A ride to the eye

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
Following Ama ride rideâ??s suggestion I posted my intentions to ride to Groot Marico on Sunday, but with the toy run happening on the same day I was not really expecting any takers. It was thus pleasantly surprised when Renier said that he wanted to go along as well.

Early Sunday morning I made my way in thick mist to Centurion, met up with Renier and we set off for the tar section to Koster via Harties, Magaliesburg and Derby.

Arriving in Koster I learned a valuable lesson â?? never set the town itself as a waypoint when you map a route because it makes it more difficult to find the correct exit out of town for your route, rather set the waypoint outside the town and on your intended route. So, after getting lost in Koster for a few minutes we managed to locate and re-join the R509 to Swartruggens and a few kmâ??s later found the turnoff to the left where the tar finally ended and the dirt began.

Soon we were on our own in the countryside, cruising easily along and taking in the beautiful surroundings amid blue skies and bright sunshine. It was fortunate that both bikes were off the same size and both riders were comfortable riding along at an easy pace, making the trip even more relaxed and enjoyable.

We passed a number of other intersections with dirt roads snaking away to the horizon, just begging to be explored. Like always, there never seems to be enough hours in a day and we kept going until we came to the Groot Marico turn-off.

The road leading to Groot Marico was undoubtedly the highlight of the trip and is spectacular, constantly rising and falling as it twists its way through the surrounding green hills and rocky outcrops. The road itself, from a riding perspective, captivates and keeps your attention with a mixture of easy and tricky sections. Decide not to pay it the respect it deserves and you will soon find yourself arriving at a tight turn on a downward or upward angle with too much speed and nowhere to go. In fact, I was enjoying this road so much that I clean forgot to stop to take any pictures â?? unbelievable, I know, but true.

On reflection the lack of photos is perhaps a good thing â?? photoâ??s would probably not do the scenery or the road justice and the lack thereof may serve as inspiration for anyone reading this to go there and see it for themselves.

Arriving in the main street (I am hesitant to call such a small place a â??townâ?) we went to the local Bistro, but when the lady frowned upon our request for a light lunch such as a toasted sandwich and instead rambled off some of their obscure and arty interpretations of lunch-time offerings, we declined and only had something to drink. It was the first time ever that I was served a coke in what looks like a giant green and purple wine goblet. Maybe I must just get out more.

We took another route back which leads past the â??Oogâ? and before too long turned into the farm where it is located. One look at the inviting and crystal clear water and we were cursing ourselves for not bringing any swimming kit along. You pay dearly for the privilege though â?? R10.00 to go and have a stare and R30.00 for a swim. Seems the farmer is a hard-nosed businessman and not your typical â??Oom Koos van die plaasâ?.

First, however, a few mug shots and some photoâ??s of the bikes. I am the one with the out of control stomach (Captain Slow â?? if you are reading this â?? visual evidence of why I ride on such stiff suspension settings and why my KLRâ??s top end is so low).

Renier has made quite a few nice modifications to his bike of which the twin Penta exhaust looks and sounds the best. Note also his lekker Givi tobox and, in true KLR fashion, my interpretation thereof â?? the plastic box which normally houses my drill, but which on this trip contains the tire repair kit. 

A few ladies guarding the entrance to the â??Oogâ? scarcely able to conceal their excitement and nervous anticipation at the thought of two handsome wild dogs approaching.

Be a â??gentlemanâ? â?? is there still such a species?

The clarity of the water is amazing.

My attempt at a arty photo.

Came across this in the middle of nowhere â?? proof that the Bosveld is in fact Harley territory?

Saw this just as we came out of the Wimpy in Magaliesburg after having enjoyed a (proper bikerâ??s) meal.

Must take the missus and lightie on it some day. Apparently it runs to Cullinan?

All gleaming copper handles and dials inside. Easy on the Braso brother!

After that we went in search of a petrol station which Renier managed to make with less than half a litre of fuel remaining, before hooking up with the N14 and arriving back in Pretoria around 16.00.

A great dayâ??s riding and thanks to Renier for joining me.