Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 1190 Adv (Non-R) Demo Ride  (Read 3075 times)

Offline weskus

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vrek gewerk!!
Re: 1190 Adv (Non-R) Demo Ride
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 04:38:24 pm »
Subscribed..
Vorige scooters : Suzuki TS 185, Honda CD 200, Suzuki PE 250, Kawasaki Z650, Yamaha 495 IT, Kawasaki KLX 300, BMW F 650 GS Dakar, BMW F 800 GS, KDX200, KTM300, Suzuki GSXR1000, Honda CD200, KTM 1290 Superduke (stukkend geval) tans KTM 990 Adv - toer,  KTM 300 XCW- funrides,Honda Z50 Monkeybike(projek), Honda ST70 Dax, Honda CX500 Custom - bar toe..

Offline Buffel B

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • BMW R1200 GSA LC
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 06:35:09 pm »
Dankie vir jou report. Great !!
Volg die Renoster-metode : "Kop-af en beur-vorentoe"

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 08:28:50 pm »
I paid less for my R than what the Adv sells for.

So I'm happy with my choice.

Think I was the first guy in SA to get discount on the 1190  :biggrin:  :thumleft:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 09:30:40 pm »
I paid less for my R than what the Adv sells for.

So I'm happy with my choice.

Think I was the first guy in SA to get discount on the 1190  :biggrin:  :thumleft:

Is the correct translation: "I should have taken an Adv, but I liked the look of the R, and they would not give any discount on the Adv - so I reluctantly settled for the R just because it was so cheap...."   ;D    Sounds like a responsible financial decision.....  8)
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:29 pm »
Nope.

I ordered the Adv. It was due the Monday morning. The Friday I took the Adv and the R out back to back for a loooong testride.

Came back and changed my Adv to the R.

I still say the R is better, handles better, the ride is more comfortable, and the R seat is ALSO more comfortable.

If there was a R15 000 difference between the two bikes, then all stories around why you choose what can lead up to why you actually tried to save the R15000. But now it is not. Difference is almost nothing money wise.

So money is not the factor between the two. You buy what you think is the better bike of the two, and for me it is the R.

The wider handlebars makes a huge difference on the R. But I see in no ride reports they even mention it. So I guess nobody even knew it  :imaposer:  :imaposer: So much for a bike tester  :imaposer:

The Adv feels like a small bike.
The R feels like a Big bike.
If I wanted the feel of a 800, I would buy a 800 for R50 000 less  :thumleft:
When on the Adv it feels like you are looking DOWN on the clocks, on the R you get the feeling the clocks are infront of your view.

Everyone I spoke to in person who rode both, said they will take the R. It is only here on WD that I see the opposite.

Two friends took the R and Adv out for a whole morning. Swopping bikes the whole time as they went. I was at KTM when they came back. Strange that both said the Adv is KAK(their words) and the R is the bike they want  ???
Ride both, buy what you want. That is what I say  :thumleft:

Lastly, did you do a long ride with the new R, or only the Adv  :pot:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 11:51:18 pm »
Manic, I did spend a full day on the R as well.  As a direct opponent for the GS, I still say the Adv is the one.  The road handling is better.  With the bike being lower, and the 19/17 wheels, it really handles well.  There is nothing about the R that is "better" in that department.  Tyre choices will be more - same sizes as the BMW, larger volumes.  The Adv pleasantly surprised me after all the negative comments like yours.  That is why I took it and rode it on gravel roads, just to see how "bad" it really was.  On gravel roads, it is no worse than the R.  And on tar it handles better.  I could not get the same top speed out of the R on the tar.

But if you are going to spend a lot of time in riding conditions where the long travel suspension, bigger wheels, wider bars and extra ground clearance will make a significant difference, the R is awesome.  I liked the R seat more, but they are interchangeable, so that is easy to solve.  I am just not so sure if I want to play in 990 territory with a bike as good looking as the 1190 R.  It does not crash as well as a 990....  Saw it with the one that high-sided at the launch and the ones Simon and Donovan dropped.  And I suspect that the front rim and bash plate will not survive some of the trips I have enjoyed on my 990.

If I had to get an 1190 today, it would be the R.  But I would not be trying to replace my 1200 GS with it.  There the Adv wins.  I would also not be trying to replace my 990R with the 1190R.  It created a new market segment with one player.  It is a bit like my 950 SE. Built for a market and riding territory that does not exist if you have to look at the cold facts.  But still a lot of fun to own and ride.  Nothing wrong with that.   8)

If the Adv is KAK and the R is awesome, there is a fairly thin margin between the two.  It is actually quite close to the same thing.... But different enough to be different.   :)

In general, I think the dealers should explain the advantages of the Adv to the right potential buyer.  The R will sell itself.  It will be bought.  The Adv will be sold.  It is also awesome for the right application.

I am not here to dictate to anyone what to buy, but I do try and look practically and I am honestly sharing my personal impressions.  I do not mind anyone disagreeing - I am cool with that.   :thumleft:

Enjoy the R.  I might have one too one day.....   :biggrin:  Good to see that in the end it was not the discount that dictated the final decision....  :lol8:
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 11:57:17 pm »
The wider handlebars makes a huge difference on the R. But I see in no ride reports they even mention it. So I guess nobody even knew it  :imaposer:  :imaposer: So much for a bike tester  :imaposer:

I do not qualify as a bike tester - still have a long way to go, but at least picked that up.   :deal: 

Read here:  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=122413.0

Handlebars are wider on the R
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 12:02:49 am »
Both is awesome bikes.

