BMW 800GS or BMW 1200GSA??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip_ZA

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi Guys.. ;D

I have introduced myself on the forum a couple of months ago and have read countless threads and looked at the “for sale” section here...

But i am stumped on whether I should buy a 800 GS or a 1200 GSA.  :sip:

They offer different type of riding, but I’m not sure which is best suited for me.

Some background, I have never rode on a Bike the size of these mentioned ones. My daily commuter is a suuuped up BWS 101cc 2 stroke Yamaha Scooter.

P.s. Im not big on doing 200km/h on a bike, but also no granny. The BWS can only do 120km/h so that’s max for me at this stage.  :lol8:

My idea that I have in purchasing this bike is, this will be for:
1. Work Vehicle – Daily Commuter, Business Trips etc.
2. Ride with friends (some gravel roads not too much technical stuff)
3. Weekend Trips with the wife (2up riding) to like Sabie, Freestate, Cape etc… touring basically.

My understanding and concerns on the above on each bike is:

800 GS:
1. Will work well for work an back, smaller and more nimble than 1200 even with panniers
2. This will work well, lighter and more manoeuvrable when riding alone.
3. This is my main concern, my wife and I are the taller versions of South Africans
a. I’m 1.9m 96kg and my wife 1.87m around 80(odd)kg
(I can’t say here real weight I’ll get shot!)

My questions are: ???
Would a weekend Touring trip be do-able on the 800GS fully loaded with panniers etc?
Or would the 800 struggle with the weight of Us and the other essentials?

My understanding and concerns on the above on each bike is:

1200 GSA:
1. Will struggle in the traffic because of its size and weight. The traffic down Atterbury road in Pretoria is quite hectic, and lane-splitting is tight! I have come across many a 1200GS that struggles to do more than 20km/h because space is tight through traffic.
2. This will work ok but not as good as the 800GS, but I reckon I could handle the same gravel roads on the GSA when riding alone.
3. This is where the 1200GSA trumps the 800GS, as weekend touring would be awesome on the 1200GSA. Even fully loaded with everything 2up.

My questions are: ???
Would the 1200GSA be worth it if I can’t lane split as easy? Fear of accident/safety and damage to other vehicles – insurance goes up.
Lane splitting is essential, no help you have a motorcycle and you still stuck in traffic!
Would the extra money be well spent in terms of the 1200GSA to the 800GS??

I’m looking at purchasing one of these motorcycles in the near future (i.e June) and would like some input from the Dogs that know…

(P.S. Also contemplating the 1200 Super Tenere as an alternative to the GSA… but that’s a whole discussion for another date…)

Thanks in advance!  :ricky:

Skip_ZA