Nooitgedacht-Breedtsnek

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armpie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I know there are a number of out ride reports to Breedtsnek on this forum.  But on a Sunday afternoon I went alone on a short ride from Pretoria.  Out on Church Street West, past Pelindaba, past Scheerpoort.  At Hekpoort I took the dirt road to Nooitgedacht.  Nooitgedacht was the last big battle of the Anglo Boer War.  On 13 December 1900 Generals de la Rey, Kemp, Smuts and Beyers attacked the British on the highest point of the mountain and then the camp on the southern foot of the mountain.  The british suffered a heavy defeat.  The British soldiers's grave's were later moved from the Nooitgedacht graveyard to Krugersdorp.  Today only one grave remains.  The grave of "Burgher JC van Zyl", from the staff of Gen Kemp.  I stopped there in the bush(with the farmers consent).  From Nooitgedacht I turned west to Breedtsnek.  Had a cold water on top of the mountain and returned through Askari Lodge- where I had a beer before going home. I will later write a more comprehensive report- should anybody be interested in this stuff

https://img836.imageshack.us/img836/6577/100qap.jpg