I just prefer the R  :thumleft:

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 12:15:59 am »
My advice to anyone is, although you think the difference is small, make sure to ride both.

For ME, they felt like two complete different bikes when I rode them.

You will get the Adv supporters, and then the R supporters  :thumleft:

:biggrin:   :biggrin:   :thumleft:    :thumleft:

Offline paulb

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 05:27:11 am »

I do not qualify as a bike tester - still have a long way to go, but at least picked that up.   :deal: 

Read here:  http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=122413.0

Handlebars are wider on the R

The handlebars on the R is 10 mm longer than the ADV , that is 5 mm on each side , it is a very good selling point  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Better to have it and not need it , than to need it and not have it

Offline ALLAWYN

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 07:10:21 pm »
First I have have to say that I am extremely biased towards the colour Orange and that I don't like Harley's or Gs's, (not any more since I started on a GS like bike.)

Since the first rumours concerning the 1190 occurred I started reading and researching, and in doing so screwed up my priorities in life, 1190R or nothing. I also started saving up and have the money available, in my cheque account, not on a fixed deposit or any deposit for that matter. I was allocated the third 1190R from Hennie in Nelspruit, and I cancelled it. I was very confused and he allocated me another one. I drove the 295km to him on Monday, bakkie with bike trailer en alles, including straps, the works. I sat on my arse next to the bike for an hour, attracting a lot off onlookers, and I drove home with an empty trailer. Thank you Hennie for you patience.

I will buy a 1190R one day, its the most beautiful mechanical creation ever, but it cannot replace Koning, my 2010 990R with Hilton's suspension. I like to ride my 240kg bike where 300's goes. You have to redesign the 1190R with your own funds to be able to remotely achieve that.

My personal Orthopedic Surgeon recently told me I have to get a knee replacement or join the Harley cult, I rather walk with crutches than do that, but the day will come that my 990R runs out of km's and I have to change, that is the day that my knee will be replaced by metal surfaces and I start riding the 1190R, or why not the Adventure, it is not going to make a difference then ???

Offline GG

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
    • G Spot
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 08:50:37 pm »
I sat on my arse next to the bike for an hour, attracting a lot off onlookers, and I drove home with an empty trailer.

I generally find you'll get a better sense of the bike when you sitting on it blikseming down a dirt road.....   glad you did not ride it properly otherwise you'd not have driven home with an empty trailer  ;D

I'm keen to see the first ride report where the 990 brigade and an 1190 R (with real tyres) do a proper trip offroad and do a real comparison!!! 

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 10:04:10 pm »
I'm keen to see the first ride report where the 990 brigade and an 1190 R (with real tyres) do a proper trip offroad and do a real comparison!!! 
Watch this space.....  The 1190R will need a much narrower front rim with a tube first - amongst some other mods before one can take it on an expedition.  Otherwise it will have a smiley after the first rock and be stuck because the wheel will not pump up again.  Or we would have to keep it at 2.5 bar, stay out of the rocks and keep the speed down.  Which we will do once Alwyn has had his knee replacement.....   :biggrin:
www.countrytrax.co.za

Offline Hondsekierie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 10:13:49 pm »
Watch this space.....  The 1190R will need a much narrower front rim with a tube first - amongst some other mods before one can take it on an expedition.  Otherwise it will have a smiley after the first rock and be stuck because the wheel will not pump up again.  Or we would have to keep it at 2.5 bar, stay out of the rocks and keep the speed down.  Which we will do once Alwyn has had his knee replacement.....   :biggrin:

Wat van n sagte hamertjie om die rim terug te slaan tot die die 'tyre' weer ordentlike bead het om teen te kan 'seat' ;)
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 10:14:03 pm »
The extreme bike will stay the 950 SE  :biggrin:  :thumleft:

Offline Mooch

« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 10:14:23 pm »
Nice  write-ups.  :thumleft:
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 10:16:12 pm »
Fok julle ouens kan moun ek sę  :imaposer:

Nes n Boer by die hoer.

Dan is dit te nat
Dan is dit te droog
Dan moun hy oor die prys.

:laughing4:

Offline Hondsekierie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 SE
  • Away we go!!! Bikes: 690RFR, 950SE, 990Adv
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 10:17:31 pm »

Wil jy sien hoe lyk my SE jou fokken maniak?  :biggrin:
“There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more"

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 10:19:24 pm »

Wil jy sien hoe lyk my SE jou fokken maniak?  :biggrin:

Gooi ek kyk en drool  :drif:

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 10:19:40 pm »

Wat van n sagte hamertjie om die rim terug te slaan tot die die 'tyre' weer ordentlike bead het om teen te kan 'seat' ;)

Ons het in Angola met die S10 gesien dit werk net tot op 'n punt.  'n Hamer se impak kraak daai rim sommer gou, dan is die issue groter.  Press werk beter.  Maar dit eindig op dieselfde plek.  Bewerige voorwiel met 'n tjoep in.
www.countrytrax.co.za