Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Opinions on a Lighter DS BIKE for my Girlfriend  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Whaleson

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • One Whale Wolf Pack
Opinions on a Lighter DS BIKE for my Girlfriend
« on: May 29, 2013, 08:40:19 pm »
Hi Guys,

We're looking for a 2nd Bike so that my girlfriend can come tag along and fall in the mud. Budget is 50k Max. Since she plans to leave the tarmac we need a DS Bike she can manage. It needs decent long distance performance for those long road stretches but she wont have a problem taking on more technical offroading/trails/whatever the bike can travel on.

Things we've looked at:
1)  650GS Dakar
2) Vanilla 650GS single
3) 650GS twin
4) S10 660
5) KLR650
6) Transalp
7) Aprilia Pegaso

I'm partial to BMW simply because there are so many of them, makes maintenance and parts easier to come buy and there is a healthy 2nd hand market. The Transalp is an option but it weight doesn't count much in its favour. The S10 is a great bike but on the expensive side for our budget. (Its also the brand I have the most experience with).

The Pegaso was parked randomly next to a KLR so thats why its on the list. Its a very good looking machine, but its an Aprilia so I have real concerns regarding maintenance and accessory availability(which are basically none). 

Opinions?

Offline GD

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Opinions on a Lighter DS BIKE for my Girlfriend
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 08:42:44 pm »
The dakkie is perfect for what you want
GD

The only way out, is FLAT OUT!

Offline knightrat

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 08:51:58 pm »
Dakkie.. or an xt660?

Offline Dewie

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:13:06 pm »
Suzuki DR650?

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:34:30 pm »
Doubt you mean the S10. That's a 1200 cc, 250kg brut. You talking about the 660 Tenere. Great bike, but tall. The one to look at in your budget would be the 660 R.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline plugz1

• Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:41:31 pm »
DR650 - More offroad orientated.
KLR 650 - more road orientated.

Lecap's got a DR for sale, and I've got my KLR. Both second hand though, if you interested.
Very good bikes, reliable the both of them.
Honda XR 250 Tornado - Current
Kawasaki KLR 650 - Current
Honda E-storm - Passed down

Offline Sardine

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • I am not a dude.
    • The Flying Fish
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:45:14 pm »
So far I only ride on tar.
But I rode a DR650. First really big bike I've ever had the chance to play around with. I dropped it at a stop street when it stalled. I managed to pick it up by myself, uphill. It isn't super light, but it was do-able. I'm about 1.7m tall and weight 60kg. Not fit and not particularly strong.

Don't know if that helps when it comes to looking at weights and stuff of bikes for the softness  ???

Offline Stofdonkie

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:50:05 pm »
X-Country.
Carpe BM.

Offline zugger11

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 10:04:12 pm »
Hi

I have a  nice dakkie for your girlfriend that is well within your budget and in excellent condition. It is a 2002 model with 17300 km on the clock. Very nice bike but have to many bikes ned to sell as I will not get to ride it. PM ME AND I WILL SEND YOU PHOTOS TO YOUR PERSONAL E MAIL ADDRESS.
IF NOT WHY NOT

Offline Lem

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:19:54 pm »
Dakkie.. or an xt660?

ditto

en n G650 X-country  :thumleft:
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline Bubby

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 10:27:49 pm »
Don't forget a Ktm 640 has a dry weight nearly 20kg lighter than a Dakar.

A factor is also her height.

Offline Whaleson

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • One Whale Wolf Pack
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 10:28:30 pm »
Doubt you mean the S10. That's a 1200 cc, 250kg brut. You talking about the 660 Tenere. Great bike, but tall. The one to look at in your budget would be the 660 R.

