Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Post a pic of your rim.  (Read 19178 times)

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Re: Post a pic of your rim.
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2014, 08:37:24 pm »
I am not worried about the look of the smiley. My steering isn't so leke now with the smiley.

Need to get wheel balance I suppose. The after moering it with a rubber hammer I am going to see
If it will not lose air. If that does not work the I am going to throw some slime in
6k for a new front rim from Ktm is ridiculous

Just find out before you do that if the slime will affect the tire pressure monitoring system.

I am thinking of running my wheels with nitrogen to help keep the heat build up a bit lower on long distance rides.

Your wheels have 80% N in them already.  How is 20% more going to affect heat build up?  Tubes are a little more admin to change on the road.  But once you get comfortable doing it, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.  But that is just me....
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2014, 08:46:05 pm »
Had a chat to Rad - front kit is about R4k (spokes, spoke nipples and narrower DID rim (1.85 I think) they use your old hub

Also got them to give me rough idea of complete front wheel and(DID rim) (including bake discs and everything else required is about R12 500 have to order some bits and bobs.

they confirmed that the 990 rear wheel (DID Rim) fits the 1190 (have to change sprockets and brake discs (with some other bits and bobs) Complete rear wheel - so that you can just swop around) is about R14500 

So possible but an expensive exercise - have to sleep over it - but might still get a set with Mitas E09 front and rear - so on road tyres during the week and off-road tyres over the weekend - and still cheaper than a second bike.  I will also add quick axle pullers so should be a 20min job

I stayed with the std 990 rear wheel.  Could not source a DID with correct width.  The SE rear rim is narrower and you have to run 140 tyres.  Front with 1.85" DID works.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2014, 10:23:34 pm »
I am not worried about the look of the smiley. My steering isn't so leke now with the smiley.

Need to get wheel balance I suppose. The after moering it with a rubber hammer I am going to see
If it will not lose air. If that does not work the I am going to throw some slime in

Just find out before you do that if the slime will affect the tire pressure monitoring system.

I am thinking of running my wheels with nitrogen to help keep the heat build up a bit lower on long distance rides.

Your wheels have 80% N in them already.  How is 20% more going to affect heat build up?  Tubes are a little more admin to change on the road.  But once you get comfortable doing it, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.  But that is just me....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair-questions/4302788

When I was riding on the N2 between Pongola and Hluhluwe in january I saw my tire pressure went up to 2.8bar up front and 3.6 on the rear wheel. The heat build up is not really the issue for me, but when the moisture heats up and then expands the pressure increases as well. I dont know if I am way off base here but I have heard that an over inflated tire can compromise grip.

But if I am wrong I would gladly accept advice.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Mocke

« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2014, 11:07:40 am »
With the 300 plastic bike I spend quite a lot of time in the mountains. Traction noticeably improved when I converted the wheels to the tubeless (tubliss) system. This was especially notable in the times it rained and traction became more of a problem. Why do you think track bikes go to light weight composite wheels; simply the lower reciprocating mass improves handling and the suspension can do a better job. I do not like the extra weight of an ultra-thick inner tube and my opinion is to stay away from inner tubes as much as possible unless it becomes a safety issue. Another example is the foot-up trail bikes. They run tubeless because every bit of traction is required.

Maybe I am going if the topic a bit but I will keep my 1190 stock wheels as long as they`re round. ;D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:12:47 am by Mocke »

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2014, 08:54:15 pm »
Just put a claim in with the insurance company, going to get another rim from RAD. Will
Ride with 2.5 bar to make sure no smileys occur.

Have they done anything to the 2014 rims ?
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2014, 10:07:02 pm »
Just put a claim in with the insurance company, going to get another rim from RAD. Will

Well I have the 2014 and both rims got damage, I might not be the lightest or slowest rider but I am not that brave
XR650R the one and only

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2014, 03:18:36 pm »

Well I have the 2014 and both rims got damage, I might not be the lightest or slowest rider but I am not that brave

I thought so, hell man. What other option does a man have. Ride around with this front wheel wobbling. Around at160kmh is not my idea of fun. And I also want to use my tpms so tube is out.

Excess is R500 so will see how the 2014 rim works
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2014, 05:27:28 pm »

I thought so, hell man. What other option does a man have. Ride around with this front wheel wobbling. Around at160kmh is not my idea of fun. And I also want to use my tpms so tube is out.

