Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Long Way Down  (Read 4282 times)

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Long Way Down
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 09:49:33 pm »
Look, this is neither defending one brand, nor bashing another, just my unbiased opinion, honestly. I really think that if the lads had been mounted on KTM's - superior dirt handlers though they may be -  they just wouldn't have been tough enough to go the distance.
It's a case of horses for courses, and those 1150 dreadnoughts were the better horse for that particular course at that time, though even one of them didn't make it. And I would have my doubts about present day 1200's - all plastic and gimmicks.
No, I reckon that had they been on KTM's at the time, then the trip would have had to be completed on three Russian 2-Smokes.  :peepwall:

What the fuck you smoking?? Plenty KTM's out there with big milage on them. You do know that of the three BMW's two of them ended up with cracked frames, and one them never even completed the journey. In all fairness they would have been better off on the KTM's.
But then they would have been fine on Africa Twins.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Copernicus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Crossroads in the dirt.
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 11:24:35 am »
Look, this is neither defending one brand, nor bashing another, just my unbiased opinion, honestly. I really think that if the lads had been mounted on KTM's - superior dirt handlers though they may be -  they just wouldn't have been tough enough to go the distance.
It's a case of horses for courses, and those 1150 dreadnoughts were the better horse for that particular course at that time, though even one of them didn't make it. And I would have my doubts about present day 1200's - all plastic and gimmicks.
No, I reckon that had they been on KTM's at the time, then the trip would have had to be completed on three Russian 2-Smokes.  :peepwall:

What the fuck you smoking?? Plenty KTM's out there with big milage on them. You do know that of the three BMW's two of them ended up with cracked frames, and one them never even completed the journey. In all fairness they would have been better off on the KTM's.
In the end it was not about the bikes - it was about a person who made a choice, right or wrong.  But it definitely yielded results for BMW, something that KTM may have regretted later.  But it is all in the past now.
I started biking as an under achiever and it went downhill from there...

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 11:27:13 am »

How did you measure this?

Any KTM's do the same trip?

I don't really give a shit what bikes they used, I enjoyed watching the DVD's, but the strange opinions voiced about their trips has been more entertaining than the trips themselves  :imaposer:

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 11:32:04 am »
You quite done talking kak now, had a BMW sponsored muffin and late??
My 990 has over 120 000 km's on it, most of it off road, Mark Hardy's 950 has even more on it. Google is your friend, best you do some research on both brands and the issues.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 11:35:03 am »
My 990 has over 120 000 km's on it, most of it off road, Mark Hardy's 950 has even more on it. Google is your friend, best you do some research on both brands and the issues.

Ja maar nie jy of Mark laai 290kg se kak ook nog op die bike nie, laai die ding soos 'n Qua-qua bakkie en doen die trip dan praat ons weer.

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 11:47:32 am »
Ja-nee.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 11:54:38 am »

Offline LDV

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 12:58:47 pm »
Hul gatte sou defenitief seerser gewees het op ktm. Ek kom nou terug van 2 weke trip van elke dag ry. En kani eers op kantoor stoel sit nie

Sent from my iPhone

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 01:02:34 pm »

Ja maar nie jy of Mark laai 290kg se kak ook nog op die bike nie, laai die ding soos 'n Qua-qua bakkie en doen die trip dan praat ons weer.
Luister nou badprop, die punt wat die muffin vreeter gemaak het was oor die myle ...... daai twee het anyway nooit daai kak gelaai of saam gery nie, daar is n X5 en n Nissan Patrol wat saam gery het.
Lees die hele verhaal, moet nie soos iemand wees wat 7de Laan kyk nie.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Stofdonkie

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 01:03:37 pm »

Weld dan aan die frame sonder om die battery te ontkoppel, fry die electrics (alhoewel die bike nog start en ry) en dan 'het die bike dit nie gemaak nie'.

::)
Carpe BM.

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2015, 01:06:13 pm »

Luister nou badprop, die punt wat die muffin vreeter gemaak het was oor die myle ...... daai twee het anyway nooit daai kak gelaai of saam gery nie, daar is n X5 en n Nissan Patrol wat saam gery het.
Dis n lae hou.................................................................wat het jy teen 7de laan kykers? :peepwall: ;)
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2015, 01:09:36 pm »

Dis n lae hou.................................................................wat het jy teen 7de laan kykers? :peepwall: ;)
Niks nie, hulle is soos mense wat Huisgenoot lees, glo alles want dit was op TV of in die Huisgenoot.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2015, 01:14:28 pm »

Jy kan dieselfde myl coffee shop toe en terug 100000 keer ry soos jy, of 100000 keer verskillende myle op kak paaie ry - die eerste een tel nog steeds niks.

Aan die einde van die dag het die BMW's die trip gedoen, met hulle support, muffins en so aan terwyl KTM dit ook maar soos ons almal op tv moes volg en die bikes in die showroom bly staan het :ricky:

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2015, 01:21:12 pm »
Ek sweer die gesprek lyk erg bekend, so asof dit al voorheen afgespeel het.

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2015, 01:44:46 pm »

Definitely not a KTM bash, but I think a word of caution on the KTM would have been so much better, assuming we are talking the 950. The 950 was only launched in 2003 and the LWR was in 2004, it is fine to mention the high mileage 950's but the early models 2003 and 2004 were definitely not without their problems, from head bolts to fuel and water pumps.

There is no way anyone can say how those early model 950's would have done or not done, no matter how good they are once sorted  :thumleft:.   

But I agree on the Africa Twin :biggrin:
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2015, 04:56:49 pm »

Gawd you guys are predictable!!!!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:59:03 pm by Grrrr.... »

Offline Garfield

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2015, 05:06:37 pm »

Gawd you guys are predictable!!!!

True, the "1200GS rider did not greet me" thread is imminent, closely followed by a CoG thread.

Offline Draadwerk

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My job? Just something I do between rides....
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2015, 05:21:19 pm »
This thread is headed for a short way down

Offline Cremaster

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2015, 06:07:43 pm »

Definitely not a KTM bash, but I think a word of caution on the KTM would have been so much better, assuming we are talking the 950. The 950 was only launched in 2003 and the LWR was in 2004, it is fine to mention the high mileage 950's but the early models 2003 and 2004 were definitely not without their problems, from head bolts to fuel and water pumps.

There is no way anyone can say how those early model 950's would have done or not done, no matter how good they are once sorted  :thumleft:.   

Yeah the early LC8s had their known teething issues: http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html

I am still amazed by the perceived (assumptions of note) reliability differences between KTM and BMW. Both brands manufacture highly reliable motorcycles.

However:
I had problems with my former 2006 R1200GS: complete shaft crown failure.
I had problems with my former 2007 KTM 990 Adventure: sticky gearbox due to a little part that was abnormally worn...
And that's it. Both dealers handled the issues very professionally and was under warranty.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2015, 06:27:18 pm »

There is no way anyone can say how those early model 950's would have done or not done, no matter how good they are once sorted  :thumleft:.  

Yeah the early LC8s had their known teething issues: http://www.ktm950.info/how/ktm_950_issues.html

I am still amazed by the perceived (assumptions of note) reliability differences between KTM and BMW. Both brands manufacture highly reliable motorcycles.

However:
I had problems with my former 2006 R1200GS: complete shaft crown failure.
I had problems with my former 2007 KTM 990 Adventure: sticky gearbox due to a little part that was abnormally worn...
And that's it. Both dealers handled the issues very professionally and was under warranty.

Ag k@k man! Don't come here wiff facts!

You brand whore KTM riders need to wake up, your brand is k@k, Charlie Boorman said so!!!