Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1190 Adv (Non-R) Demo Ride  (Read 3071 times)

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
1190 Adv (Non-R) Demo Ride
« on: May 19, 2013, 07:19:16 pm »
To start off I just want to say than I have been spoilt by KTM and BMW since the launch of the new bikes.  I have spent more time than anyone else I know on bikes I do not own from both manufacturers.  And if I cannot make a well informed choice by now, something must be wrong.....  8)

This weekend I had the 1190 Adv from our local dealership, Marathon Motors in Bloem.  Some impressions to follow....
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Sandban(g)k

Re: 1190 Adv (Non-R) Demo Ride
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:23:20 pm »
Sub

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 10:09:41 pm »
The bikes have been around for long enough to not spend time on the looks.  We all know by now what they look like.  The 1190R looks the part.  Everybody wants it.  For the wrong reasons.  It can be forgiven to an extent, because the orange frame and crash bars with the white and black paint with some orange and the one piece seat really do look nice in combination.  The "normal" 1190 looks a little dull in comparison.  That is where the problem lies.  The 1190 Adv is "under rated" and the R is "over rated", both for the wrong reasons.

For starters, I knew I was going to do some miles on the 1190, so I had to check out the tools to make sure I can do whatever needed along the road.  The toolkit is nice and comprehensive, like the 990.  No need for extra tools for basic jobs like removing a wheel.

And it fits nicely under the back seat, with plenty space for extra stuff.

I knew the electronics from my previous ride, but this bike was now beyond the 1000 km service and I went through all the settings to ensure that I know what goes where and how.  I found the new GS simpler to operate.  The multi function buttons on the left handlebar are easy to use, but it takes a lot more presses of a button to get to the right screen, select what needs to change and actually changing the setting.  I got used to the sequence, and it is not really something that I would use much whilst riding, but if you are going to scroll between trip meters, favourites, suspension settings, riding modes, head light operation, ABS / MTC settings, etc your eyes will be off the road for too long.  Adding a GPS will make it even "worse".  The GS has a button for each function.  Like heated grips you switch on and off with a specific button.  Same with ABS, Suspension, etc.  On the 1190, you first have to find the right screen, then change the setting.  Not a big deal, once the right things are on and off, you don't really need to look at it again.  But the temptation to fiddle is there.

The instruments are clear and easily visible.  Riding mode, suspension setting, fuel & temp, time, gear position and speed are always displayed on the LCD display.  The computer screen on the left shows everything else in a series of scrollable screens.

I settled for Sport mode, Sport suspension, Rider+Pillion, Dim always on, ABS and MTC off, Gear shift indicator at 9000 rpm.  Enough about settings....

I changed the front seat to the high position and removed the rubber pads from the pegs, rotated the handlebar mounting posts forward and rotated the bars a little forward in the clamps to make the standing position comfortable.  The bike now felt rideable,  very rideable....

I had the 1200 GS and the 950 SE at home, and did a small test.  Which bike can ride the smallest circle in fig 8 format?

Did some test / practice runs and I was a little surprised.  Then took some measurements to make sure.  To measure is to know....

What you see it that the GS tuns sharper than the 1190.  Therefore it wins the small circle competition hands down.  The 990 also turns a smaller circle than the 1190.  The stoppers on the 950 SE can turn right in until the forks just miss the frame at full lock.  There is no screen to limit the handle bar movement, and it can make a sharp turn.  The 1190 has fixed stoppers cast into the bottom triple clamp, no adjustment.  It does turn sharper than the 990 / 950 Adv.  Anything does.  The lesson is that the GS will continue to win the short turning "skills challenge" type competitions.

The new bikes have nice lights.  The 1190 is no exception.  Works well and very visible.  Dim and bright still normal bulbs with the LED daylight riding lights.

The wheel sizes on the Adv are the same as the 1200 GS.  170/17 rear and 120/19 front.  The good part is that there will be a larger choice of tyres soon, sharing size range with the BMW will bring the price down as volumes increase.  Building a high speed knobbly for the R may be a little more problematic, no other bike shares the sizes and speed capability - so the tyres will have to be specially developed.  Personally, I think that it is not a big deal, we have been doing > 160 on TKC's for ever on the 950 / 990's.  With the new bike, your ability to be above 160 for extended periods on gravel is limited most of the time by the terrain anyway.  On tar, the knobbly weave will probably make you close the throttle before 250.  Time will teach some lessons here.  Lets hope that a tyre that costs R 500, rated 250 km/h, lasts 20 000 km, with the traction of a Metzeler Karoo on gravel and Anakee on tar will be out soon.....  Wishful thinking....

Lets ride the bike....

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:10:56 pm by SGB »
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 10:17:07 pm »
 :thumleft:

Offline Jondu

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 10:23:02 pm »
 :spitcoffee:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 10:26:19 pm »
The Inland BMW club had a breakfast run to Smithfield, and the annual KANSA run in Petrusburg was on later in the morning.  So a few of us made plans to attend both and stick to the gravel roads for the entire round trip.  The nice part was that the shortcut from Smithfoeld to Petrusburg is gravel.  On tar, you have to go back to Bloem, and then work your way to Petrusburg via some Stop-Go roadworks.  So the five of us had the best plan.  Me on the 1190, 1 x 990R, 2 x 1200 GS and 1 x 1200 GSA.

Took off from Bfn, and hit the gravel road to Edenburg - next to the N1 along the railway track.  The 1190's handling on gravel impressed straight away.  The power delivery and suspension are class leading.  No question.  It soaks up "sinkplaat" amazingly well and I did not bottom the suspension anywhere.  And we had to get to Smithfield quickly.  Cold eggs and tea was just too much of a risk, so the urge to open the throttle a little was quite justified.  Arrived in Smithfield with a smile on my face.  The 1190 is like honey in Rooibos tea.  The bike surprisingly make the tyres work not too bad, even on gravel.  There is some wheel spin, but at no point did I feel out of control.  Never even a hint of tank slapping.  Not sure if it is thanks to the steering damper, but I am convinced that the Austrians put it there for good reason.  Three words: "What a machine!...."

Ground clearance is not the same as the R.  20mm less.  75mm less than the 990R (2010).  Same as a 1200 GS.  On a gravel road it is fine like that.  I have ridden the R as well.  The Adv handles better.  Easier to ride and corner at speed, including gravel roads.  If you are not going to need the ground clearance, I don't see why you should choose the R.  Really.

Breakfast in Smithfield was good.  The tea and eggs were hot.  We made it in time.

www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 10:56:47 pm »
After some sharing of wisdom, the team of 5 set off for Petrusburg.  Fuelled up first.  The 990R took 14 litres, the 1190 took 15.  So it is not lighter on fuel when ridden more or less between the torque peak and power peak for long periods.

The short cut gravel road to Petrusburg is about 190 km.  We rode right through, making only short stops to re-group at junctions.  John took a ride on the 1190.  Now he is confused.  Don't ride it if you feel that one bike is enough....

The bike is impressive.  Did I mention the suspension.  And acceleration.  That is what makes is exciting.  You can ride it hard into corners.  The corners all have serious "sinkpaat" corrugations.  It just makes everything feel smooth.  The Austrians are onto something here.  Why would you want the R?  What is it really built for?  From the cockpit, you will not beat the feel of the 1190 Adv on a gravel (or tar) road.

What you need to build and test a gravel road....

Arrived in Petrusburg and found Flip and the Kimberley bikers combined with all the Bloem ones and they had a merry festival going.  We were just in time for lunch!  I could still taste the tea from Smithfield....  Lots of bikes and people there.  My camera is not big enough to catch all of them....  Here is a small bunch of them.

We spent some time over potjiekos with the other half of the BMW club and shared some more wisdom.  The team of 5 became 4 when we realised that the festivities were nearing the end and we saddled up for the last stretch home.  Riding along on the gravel, singing in my helmet, I passed a gate and remembered a twin track road through some farm land from previous rides.  Turned in and the 1190 continued to impress.  It just soaks up the road and makes the riding a pleasant experience.