Excess is R500 so will see how the 2014 rim works

The only option I can think of to keep the standard rims would be fitting a tire with a very stiff sidewall, and keeping it on the recommended pressure even offroad. My damage occurred on the stock tires  running the recommended pressure. So I decided to never deflate them when going off road. I had the damage with the suspension in comfort setting, preload set to full.
XR650R the one and only

Offline Shockwave

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2014, 07:07:16 pm »

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair-questions/4302788

When I was riding on the N2 between Pongola and Hluhluwe in january I saw my tire pressure went up to 2.8bar up front and 3.6 on the rear wheel. The heat build up is not really the issue for me, but when the moisture heats up and then expands the pressure increases as well. I dont know if I am way off base here but I have heard that an over inflated tire can compromise grip.

But if I am wrong I would gladly accept advice.

The problem is most probably that moisture has got into your tyres through an undessicated air line.  The remedy is to take the tyres off, dry the insides and rims thoroughly, and when you inflate, make sure it's from a high quality pump that includes a dessicator to ensure the air is moisture free.

Moisture inside tyres turns to vapor during a long run (as the tyres heat up) and can lead to tyres bursting due to the massive increase in "gas" pressure in the tyres.

Offline Craigor

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2014, 09:54:31 am »
I have the 2014 model, just went past 6600km. Lowered my tyre pressure to 2 bar front and 2.2 bar back for a bit of Lesotho's dirt mountain pass travel, and then the trouble started.
Picked up 3 smileys  on the front rim, nothing on the back. Had to nurse the bike to Mokhotlong with about 10 stops to pump tyres. Beat the smileys out with a claw hammer and continued the trip on to Sani Pass, had to do a bit more repairs at Himeville at the friendly guys from Yamaha, but made the trip back home with no more pressure loss.
The wheel is a little unbalanced at speed higher than 180km/h but has not lost any more pressure. I think the secret is to keep your tyre pressures above 2.4 bar.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2014, 10:03:48 am »
After I replaced complete front wheel, I kept front pressure at 2.5bar.

No smileys, but the rim aint round anymore. Looks like a rugby ball. And its a struggle to keep the front rim balanced  >:D

Stock rim is soft, very soft  :'(

Offline Toors

« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2014, 10:04:15 am »
I have the 2014 model, just went past 6600km. Lowered my tyre pressure to 2 bar front and 2.2 bar back for a bit of Lesotho's dirt mountain pass travel, and then the trouble started.
Picked up 3 smileys  on the front rim, nothing on the back. Had to nurse the bike to Mokhotlong with about 10 stops to pump tyres. Beat the smileys out with a claw hammer and continued the trip on to Sani Pass, had to do a bit more repairs at Himeville at the friendly guys from Yamaha, but made the trip back home with no more pressure loss.
The wheel is a little unbalanced at speed higher than 180km/h but has not lost any more pressure. I think the secret is to keep your tyre pressures above 2.4 bar.

no the solution is a pair of these Woody wheels:  http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911813&page=2
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline TornadoF5

• Limited Edition®
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • He who never dreams, sleeps his life away
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2014, 04:13:57 pm »
dude I can see why u bought an SE now

Always outnumbered, but NEVER outgunned.....

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2014, 04:56:59 pm »
And while I'm complaining  :pot:
The lights are SHIT  :pot:

170 odd km on gravel looked like this  :peepwall: And this is brights.

Wil nie jou thread hijack nie maar jy moet maar 3600 Lumen spots opsit. Hulle werk baie goed! Sien die verskil tussen normale lig en 3600 Lumen spots op 'n 990...
Hijack end.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2014, 11:18:41 am »
Just got two more smileys on the front wheel. Stock front tyre running at 3.2bar. Hit a small rock at around 100km/h and shortly afterward I had a flat.
XR650R the one and only

Offline fudgypup

• Beyond Starbucks
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2014, 09:38:23 pm »

nice huh?

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2014, 10:11:59 pm »
Teah I might have to ask the insurance to get me aftermarket rims, they would probably be cheaper than KTM original?
XR650R the one and only

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2014, 10:31:46 pm »
Teah I might have to ask the insurance to get me aftermarket rims, they would probably be cheaper than KTM original?

Two rims, two tyres, R30 000.

Offline fudgypup

• Beyond Starbucks
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2014, 11:42:37 pm »

nice huh?

These are a 21x1.60" / 18x2.50" set with black Excels (front A60, rear Takasago 7000) and Orange hubs by Rad mfg

For this set (neither front or rear sealed for tubeless), is US $1840 (R 19,650) + shipping. For another setup, inquire by emailing the shop: woodyswheelworks@gmail.com

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2014, 10:46:27 am »
Tube rims?

I will pass  :lol8: