Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 4T or 2T?  (Read 64373 times)

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
Re: 4T or 2T?
« Reply #760 on: June 10, 2016, 11:31:41 am »
Wihan you will afford more if you damage your bike less  :peepwall:
Al die tail reg gemaak of ry hy maar weer die naweek so?

Offline Buff

« Reply #761 on: June 10, 2016, 11:41:47 am »
Jirrre Buff...did you win the lotto? ;)

I ride whatever I can afford and hold on to. O0

Spend the kids inheritance boet, you only live once  ;)
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Wihan

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husaberg (all models)
« Reply #762 on: June 10, 2016, 12:18:45 pm »
Wihan you will afford more if you damage your bike less  :peepwall:
Al die tail reg gemaak of ry hy maar weer die naweek so?
Pom

Cable ties.... :ricky:

Offline Rough Rider

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #763 on: June 11, 2016, 11:21:51 am »
(my buddy on a newer YZ 250 4Stroke was slowing the group down  >:D same skill level!)

I'm not so sure about him having the same skill levels if he is slowing the group down. The newer 250 4t's go like shit off a shovel.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 11:23:29 am by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Rossdog

« Reply #764 on: June 12, 2016, 10:15:46 am »
My itch is getting worse very day. Maybe time to sell my 2013 'Berg and get a 2017 KTM. The 2017 KTM's/Huskies are keeping me awake at night. I don't know about the air forks on the Huskies though... I can see their advantage on an MX track, but the jury is still out as whether they will cut it on an endure bike. The new KTM oil forks (Xplor) have to be better than the OC forks they are replacing. KYB SSS left them behind long ago. My 'Berg has 4CS forks, and although they are OK, I find them very sensitive to different terrains. At least they are easy to adjust.

Anyone keen on a 2013 Husaberg 300 formerly ridden by Graham Jarvis and later by a balding old fart wannabe? I have to add that after having owned many enduro bikes, this particular 300 has been by far the most enjoyable and reliable.
'69 Model.

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #765 on: June 12, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »
One lives and learns. Some further insight into this question, fwiw  :biggrin:

I bought a KTM 300 XC in September last year after a really bad day when I got heat exhaustion WAAAY out in the desert from fighting the beastly KTM 450 XCF for hours on a nasty singletrack ride one day.  I decided it's OVER, I need a 2- stroke.....300, specifically. If the XC wasn't a 6-speed, I would have bought a 300 XCW.

Some observations:
1) 4-strokes are HEAVY compared to 2-strokes, even 250F's. Hardly breaking news.
2) KTM 'W' 6- speed (or equivalent) models are the 4-stroke bike of choice for anything technical. You really need that granny gear low down. I think I fried my 5-speed XCF's clutch doing nasty singletrack.
3) Playing with the powervalve on a 2-stroke is like swapping engines. Unbelievable how much even half a turn in or out changes the hit. Much more flexible than 4-strokes in that regard.
4) 250 F's are more fun than a set of naked Swedish bikini twins, but they are still heavy, and maintenance pigs. You'll do the top end as much or more than a 2-stroke, except it's not nearly as easy or cheap.
5) The new Yamaha X models are excellent by any standard, but substantially heavier (around 10kg) than the equivalent KTM's or Huskies.  Same with Honda X's. That makes them a big no-no for tight technical stuff.
6) A converted 2-stroke MXer can only be modifid so far into an off-road bike. I did it with my 1999 KTM 250 SX, no expense spared, but it's nowhere near as good as a dedicated off-road model 'W' type.
7) REPEAT: Trying to do technical or even off-road racing stuff on an unmodified MXer, 2- or 4- stroke, is like masturbating with 60 grit sandpaper.
8) 4-stroke is better for long distance NON-TECHNICAL stuff.
9) Sad but true for some,  KTM's off-road bikes are the current sharp end. 2- or 4- stroke. No contest.

Besides......I still remember how I laughed out loud when I first rode this 300, my first 2-stroke since the '99 KTM 250 SX. You simply can't beat that FUN factor  :ricky:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:55:58 am by Whethefakawe »
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline Whethefakawe

« Reply #766 on: June 12, 2016, 07:54:09 pm »
So the verdict is........you need one of each  :lol8:
You been using dogsh*t for toothpaste, Mullet?

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #767 on: October 10, 2018, 10:38:07 am »
 :peepwall:

Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline OFFROAD FANATICS

« Reply #768 on: October 10, 2018, 11:21:41 am »
My itch is getting worse very day. Maybe time to sell my 2013 'Berg and get a 2017 KTM. The 2017 KTM's/Huskies are keeping me awake at night. I don't know about the air forks on the Huskies though... I can see their advantage on an MX track, but the jury is still out as whether they will cut it on an endure bike. The new KTM oil forks (Xplor) have to be better than the OC forks they are replacing. KYB SSS left them behind long ago. My 'Berg has 4CS forks, and although they are OK, I find them very sensitive to different terrains. At least they are easy to adjust.

Anyone keen on a 2013 Husaberg 300 formerly ridden by Graham Jarvis and later by a balding old fart wannabe? I have to add that after having owned many enduro bikes, this particular 300 has been by far the most enjoyable and reliable.

I have had my 2017 ktm xcf with the airforks for 18 months now and have done just over a 100 hours on it with mostly technical terrain and they are the bomb. Some people call it the poor man`s cone valve forks. I can ride one gear higher over loose rocks compared to the older ktm`s forks. The xplores are very plush which helps alot when you want to clear a tree stump but the bike is unstable when you start speeding. Aer 48 forks are ver nice!
KEEP THE MOMENTUM - 2017 KTM 350 XCF
KAKAF TOT MôRE - 2017 KTM 300 XCW
KAN TRUMP MOTORCYCLES  - 2014 KTM 1190 R
KEEN TO MOVE - 2013 KTM RC8R - THE ORIGINAL DNA