4T or 2T?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonova

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
OK so the topic has probably been discussed at length.... but here's my questions for the wise ones please:

For an event like the roof.... what is better - not just to ride the event, but training etc too? i'm not talking WINNING the roof - i know that answer. But finnishing?
If we compare a bike like the Yamaha or KTM 2T 250 and a 4T 250 of reputable brand.... what's the difference? Is it a weight difference? Are the smaller/lighter 4T just too expensive to run and train on? am i missing something obvious?
Thing is - i grew up on 4T bikes on the farm. and i'm home now for a bit and rode my KTM 250 XC-W and the farm Yamaha TTR 230 back to back.... ok so the ttr lacked power and suspension etc and would not me a contender imo for my roof, but jeez the 4T's are just so damn easy to ride? much less effort required for normal riding and they appear so much smoother? I'm always on and off the gas on my 2T (yes - it's FUN!!!!), while on my 4T (farm bike and BMW 450) it appears smoother, easier to control the power and less tiring (if we ignore the effort in man-handling the 450 in the rough stuff).
EVERYONE i ride with in the fairly technical riding of inanda valley etc in KZN rides 2T's. Is that cause everyone thinks we are roof winners? Or is it that they are just that much better? I don't really get it though cause hectic power is the last thing you need in really technical terain if you just want to "get there". I've never ridden a race ready 4T 250, so i'm wondering what tthe guru's say?
:thumleft: