Skip_ZA

• "Shake and Bake"
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 08:32:56 am »
So i went to BMW Bavaria on Saturday... to fuel my obsession with owning a BMW GS  :drif:

Man all me and the Wife could do there is  :drif: :o :drif: :o :drif: :drif: :drif:

Cant wait to get stuck in to it. Now if only i could do my learners quicker and buy a BMW!!!  :'(

Gelšnde Strasse!!!

Offline Christian Kuun

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 08:44:45 am »
And....so? Did you get it and what did you get?

I have always found that "goedkoop koop is duur koop", and then I am NOT purely talking price only. For example, as a schoolboy, I always dreamed of owning a diesel Cruiser bakkie (or pickup for the pedantic). It never made the most sense because of finances then, family now etc. BUT I will not rest until I own one. Point being that the heart is powerful and if, deep-down inside, you really want the GSA, you will never really be happy. You will cope and live with whatever, but you wont be completely happy. So, get your butt on the respective bikes and I promise you, you will know immediately which one is for you, whether it be by comfort or prejudice it doesn't matter, but you will know.

There are so many bikes that make more financial sense than a bloody GSA, but I have always wanted a GSA. Not another more sensible bike, A GSA, KLAAR!!!!!
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline Skip_ZA

• "Shake and Bake"
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 08:50:33 am »
And....so? Did you get it and what did you get?

I have always found that "goedkoop koop is duur koop", and then I am NOT purely talking price only. For example, as a schoolboy, I always dreamed of owning a diesel Cruiser bakkie (or pickup for the pedantic). It never made the most sense because of finances then, family now etc. BUT I will not rest until I own one. Point being that the heart is powerful and if, deep-down inside, you really want the GSA, you will never really be happy. You will cope and live with whatever, but you wont be completely happy. So, get your butt on the respective bikes and I promise you, you will know immediately which one is for you, whether it be by comfort or prejudice it doesn't matter, but you will know.

There are so many bikes that make more financial sense than a bloody GSA, but I have always wanted a GSA. Not another more sensible bike, A GSA, KLAAR!!!!!

Bought the GSA!! And don't regret it for a minute so Far...  :thumleft:
Gelšnde Strasse!!!