Medical Assistance in Lesotho

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
EDIT *** 24 hr emergency number +266 6396 3437  *** EDIT

Hey all,

As some already know, I am a paramedic stationed at the Letseng Diamond mine in Lesotho. The mine is situated on the A1 road between Sani Pass and Butha Buthe / Caledonspoort.

Many WD's use this road to transverse Lesotho, and especially now with both the snow and icy weather, as well as the construction happening along it, it has become pretty dangerous.

I have received permission from my boss on the mine to respond to motor vehicle incidents along this road in the vicinity of the mine. Basically from Mapholaneng to Oxbow, about 35km in either direction.

So if any Wild Dogs are planning a trip along this road in Lesotho, please contact me and I'll give you my contact number for use in an emergency. Also, if you hear of any bikers (irrespective of WD membership or not) or any other travellers that are in trouble in this area, please let me know so I can try and help them.

I am not too comfortable with giving out my personal cell number on an open forum, but send either a PM with full info (that I will receive on my Black Berry) or contact Sharingroads, IDR or Kilroy, who all have my number and they can call me. Any other WD's that want to get involved in this by offering to assist in contacting me can just PM me or reply here and I will give them my cell number too.

I have cleared this with Kilroy, there will be no charge for any medical assistance from my side, but if I have to get you a chopper, or plane, or if I hand you over to an ambulance from SA to get you out of Lesotho, then of course there will be expenses for your medical aid. If I am off duty and someone calls me, I will call the other paramedic onsite and get him out to you.

Please just be aware that the response times may be a lot longer than you might expect in SA. Before leaving site I will have to inform my boss here and get approval, and then if it is snowing or similar we will have to wait until it stops before heading out too. The mine has very strict rules regarding driving and safety.

Finally, comms out here sometimes do go down, both cellular networks as well as internet. If you can't get hold of me, sorry, then its beyond my control. But if you ask a passer-by to just tell the mine about the incident, then I will also manage to get the info and try and help.

If anyone has any questions or ideas, please let me know!

Gary