There is a little stretch of thick sand tracks too, and the bike did not even think of going off line.  It obeyed rider input with no complaint, stubbornness or disobedience.  Lekker....   Knobbly tyres will just make it even better....

Back on the gravel, we completed the last stretch to the tar road where where we tested some limits again....  120 + VAT....

To complete a good day's riding, we did a few uphills, downhills and corners through "Stuck in the Mud", our local 4x4 track. 

A good day's riding - 500 odd km's with breakfast and lunch thrown in.  What a day.  What a group to ride with.  What a bike!

Thanks to Oom Dougie for offering the bike to me, it was great playing with it.  As riders, we are spoilt for choice with all the new bikes.  It is easy to have fun....  :thumleft:
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline PEET WEET

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • KTM .. I'F you Hesitate... Accelerate !
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 11:02:44 pm »
Hel julle moenie n 990 R agter n 1190 sit nie......Hy klim en ry haar sommer :imaposer:

Sorry SGB...ek moes net  ;)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 11:03:13 pm by PEET WEET »
KTM   --  KRONREIF  TRUNKENPOLZ  MATTIGHOFEN
KTM   --   KARLO TIETO MARIO !!

THE ORIGINAL WHITE  PANT RIDER   !!!
:paw:

Offline Jondu

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 11:05:03 pm »
Hel julle moenie n 990 R agter n 1190 sit nie......Hy klim en ry haar sommer :imaposer:

N nice bike wat kan grondpad ry  :lol8:

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 11:08:17 pm »
Vir iemand soos ek, 110kg 1.96m wat 95% teer ry maar meer van die "offroad " look hou....
Watse een sal jy aanbeveel?

Offline GSing

• Race Dog
  • Direct Your Adventure
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 11:16:36 pm »
Dankie Stefan  :thumleft:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 11:19:48 pm »
Vir iemand soos ek, 110kg 1.96m wat 95% teer ry maar meer van die "offroad " look hou....

Offroad look? Dis hoekom meeste ouens die R koop.  As dit belangriker is as beter hantering is dit jou keuse.  Of sit oranje crashbars op die Adv en ry lekkerder.  ;)
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 11:20:52 pm »

Hy moet haar eers vang.....  >:D
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 11:24:11 pm »

Offroad look? Dis hoekom meeste ouens die R koop.  As dit belangriker is as beter hantering is dit jou keuse.  Of sit oranje crashbars op die Adv en ry lekkerder.  ;)
Ja man, daardie groot voor wiel en hoe suspension

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 11:54:00 pm »

Ja man, daardie groot voor wiel en hoe suspension
Soos vir Bolt om die 100m met rugbystewels te hardloop.  Die off-road look is mooier.....  :biggrin:
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 12:19:10 am »
My turn this week... :sip:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 10:18:01 am »
I might disappear with the bike..... 8)

Enjoy Rob.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 10:41:29 am »
I might disappear with the bike..... 8)

Enjoy Rob.
>:D We will hunt you down! :imaposer:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 04:20:13 pm »
OK, the bike is back safely.  All yours now....

I have one concern, been wondering if I should share it.  But it may save a moment, so here it is.

Both the 1190 Adv and R have fairly wide front rims.  And we all changed our 990 rims from 2.15" to 1.85".  The R is now 2.5" and the Adv even wider.  We all know that smileys used to be (still is?) a common thing on the 990.  But it has a tube and was no big deal.  As long as you cannot see the tube it is still good to go.  With the tubeless tyre, it is quite likely to cause a sudden blow-out and that can be a big deal.  I know of one case in the FS already where an 1190 R had to be recovered after a smiley and flat tyre that would not seal again.  Keeping the tyre pressure up, speed down and looking where you are going all help. But easier said than done.... I have not had an opportunity yet to see what the rim looks like inside, but I presume that it cannot be that difficult to remove the tubeless valve and pressure sensor and put a tube in to get home.    Who has seen the inside of the rim? 

My preference is still tubed wheels.  Call me old fashioned.....  :xxbah:
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline Goatman

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 04:35:49 pm »
 :thumleft: Thanks Stefan, your reports are always fantastic and non biased
Ride it like you stole it!!!