Correct! I meant the 660. Luckily her Legs are long  ;D

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 10:31:53 pm »

Correct! I meant the 660. Luckily her Legs are long  ;D

In that case, if you can stretch the budget a bit, you'll never regret the 660 Z. BUT, its also nice to ride a bike like the R where you can plant your heels firmly on the ground. It can do distance although not nearly as comfortable as the Z.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Tonteldoos

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 10:50:19 pm »
I have a Pegaso for you @R30k has just been serviced
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Offline Wildcoast

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 05:20:34 am »
50k knocks all the twin cylinder bikes but the Transalp off the list, she will certainly be glad she is on the twin on the longer stretches, Alp is super reliable, low seat height as opposed to Tenere, Ktm640 etc and they are tough bikes to boot, the only down side is their fuel consumption really.

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 07:35:19 am »
KLR.....already got some built in wind protection...ok range...spares available as well as aftermarket stuff.
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Nightwind

• One life...experience it!
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 07:44:17 am »
I will go for the BMW 650 GS single. Trusted bullet-proof engine. Lower than the Dakar (for incase she is not tall enough). If she is a tall lady and can handle the Dakar, that will be the first choice.

Hope you are very happy with what you buy!!

One life...experience it!
One SHOULD be enough!

Offline lecap

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 08:04:23 am »
I saw DR650SE on special for R54,000 at Suzuki South. Brand new. Can't go better.

The DR does do long distances well (I have been as far as the Kunene) but it will NOT supercruise happily at 140 (at least I don't think it will, I feel sorry for the bike and myself doing more than 120 sustained).

IMHO all the bikes you have listed are too heavy to be really enjoyable off road or are at least a handful for someone who's not experienced. tall & reasonably strong.

Dakar, too tall, too heavy, too pretty.
Girlie GS: Too heavy, too pretty, limited offroad performance.
650 twin: As above. Although it stars with oodles of power compared to the singles. The choice if you actually want a road bike which looks like a DS. Direct competitor: Suzuki DL650 VStrom.
Tenere 660 & KLR: Capable allrounders but both a bit on the heavy side if it gets messy. Both also not exactly low. KLR  in dire need of crash bars to protect expensive bodywork and components.
The Transalp I would throw into the same category with the F650GS Twin and Suzuki DL650 VStrom although it has a slight advantage on dirt due to its 21" front and the related choice of tires (that is for the Transalp 650 only). The 700 and the old 600 are pretty much on par with the BMW & Suzuki Twins. A road bike with some dirt road capability. They demand both care & skill if used in rough dirt conditions and don't crash well unless protected with additional crash bars. On fast tar nothing will beat the twins. Even a Transalp 600 is more enjoyable at 140 that any of the singles.
The (early, 1994 - 2000) Pegaso is pretty much the same as the F650Funduro and shares a lot of parts and most of the engine.
The second generation (2001-) Pegaso shares its Minarelli-built engine with the current Yamahas XT660 models.
I rate both the Aprilias pretty much on par with the Girlie GS. Not really made for playing in the dirt, more for posing in front of a bar in Riomaggiore :D

650's qualifying as  lightweight & capable on dirt are the DR650SE, the Honda XR650L, the XChallenge and the KTM LC4's (620 / 640 & 690 - all around 150kg. They all crash fairly well too.

The Honda, XChallenge and the KTM's only really work for tall people (less some drastic modifications).
The XCountry might be an option (due to height) but I'm not too sure about its dirt capabilities and how well it crashes.
Maybe you can find one of the rare 620LC4 in the DS setup (19" front, relatively low). Just get rid of that lousy Dell' Orto carb ::)
The Suzuki is suitable for short riders due to the option to set the bike up lower without a significant loss in suspension performance.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline EssBee

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 08:12:05 am »
How competent a rider is she right now? If NOT then I feel the likes of a 650 is throwing her in the deep end...the weight will be too daunting for her. A learning curve would be advisable...first a smaller bike on which she will ease into it and improve/develop her riding skills. Then later go for the likes of a 650.

Offline Fester

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 08:14:03 am »
why not look at a KLE