Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW 800GS or BMW 1200GSA??  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Christian Kuun

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Wynkop Kuun- Onder die Wyntenk in Stellies
    • My Web Album
Re: BMW 800GS or BMW 1200GSA??
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 09:18:28 am »
Mooi man  :thumleft: Congrats, and I am jealous!
Mampoer could solve all Africa's problems....

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 08:17:32 pm »
And....so? Did you get it and what did you get?

I have always found that "goedkoop koop is duur koop", and then I am NOT purely talking price only. For example, as a schoolboy, I always dreamed of owning a diesel Cruiser bakkie (or pickup for the pedantic). It never made the most sense because of finances then, family now etc. BUT I will not rest until I own one. Point being that the heart is powerful and if, deep-down inside, you really want the GSA, you will never really be happy. You will cope and live with whatever, but you wont be completely happy. So, get your butt on the respective bikes and I promise you, you will know immediately which one is for you, whether it be by comfort or prejudice it doesn't matter, but you will know.

There are so many bikes that make more financial sense than a bloody GSA, but I have always wanted a GSA. Not another more sensible bike, A GSA, KLAAR!!!!!

Wanted a 650 DAKAR and got a 2000 RED 650 GS. 1200's came out and wanted a GSA. Bought a 07 yellow 1200 GS, loved it but still had the GSA itch. Decided to sell my GS only if i got my price. Did and bought an 09 GSA. As happy as a pig in shit.

Congrats on your buy. She looks a beaut!! Many happy and safe miles!!!

Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!

Offline Skip_ZA

• "Shake and Bake"
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2013, 08:03:25 am »
And....so? Did you get it and what did you get?

I have always found that "goedkoop koop is duur koop", and then I am NOT purely talking price only. For example, as a schoolboy, I always dreamed of owning a diesel Cruiser bakkie (or pickup for the pedantic). It never made the most sense because of finances then, family now etc. BUT I will not rest until I own one. Point being that the heart is powerful and if, deep-down inside, you really want the GSA, you will never really be happy. You will cope and live with whatever, but you wont be completely happy. So, get your butt on the respective bikes and I promise you, you will know immediately which one is for you, whether it be by comfort or prejudice it doesn't matter, but you will know.

There are so many bikes that make more financial sense than a bloody GSA, but I have always wanted a GSA. Not another more sensible bike, A GSA, KLAAR!!!!!

Wanted a 650 DAKAR and got a 2000 RED 650 GS. 1200's came out and wanted a GSA. Bought a 07 yellow 1200 GS, loved it but still had the GSA itch. Decided to sell my GS only if i got my price. Did and bought an 09 GSA. As happy as a pig in shit.

Congrats on your buy. She looks a beaut!! Many happy and safe miles!!!

Thanks, same there...  :thumleft:
Gelände Strasse!!!

Growing Old is Mandatory - BUT Growing UP is Optional

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 09:54:48 am »
That was now interesting to read. I'm considering a bigger touring bike again, even though I love my 660 Z, which I ride 90% of the time alone. Its a good compromise and we tour OK on it. A bit more power would have been nice though.  :biggrin:

Had a GSA before, and Wify would take it any day again (so would I), but its so bloody BIG and the main reason at the time I swapped for the XT. It just stood in the garage and was only used mostly when we rode together. I found it difficult to justify that.

So also been thinking 800GS. EISH ! The head v the heart.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 09:58:15 am »
I have pretty much settled on the F800GSA, my head still keeps saying 1200GSA, for long distance and 2 up its just so much nicer. but for the amoutn of times I will be doing that versus daily commuting and alone trips, the 800GSA it will be, also the gf is a small lady, it helps  :deal:
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 10:03:22 am »
My wife is happy on the XT, but much happier on the GSA. To put my choice in perspective... if the XT had a 700cc parallel twin, 45kw motor I would not even have been considering this question. Its a truly great bike and handles two up on dirt, and open road, with ease, but you have to use the enjin and it does load that sSingle a bit.

So my thinking is I would get much of a muchness in use with a 800GS as I have now, with that bit more power and space.

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 10:05:54 am »
My wife is happy on the XT, but much happier on the GSA. To put my choice in perspective... if the XT had a 700cc parallel twin, 45kw motor I would not even have been considering this question. Its a truly great bike and handles two up on dirt, and open road, with ease, but you have to use the enjin and it does load that sSingle a bit.

So my thinking is I would get much of a muchness in use with a 800GS as I have now, with that bit more power and space.

Normal GS only? Not GSA?

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 10:11:23 am »

Normal GS only? Not GSA?

Economics. Would love to consider the GSA. Have two friends that have them and the rave about it. They come from GSA's, HPs's, 660 Z etc.

With a daughter getting married, a son at varsity and another daughter at school... limits the budget a bit  :biggrin:

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2013, 10:12:22 am »

Normal GS only? Not GSA?

Economics. Would love to consider the GSA. Have two friends that have them and the rave about it. They come from GSA's, HPs's, 660 Z etc.

With a daughter getting married, a son at varsity and another daughter at school... limits the budget a bit  :biggrin:

You need to watch TV more.... but I hear you

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 10:15:04 am »

Normal GS only? Not GSA?

You need to watch TV more.... but I hear you

That was our younger days... we could not afford TV back then  :imaposer: Now I can't afford all the kids as a result of that... and feed my passion  :biggrin:

Offline XTZFegen

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Audere Est Facere
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2013, 12:45:45 pm »

Normal GS only? Not GSA?

Elbola for the daughter, the lightie must take care of himself and school fee's can be paid next year...go buy another bike Jups, you know you want to  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:
Oh when the Spurs, go marching in, oh when the Spurs go marching in, oh Lord I want to be in that number, oh when the Spurs go marching in.

Come on you Spurs.

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2013, 01:04:52 pm »

Normal GS only? Not GSA?

Elbola for the daughter, the lightie must take care of himself and school fee's can be paid next year...go buy another bike Jups, you know you want to  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Always  :biggrin: Its now almost two years and the itch is getting real bad.  :imaposer:

Offline Skip_ZA

• "Shake and Bake"
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2013, 07:37:29 am »
Glad to see my Thread could help you here Jupiter.

For the Price of the 800GSA, you might as well buy a 2011 1200GSA fullt kitted for the same price...

I took a test ride on the F800GS after i bought my 1200GSA and its apples and pears for me.

The GSA is so much smoother and easier to handle for me the 800 felt small (for obvious reasons).

I also commute allot and it makes sense rather to have the 800, and my concerns of the GSA in traffic were unfounded, it is quite easy to ride the beast in between cars and the extra power on tap could save you life one day.

Head vs Heart is always difficult. I am a guy who likes to think with my head rather than the heart, so the GSA in the end made alot more sense to me.

I do 90% tar and 10% gravel, and about once or twice a month wifey is on the back and we do off-roading together with the BMW club.

Good luck with the decision likely a budget can also make you mind up for you!
Gelände Strasse!!!

Growing Old is Mandatory - BUT Growing UP is Optional

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2013, 05:28:50 pm »
Still loving my GSA although off road the 1200 GS was lighter for me and easier to handle! Give it time and more off road riding and I will be there!

Touring as a long distance tourer and Km eater there is very few that will compete!
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!